S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Antifreeze Coolant

Old 01-19-2017, 07:52 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Post Antifreeze Coolant

Hello members of the forum, I just have some quick "noob" questions to ask you all. Would greatly appreciate it, if I could get it clarified. When I bought my S2, my coolant reservoir contained blue antifreeze coolant. After countless drives, the fluid is finally depleting to where I would need to refill it again soon. My concern is, can I just use Walmart's Prestone antifreeze coolant? I know that the Prestone's coolant could be different, as to the color of the fluid compared to the one I have in my reservoir now, which is a blue fluid. That being said, will it also be bad for my radiator if I mixed the Prestone antifreeze coolant with the current fluid that is still currently in my system (blue antifreeze fluid)?

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2017, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ebpemone
Hello members of the forum, I just have some quick "noob" questions to ask you all. Would greatly appreciate it, if I could get it clarified. When I bought my S2, my coolant reservoir contained blue antifreeze coolant. After countless drives, the fluid is finally depleting to where I would need to refill it again soon. My concern is, can I just use Walmart's Prestone antifreeze coolant? I know that the Prestone's coolant could be different, as to the color of the fluid compared to the one I have in my reservoir now, which is a blue fluid. That being said, will it also be bad for my radiator if I mixed the Prestone antifreeze coolant with the current fluid that is still currently in my system (blue antifreeze fluid)?

Thanks!
the blue antifreeze is the oem honda coolant. Run to your local honda or acura dealer and buy the coolant there. From what I've read, prestone coolant is bad for aluminum blocks like ours. I wouldn't use anything else.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:13 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you for the clarification. I will go with your advice and drive down to my local Honda dealership and get the coolant.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ebpemone
Thank you for the clarification. I will go with your advice and drive down to my local Honda dealership and get the coolant.
no problem! Hope it works out!
Old 01-19-2017, 04:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Coolant shouldn't deplete...I would suggest looking into that if you aren't already.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:29 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Use oem Honda stuff only. It's the best
Old 01-19-2017, 08:14 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

You don't have to buy it from your local dealer. Might find it cheaper online, even with shipping. Bought mine on Amazon...
Old 01-20-2017, 02:51 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

The overflow bottle working? Coolant loss is not normal. Antifreeze is less efficient than ordinary water and adding distilled water won't hurt rather than risk a damaging antifreeze. Depends on your climate how dilute you can go.

-- Chuck
Old 01-20-2017, 05:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
The overflow bottle working? Coolant loss is not normal. Antifreeze is less efficient than ordinary water and adding distilled water won't hurt rather than risk a damaging antifreeze. Depends on your climate how dilute you can go.

-- Chuck
Plus one here. :-)
Old 01-20-2017, 09:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Some coolant loss over a VERY long time is ok. Having your entire reservoir gone in a short amount of time is not normal unless the previous owner used mostly water.

It's a $10-12 difference between the Honda and Prestone. Nothing wrong with Prestone itself, but I wouldn't mix the two.

Quick Reply: Antifreeze Coolant