S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Can I use the same jack points when using either scissor or floor jacks ?

Old 02-09-2017, 04:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Can I use the same jack points when using either scissor or floor jacks ?

This is strictly for changing out wheels (e.g. changing to snow tires in the winter, etc) and not for any other major work under the car. I know the four jacking points that I would use with the included scissor jack. Can I use the same four jacking points if I were to use a floor jack when I change out my tires? Using the scissor jack gets pretty old and takes forever to lift and lower the car to change tires, so would like to use a floor jack instead.

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2017, 04:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yes
Old 02-09-2017, 04:35 PM

Question

Originally Posted by cruc1a7
yes
Thanks for the quick reply.

The included scissor jack has a "groove" on the mounting area where the thin sills under the fender are supposed to go into when lifting the car.

Since the mounting area of a floor jack is flat, do I A) still lift the car up under those thin sills, or do I B) place the flat mounting area of the floor jack completely outer that area and lift on the flat fenders?

I'm thinking A, since I don't know if B has sufficient reinforcement to support lifting the car's weight. Though if I do A, would those thin sills make a dent in the floor jack mounting plate?

And lastly, since I'll be just doing quick wheel swaps, I take it jack stands aren't necessary.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:53 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
And lastly, since I'll be just doing quick wheel swaps, I take it jack stands aren't necessary.
provided you don't go under the car, no worries. watch all the autocross folks do it all day long.

The mounting point is confusing at the FRONT. The mounting point/lift point is bounded by 2 small bends/"bumps" in the lower rail- they're about 4 inches apart and located about 8 inches behind the rear edge of the wheel well edge. You put the lift pad between those two points- not in front, not behind- BETWEEN. those smart Honda engineers purposely put those there to lift the car- check your owner manual to be absolutely sure you won't destroy your panels.
The REAR mounting point is far easier to find and not confusing at all- again, between those two lower rail bumps- lift there.

DO NOT LIFT ON THE FLAT PART OF THE BODY PANEL- EVER. bad, bad, bad idea. unless you want to bend your panels.

I understand your anxiety, but be brave. I actually use a heavy leather glove on top of my jack pad to prevent metal to metal contact.

darcy

Last edited by darcyw; 02-10-2017 at 05:26 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:59 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

The emergency jack that comes with the car is just that. Get a small floor jack for routine work in your garage or driveway. There are jacking points on the engine and differential that make this very easy -- avoid the side points. Need a looooow floor jack to get to those (or drive onto a 1" board).

Snow tires on a S2000?! Say it ain't so, Joe!

-- Chuck
Old 02-10-2017, 05:29 AM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
The emergency jack that comes with the car is just that. Get a small floor jack for routine work in your garage or driveway. There are jacking points on the engine and differential that make this very easy -- avoid the side points. Need a looooow floor jack to get to those (or drive onto a 1" board).
great advice- the rear diff is an excellent lift point for the rear wheels. You'll need an ultra long and low floor jack for the front lift point which is great for the front 2 wheels.

darcy
Old 02-10-2017, 06:54 AM

Thanks all for the helpful replies.

I know that there are "midway" points on the front and rear which can be used to lift the car - I saw Billman250 do this back in the day when he didn't have a dedicated lift machine. But for simplicity's sake, I can jack up with the floor jack, on the exact same four spots I would with the scissor jack, correct?

As far as which one to buy, found one on Harbor Freight's website - the 1.5 ton compact aluminum racing floor jack with rapid pump. Though they seem to list this same product four times, each with different item numbers. They do this on items throughout their website, no idea why they do this...

1.5 Ton Compact Aluminum Racing Floor Jack with Rapid Pump®

Can you guys see a difference between the four? If they are really the same item, what do you think of this floor jack?

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Neuro1 (02-11-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do it all the time and haven't had an issue yet. Just in case, keep your eye on it the first few times you do it to make sure nothing is getting bent.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:54 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
But for simplicity's sake, I can jack up with the floor jack, on the exact same four spots I would with the scissor jack, correct?
Yes.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:56 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

2 cents worth of advice.

Don't be careless. Protect yourself and your car. Use a jack stand.

The floor jack depends on cheap seals that can blow out. If necessary, cut off the floor jack's side handle so you can use it and a floor jack together on a side lift.

Quick Reply: Can I use the same jack points when using either scissor or floor jacks ?