S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Translation of Japanese XaCar article (informative, long, woody)

Old 08-30-2001, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of our Japanese contacts was nice enough to translate the Japanese XaCar Magazine article about our Japan trip this past June. I realize that some of the phrases seem straight out of babelfish, but it's worth looking over.

HondaS2000,Magic and fascination which are well-informed about the world

We love S2000! We want to drive with S2000!
Overseas people who love FR Open Sports, S2000 which made from HONDA overcome much distress, they could visit Japan at last. The Japan side which accepts also makes a great uproar. XaCAR which cooperated is also frantic against many foreigners at only two persons' editorial department member. A sight of them satisfied somehow is caught and it feels relieved.
HONDA S2000 owner came from the United States, Belgium, and Portugal. It is said that he wants to check the all by his eye in this country where S2000 which they love was made. The owner of Japan which responded to their ardent love scrambled for connection, fighting desperately in unfamiliar English, and reached this "S2K summit" holding. The present which XaCAR from which cooperation was requested prepared for them is the interview to a developer, and a type V experience run meeting in a Twin Ring Motegi multi-course. Rain Motegi rose by the active question and the hot run.
The enthusiast owners of western have visited Japan.
They want to see S2000's home country Nippon(Japan).
They satisfied with 'Takanezawa factory inspection' and Motegi run.

They want to meet with real parent of S2000.
According to a cooperation of Honda,Q&A session with a development person in charge were opened before Type V trial runnings. The participant from the Honda side is Mr. Masato Nakano who took charge of the design of S2000, and Mr. Hiroshi Suzuki, a chief engineer. I will introduce some the questions and replies which came out in this session performed by exceeding between scheduled time far beforehand.
Q Wasn't the midship engine considered?
A We did not think. We wanted to go by FR from the beginning. The concept of this car should express joy which opens the heart daily and which is manipulated. We want to make the real sport which not the expensive car like NSX but we can buy and enjoy. One more reason was that we want to make FR sports.
Q Although it is in the tendency for the engine to which big torque comes from low rotation to be liked, in the United States, are there any schedules also including such engine which carry another engine?
A Don't be. I think too that seemingly engine which rotation goes up by NA without limits to where is Honda. And the engine which turns to 9000 present rotations is a limit. Probably, it will not be able to turn any more.
Is [ the Japanese specification ] a horsepower of why higher compared with American specification?
A It is because tuning of engine was changed in accordance with the difference in the octane number of gasoline. Japan is 100 and Europe of 98 and the United States is 95. Therefore, U.S. specification serves as 240ps.
Q Although it is said that only the specified tire can be used, why is it? Is it because a place inadequate in somewhere is covered?
A A tire called S02 is specially developed to S2000. It also has Bridgestone do its best, and since it is horizontal rigidity, sound, and the thing that rolled and maintained balance at the very high dimension to resistance and the wet performance, I want to use the thing of exclusive use.
Since I had you come to Japan with much trouble, I want overseas owner to have an experience which can taste only in Japan. Then, XaCAR considered will have an experience trial ride of type V, i.e., VGS system, experienced. It asked them who ran the multi-course of Motegi with the wet road surface.

We love S2000! We want to drive with S2000!
They tried VGS which can be bought only in Japan.

