S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Who else is attracted to the Miata ND and would get one if you lost your S2k?

Old 01-06-2017, 01:28 PM

Received 107 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Who else is attracted to the Miata ND and would get one if you lost your S2k?

Call me crazy, but I am very attracted to the new Miata ND. I would totally get one if I crashed my S2k or if it got stolen.

Why?
- ND is 2300lbs
- ND has better Torque:Weight ratio than our S2k and it's also really down low in the rpm (ie: Instant torque).
- ND can easily be had and bought - good luck finding a good condition S2k quickly that has no accidents or any other funny history. Probably take you 6-12 months.
- S2k is aging . Plastic/rubber parts, plugs and wiring, bearings, lube, bushings, etc., etc. are all either worn, old or dried out.
- Newly bought S2k will require a lot of maintenance and new parts (clutch, tct, sensors, general maintenance, etc.) to bring it back to decent running condition.
- S2k parts are becoming hard to find.
- S2k will have engine and drivetrain wear. Sometimes questionable wear. Possibility of valve-train, engine block or drivetrain/trans/diff problems.
- ND exterior and design is growing on me. I actually think it looks very Very good. Easily the best looking Miata and looks aggressive and less girly.
- ND will be brand spanking new. All suspension and chassis bushings, shafts throughout various car parts, lube, bearings, engine and drivetrain, sensors wiring and plugs..everything will be truly brand-new.

Also, one of the biggest reasons it attracts me: Stock for stock, the ND pulls the same times (actually, slightly better) as an S2k around Laguna Seca (and other tracks). Google it.

Anyone else agree?

Last edited by Jah2000; 01-07-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:36 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Meh
Old 01-06-2017, 01:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I test drove one a few weeks ago, because I was debating getting another s2000 after a two year hiatus or put a deposit down for a ND club.... I just bought a 2002 Berlina a couple days ago. The ND just felt cheap on the inside, and the revs just seemed short lived. They do feel more torquey down low though and I like the ND's soft top design. Don't get me wrong, I like them, but they aren't worth the retail price. Once they hit the sub 20k$ used price then I'll be more interested.

Last edited by mirabileboy; 01-06-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:44 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

A friend has one. It is a nice car I think. Not a serious temptation for me.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No. It's just you.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:31 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I'd give it consideration. They are very nice to drive. That said, they don't match the sheer adrenaline of a S2000 being pushed hard.

For daily usage and normal driving, the Miata is actually more fun.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:58 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

I would get a nice NA air cooled classic Porche before the ND. Cracked rubber be damned. Maybe a 56 Cadillac convertible.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jah2000
- S2k is aging . Plastic/rubber parts, plugs and wiring, bearings, lube, bushings, etc., etc. are all either worn, old or dried out.
- Newly bought S2k will require a lot of maintenance and new parts (clutch, tct, sensors, general maintenance, etc.) to bring it back to decent running condition.
- S2k will have engine and drivetrain wear. Sometimes questionable wear. Possibility of valve-train, engine block or drivetrain/trans/diff problems.
All that stuff will pretty much apply to the ND eventually, so what then? Buy the latest Miata? Is there no value in maintaining what you have?
Old 01-06-2017, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jah2000
Call me crazy, but I am very attracted to the new Miata ND. I would totally get one if I crashed my S2k or if it got stolen.

Why?
- ND is 2300lbs
- ND has better Torque:Weight ratio than our S2k and it's also really down low in the rpm (ie: Instant torque).
- ND can easily be had and bought - good luck finding a good condition S2k quickly that has no accidents or any other funny history. Probably take you 6-12 months.
- ND exterior and design is growing on me. I actually think it looks very Very good. Easily the best looking Miata and looks aggressive and less girly.
- ND will be brand spanking new. All suspension and chassis bushings, shafts throughout various car parts, lube, bearings, engine and drivetrain, sensors wiring and plugs..everything will be truly brand-new.

Anyone else agree?
For these reasons and not these reasons.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they look amazing also. I certainly wouldn't trade in my S for it. But if someone were to give me an ND, I wouldn't be too upset. The shaved weight and decent power are definitely inviting for sure.

Chris B

Quick Reply: Who else is attracted to the Miata ND and would get one if you lost your S2k?