S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 S2000 Engine ticking - Stumped!!

Old 02-22-2017, 02:05 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

RTFM!

Name:  IMG_2338_zpspioctzk2.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  248.1 KB

My '06 owners manual states:
Your vehicle is designed to operate
on premium unleaded gasoline with a
pump octane of 91 or higher. Use of
a lower octane gasoline can cause
occasional metallic knocking noises
in the engine and will result in
decreased engine performance. Use
of a gasoline with a pump octane less
than 87
can lead to engine damage.
-- Chuck
Old 02-22-2017, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck S
RTFM!

My '06 owners manual states:

-- Chuck
this is not helpful. My car did not have that sticker on the gas cap. And no, I didn't use less than 87.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:22 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

You're probably good if you didn't drop below 87 octane. You're forgiven for not reading the missing sticker, but not for ignoring the owner's manual.

We has someone here last year who failed to read the manual and put some lightweight oil in his differential and wondered why it died. Information is readily available on fuel and lubricants.

-- Chuck
Old 02-23-2017, 03:58 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

I saw this thread several days ago but was reluctant to comment as I really have no knowledge of the S2000 engine (any engine, for that matter) and because Billman had chimed in with advice - and I'm not going to second guess him. When I heard the video, my immediate reaction was piston slap or rod knock.

The history of "recent engine rebuild" pointed me in those directions. I think both piston slap and rod knock would be caused by improper clearances during a rebuild. I was unable to see the photo posted on the engine rebuild, but unless it was a blueprinted engine, I don't think it would tell you much. I recently had an engine rebuilt (not S2000). I know all of the trick parts that are in it, but have absolutely no idea of the actual clearances utilized by the builder. He is sort of famous / infamous for departing from the factory manual on bearing clearances and who knows what else.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
You're probably good if you didn't drop below 87 octane. You're forgiven for not reading the missing sticker, but not for ignoring the owner's manual.

We has someone here last year who failed to read the manual and put some lightweight oil in his differential and wondered why it died. Information is readily available on fuel and lubricants.

-- Chuck
I actually downloaded a full AP1 manual to my phone from Reddit before I bought the car, stupid me did not read over its 1k+ pages before driving it home, I just saw the H on the back and assumed 87
Originally Posted by blueosprey90
I saw this thread several days ago but was reluctant to comment as I really have no knowledge of the S2000 engine (any engine, for that matter) and because Billman had chimed in with advice - and I'm not going to second guess him. When I heard the video, my immediate reaction was piston slap or rod knock.

The history of "recent engine rebuild" pointed me in those directions. I think both piston slap and rod knock would be caused by improper clearances during a rebuild. I was unable to see the photo posted on the engine rebuild, but unless it was a blueprinted engine, I don't think it would tell you much. I recently had an engine rebuilt (not S2000). I know all of the trick parts that are in it, but have absolutely no idea of the actual clearances utilized by the builder. He is sort of famous / infamous for departing from the factory manual on bearing clearances and who knows what else.
Yes, the 3 shops I took it to were all worried about that fact as well and so am I. I rented out a borescope last night and ill hopefully have pictures of the cylinders within a day or so. One of the shops said it was deep, bottom end noise, the two other shops and honda dealer thought it was top end noise around the pistons, so everything is on the table right now. The compressions are solid across the board which checks one thing off the list but the borescope will tell a lot more.

I still think the valves may need adjusted. None of the shops messed with them but like everyone on here warned me the s2k engine has tricky valves that it seems no one wants to mess with. If borescope comes back good I am going to adjust the valves myself and go from there.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:05 AM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

why not adjust the valves first? i think that's the easiest thing to do diagnostics wise at this point.

highly recommend you use the Honda valve adjustment tool if you're doing it yourself.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:20 AM

To update everyone on where I am at, I have been trying to find a good borescope to check the cylinder walls, I got one but I couldn't see the walls very well. Pistons have a decent amount of carbon buildup but nothing crazy.. Since the shop claimed they pinpointed it to cylinder 4, I decided to do my own work on it and ran the engine with all the coil packs unbolted and pulled individual coils to try and verify it is a specific cylinder. I was unable to do so, the noise made absolutely _no_ distinguishable difference when I pulled any of the coils. I tried each one at least twice. I feel relatively confident in saying it is not a specific cylinder causing the noise, leading me back to thinking it is valve train related. I am going to take another video and rev the motor and try to show the sound better to get some more opinions.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:04 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

wait...but you still haven't performed a valve adjustment?

the opinions after another video will still be to perform a valve adjustment.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by jyeung528
wait...but you still haven't performed a valve adjustment?

the opinions after another video will still be to perform a valve adjustment.
every shop I take it to claims it is "too much" for them to handle and pushes me on to the next guy I just dropped it off this morning at another shop who I've had done work for me in the past and I pretty much told them to diagnose it and adjust the valves.. hopefully they will actually do it.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:23 AM

Here is the second video anyways, I understand the next step is to adjust the valves I have just had more than a few shops tell me to scrap the engine and I am really looking for any other advice on things to check for a noise like this.

Quick Reply: AP1 S2000 Engine ticking - Stumped!!