S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Can anyone identify this fuse box wiring?

Old 08-10-2015, 04:16 PM

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Can anyone identify this fuse box wiring?

I picked up my 04 two weeks ago & immediately noticed a cut wire hanging right by the hood release. I'm just getting around to exploring the area & I honestly have no idea what I'm looking at. Can anyone who's familiar with S2K wiring help to identify the spliced stuff in the photos below?

There appears to be a spliced ground wire coming out of the brown plug, the ground is spliced into a white/red wire. There also appears to be some sort of harness or group of wires (wrapped in gray tape...duct tape maybe?) going up into the dash to the left of the steering wheel. The ground wire spliced from the white/red coming out of the brown plug is cut & just dangling.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Can anyone identify this fuse box wiring?-c0dxenx.jpg

Can anyone identify this fuse box wiring?-zwl6ius.jpg
Old 08-11-2015, 07:35 AM

Nothing? Can someone at least confirm what the white/red wire coming from the brown plug is?

Upon closer inspection I'm not convinced the ground wire & spliced wire were connected, the wire coming out of the white/red is black with red stripe & the cut ground is just black.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like someone wired in power & ground for some aftermarket thingamabob. Just remove them. They clearly don't look OEM, right? The black ground wire seems to just be clamped under the factory ground. Obviously Honda wouldn't make a car that way.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Habitforming
It looks like someone wired in power & ground for some aftermarket thingamabob. Just remove them. They clearly don't look OEM, right? The black ground wire seems to just be clamped under the factory ground. Obviously Honda wouldn't make a car that way.
Removing those two small wires isn't an issue really. I agree I should just pull it out & button it back up. I am a little more concerned about the bit spliced into the group of wires with the white & green labels on them (second pic over ground). Looks like they are wrapped in duct tape. I'll do some more investigating later today.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by amsfoto
Originally Posted by Habitforming' timestamp='1439308074' post='23711166
Removing those two small wires isn't an issue really. I agree I should just pull it out & button it back up. I am a little more concerned about the bit spliced into the group of wires with the white & green labels on them (second pic over ground). Looks like they are wrapped in duct tape. I'll do some more investigating later today.
Oh I completely overlooked those. No way to know without cutting back the duct tape (sign of a shoddy install if there ever was one) to see how they're tied in, then chasing the wires to see where they terminate on the other end.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Habitforming
Oh I completely overlooked those. No way to know without cutting back the duct tape (sign of a shoddy install if there ever was one) to see how they're tied in, then chasing the wires to see where they terminate on the other end.
Thanks for the input...this car is turning out to be more & more of a pain. It's obvious the previous owners didn't care & simple stuff like this raises a big red flag for more serious mechanical stuff. Who knows where else shortcuts were taken.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by amsfoto
Originally Posted by Habitforming' timestamp='1439310820' post='23711229
Thanks for the input...this car is turning out to be more & more of a pain. It's obvious the previous owners didn't care & simple stuff like this raises a big red flag for more serious mechanical stuff. Who knows where else shortcuts were taken.
Yep, that's always the risk with a used car - even more so with a "tuner" car. Just take your time and go through it all - fluid changes, valve adjustment, compression & leak down test, alignment, and so on. You'll know a lot more about what you have once you get through all of that stuff. Hopefully you can do it all yourself (except the alignment of course), and you'll really get to know the car in the process.