Wet condition which can tell a certain semantic best one to experiencing a VGS system with unlucky rainy skies. It seemed that they who took Odyssey and came to the paddock seldom showed interest to the appearance of Type V which becoming better for the change does not carry out especially compared with Normal.
The set-up course is the course which the low-speed corner followed, and the thing which combined the perimeter way which gathers speed a little and runs. I carry out an easy briefing and have a course memorized by editorial department Tanaka's operation 1 round first of all. After that operation shift. It is 2 rounds shortly. I have a steering grasped himself.
When a car began to have moved, their expression changed. The motion is gazed at earnestly. Soon, if the first driver begins to grasp a steering, he will change to the expression which smiled wholly. It seems that it is driving without sense of incongruity since it is in a course although it is the first car-with-right-hand-steering experience. Because the steering of S2000 was wholly grasped from usually, in spite of having directed to run slowly, each of corners is regardless cleared at unexpected speed. Although especially the American regarded the course in which a small corner continued etc. as poor, he has grasped the steering by the expression made into willingly.
If it is going to ask comment to the owner who finished driving, a friend crowds round, it asks severally how it was, and a comment cannot be taken easily. It seems that it is because it only became it tense that was gentle as for everybody.
A paddock becomes active suddenly. Hereafter, they are the comment of the overseas owner who experienced VGS.
This is the first time that such feelings are experienced.
A feeling a little differs from Normal. It bends also at slow speed beyond anticipation. The way which VGS does not put on at the point is liking.
Compared with U.S. specification, a suspension is soft touch.
Feeling which takes place in front rather than all motions expect although it does not know how I may explain
The form of a steering wheel does not care for it.
If it is my car, the place where must be cut further deeply will be able to bend by from 1 action.
Surely it bends beyond anticipation, and although it goes, I think that how depending on which a system is effective is natural.
I want to try in a dry conditions and found out how the movings of s2k was.
An action is nervous. Oversteering will be carried out beyond anticipation.
A driver is helped at a corner exit.
Although I often run a circuit, I want to put VGS on the market also in the United States or Europe.
It feels tight and quick.
LSD system is correctly effective.
A steering response is good and quick. It was pleased considerably.
The way of the feeling of VGS is liking from Normal for me.
The more normal one thinks that it may be exact.
If it cuts just for a moment, it is the feeling which is likely to be performed to the next lane.
It is difficult to analyze by only 2 rounds. I want to drive a number of rounds further.
It is the feeling which has not been experienced until now. I want to bring back to the United States very much.
As mentioned above, since it is having found out with the awkward command of English of an editorial department member, it does not know whether all can be translated correctly. Besides an opinion of the excitement feeling of being interesting, VGS which has not been experienced until now anyhow will tell that the opinion are exact and good also had the more normal one too.
A word from representative [ for S2000 owner ] Etsuro Fushiki of Japan Since it was the 1st time this time, possibly there were many places where the side which the men from overseas also accept is also mutual-boiled at, and does not get used. I wanted time to place S2000 at hand and take communication. I have a feeling that the car could not be S2000 in fact. S2000 cannot but be a medium for tying each other up to the last. It is important Japan not only also exports a car, but that takes communication of such both directions. If the number of times is piled up, I will think that a better thing is made. Future exchange activities are expected.
How is overseas owner's driving technique? It is close and I will ask editorial department Tanaka who observed and who is also active-service F4 driver.
I who was able to give a duty called the driver of a demonstration run of Type VGS and a riding-together run was imagining "since they come from overseas to Japan from afar, they will be those who are not mere car lovers and have a considerable operation lover or a remarkable driving technique level", and freely. However, it will be how. If they are picked up horizontally and it begins to run, it will utter and be pleased with "WAWA, GYAGYA", and voice also only by carrying out a drift just for a moment. If I also get carried away and it runs still more gaily, it will already be pleased with it by "merrymaking." But it is that was uncanny at the time of the experience run whose they themselves grasp a steering. (Luis) operates with the posture which had lengthened the arm to the extent that it said, "The steering could not be operated in the position at a corner." In the slippery road surface conditions, she goes into a
corner with an inside grip-steering in 3rd.
Everybody has already announced all individual driving anyhow.
The useful feeling did not act as me who sit on a passenger seat. Honestly to say(impolite). But when the innocent profile was remembered like their child at that time, it was made to be thought strangely that it was the "pleasure in which he is leaving this and to operate" itself. That fully enjoy them and they love S2000 firmly in the land left distantly was one day which has got across also to me of a passenger seat firmly.

What's"VGS"? it is the abbreviation for a Variable Gear ratio Steering. The world's first system to which a steering gear ratio is changed according to car's speed and steering angles. At a low speed, there is little quantity which cuts a steering, and direction of a car changes with a sufficient response. If bigsteering angles is given, the feeling of operation of the increase of the end in a cornering will improve. On the other hand, at the time of a high-speed run, since the response at the time of minute steering angles is the same as usual, stable operation can be performed. In addition, improvement in the management nature at the time of car warehousing etc. and improvement in an evasion performance were realized.

I liked the pictures too.
-John
Old 08-30-2001, 05:14 AM

Thank you, thank you , thank you. Now I can put the words with my awful pictures.
Old 08-30-2001, 09:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can sum this up with one word: huh?

Actually, I thought it was funny how our remarks were translated into Japanese and then back into English. I couldn't even recognize my own quote out of that!

Thanks for posting that, John. I appreciate it!
Old 08-30-2001, 11:41 AM

I could only make it through some of the "yoda" talk...
Old 08-30-2001, 12:33 PM

I think we are just about due for some "tuning" on the translation from our English-speaking Japanese friends who have the magazine.

-John
Old 08-30-2001, 01:52 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Hmm. At one point the translation talks about a "she" going into a corner, but that's in the same sentence a "lengthened Woody" is mentioned. Hey Sondra, just how much fun did you have on your drive anyway?

I think I can pick out my comments. Heehee.