S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Air Pump Delete Causing oil consumption?

Old 02-12-2017, 12:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 02-13-2017, 05:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's possible you upset a valve seal during the AP2 retainer install. You may have a small amount of oil leaking through a seal.

That said, your compression is great, and your power levels (if on a Mustang or Dyno Dynamics dyno) are solid. I doubt it's your PCV, though it is possible that the plate on the air pump delete could be seeping a little.

At the end of the day, given that everything really does appear to be fine, it's up to you if you want to crack the motor open to fix. I used to get worried about my AP1 consumption, but really I just consider it a given and don't bother with it. I drive maybe 2000 miles a year now, and agree it would be different if it was still a daily driver.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:57 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by steven975
It's possible you upset a valve seal during the AP2 retainer install. You may have a small amount of oil leaking through a seal.

That said, your compression is great, and your power levels (if on a Mustang or Dyno Dynamics dyno) are solid. I doubt it's your PCV, though it is possible that the plate on the air pump delete could be seeping a little.

At the end of the day, given that everything really does appear to be fine, it's up to you if you want to crack the motor open to fix. I used to get worried about my AP1 consumption, but really I just consider it a given and don't bother with it. I drive maybe 2000 miles a year now, and agree it would be different if it was still a daily driver.

It is my daily and thats part of the reason I'm worried about it. My tuner thinks it could be oil rings gone bad. I have a bare block sitting in my basement waiting to be built. I guess ill just have to speed that process up!
Old 02-13-2017, 11:23 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

What's the mileage on your car? I think that at 150,000 miles one should seriously start considering replacing the valve stem seals. The ones used on the S2000 are the same valve stem seals Honda uses in a bunch of other cars, a lot of times oil burning issues are dramatically reduced with new valve stem seals. If you plan on doing valve retainers, you should definitely think about replacing the seals, especially while you're already in there, you can get the full set for a little over $30.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mullallyman
It is my daily and thats part of the reason I'm worried about it. My tuner thinks it could be oil rings gone bad. I have a bare block sitting in my basement waiting to be built. I guess ill just have to speed that process up!
Maybe, but you're at normal AP1 oil consumption now. If it were me, I would not spend thousands of dollars fixing what amounts to a normal annoyance. Mine has been burning a quart every 1000 miles or so for like 10 year now...