S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Who else is attracted to the Miata ND and would get one if you lost your S2k?

Old 01-06-2017, 06:45 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Its edgy-er looking, but not enough at least in stock form to shake the female owner stigma for me. The S has just enough masculinity to it, wile maintaining a timeless sexy design that still turns heads. This Miata wont age quite as well. Its only fresh today because it was long overdue for a more appealing facelift. Performance wise stock for stock and aftermarket platform to build on for all out performance and strength? Get out of here! Its still a Budget toy car in comparison. Its like comparing a NSX to an S2k. The Miata Motor is absolutely lethargic in comparison, there is nothing performance or racing feeling about it. In this regard, it still hasn't broken the mold of all previous generations. I dont care how much lighter it is to help the wheezy motor out of the hole. The wheel base still is a shorter/small toy car syndrome, which is a compromise for a real confident road course work. especially if you really want to build on the engine platform with FI (because thats the only way you will get any yield out of it to work at triple digit speeds.

Lets face it, its still just a more glorified looking middle aged woman's "fun" car.

Just felt like I should elaborate more on my previous "meh" response, which I think summed up my long version perfectly anyway

Sorry, dont mean to kill anyone's dreams for this car. I just think you can aim a little higher. Especially as a current S owner. Its almost disrespectful to go from an S to a ND. Maybe the S just was never appreciated for what it can offer in the right hands

Last edited by s2000Junky; 01-06-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:59 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

I could make the same argument with my new Civic Coupe Touring vs. my 2002 S2000, but that's what you get when you own a 14 year old classic piece of automotive history. I like the new Miata, but I could never love it. That's the difference for me.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:06 PM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

No interest in owning a Miata.
I'd just spend double and buy a boxster if my S2k took a dive.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:15 PM

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

I haven't driven one, but I like what I've seen about them. I was a huge Miata fanboy in a past life. The ND is really awesome looking, but I think I still like the NA the most. Maybe I'm old fashioned though. .. to answer your question though, I'd get another S. I lost my beloved 2003 S back in 2014 and got a 2002 two years later. I'd rather have an 03, but the 02 is still really good.

I considered all sorts of options before deciding to get another one. Elise, Boxer, Miata, Supra, Corvette, Z4, and probably some other I'm forgetting. I just don't think anything else can really beat the bang for the buck sheer awesomeness that the S2000 provides. Getting back into the Honda was like going back home. It just felt right.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:43 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I test drove one and it felt a bit too small, and I'm only 5'7". I kept smacking my head into the softtop frame when getting into or out of the car. I'd probably get a used NC Miata before an ND for that reason alone.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:18 AM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

No way
Old 01-07-2017, 04:30 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

I keep reading its a better daily driver. More fun to use on a daily basis. I guess that means the fun is more accessible. Like maybe you don't have to drive like you really mean it in order to feel like you're driving with performance.

But that just sounds like when you really do want to push things, the performance reserves just aren't there. Indeed thats what I seem to he hearing from those that talk about its accessible fun.

I could never live with that. I think the AP2 has just enough polished edges to make it a fun daily, yet the more you push rhe better it gets. That is what is important to me.

I also don't think I would fit in it. My head just clears the roof in the S (if I wear a baseball hat the little button at the top bumps the roof bar.) I'll have to go test sit one though just to see.

But I'm very pleased someone is still making these sorts of cars, and that its causing others to up their game as well...
Old 01-07-2017, 06:28 AM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

^^ creature comforts over performance will make a better DD.
It's like comparing a sport bike to a touring bike. Both are motorcycles...
Old 01-07-2017, 06:34 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

I love the front of the car but strongly dislike the back of the car. Those tail lights look goofy to me.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:43 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I always laugh at the folks who would never drive one because they think it's too feminine. If the car is fun I'm not going to care.

I also got a lot more attention from the ladies in my old Miata than I get in my S2000.

Last edited by Nerd-Vol; 01-07-2017 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Who else is attracted to the Miata ND and would get one if you lost your S2k?