S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Defroster relay/fuse? (pics) Please help!

Old 11-18-2008, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defroster relay/fuse? (pics) Please help!

Okay, I got a hardtop, the wiring harness, the console defroster switch, and plugged everything in (including the hardtop into the port behind the driver's seat). Got a defroster relay, put it in the fuse box by the clutch pedal in the spot indicated in the pic below.

Nada. Zip. No light comes on when I press the defrost button in the console, and fog doesn't disappear from my window.

Is there a fuse I need to put somewhere in addition to the relay? Or is it just the relay?

Is that even the right place to put the relay? I dug this diagram up from another thread, which indicates that the slot I used isn't supposed to be used for anything. But maybe it's from an early MY00 (which IIRC didn't have a hardtop option)?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:42 PM

I think I found it. The auxiliary under-hood fuse box, Page 392 (22-37):

http://issuu.com/onderhoud/docs/honda_s200...ervice_manual02

Also, page 388 indicates that the spot in the pic IS the correct location for the defroster relay.

I'll check tomorrow and post results here (for reference for anyone with a similar problem).
Old 11-19-2008, 12:08 AM

off - topic but im curious. When you upgrade to a hardtop you have to wire-in things? what all needs to be wired for the hardtop? sorry i just thought it was a bolt-on applicaation. thanks
Old 11-19-2008, 01:10 PM

Well, I checked the fuse box...and it's there. And looks fine. Dammit...now I have to check the whole system to figure out what's going on.

Revv, the hardtop is bolt on, but if you want to get the defroster to work, you need to plug it into the car. The MY00 and 01 need a defroster harness, a defroster switch (goes in the center console) and a defrost relay. The later years that came with a soft top with glass window and defroster should be plug & play. This is an oversimplification (there may be certain models that don't fit this exactly...need an extra wire, or different harness) but that covers most of the cases.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:41 AM

curious why you need a relay...i replaced my '00 top with plastic with a robbins top with glass/defrost...i just bought a harness and switch, and plugged it in. she works fine...
Old 09-16-2010, 04:19 AM

yes, i'm interested to know why your Robbins top didn't need any extra wiring....
Old 09-16-2010, 04:32 AM

looks like your Robbins needed the wiring and relay switch:

http://www.topsonline.com/index.php?Depart...rmodelID=746000

i guess LegacySHO just had some other problem
Old 01-26-2011, 02:51 AM

i know this is old but did u ever figure it out?.. it 2 piked up a hardtop n i own a 00-01 s2000...... i plugged up the defroster sub-wire harness. the wire that plugs into the car's main wire harness and the hardtop. then i put in the relay and the switch. but i still get nothing. the switch will light up amber when i'm on my daytime or night lights (1-2 clicks forward with left handle). but it looks like its also suppose to turn green/ amber when the button is pressed down....... the button is pressed, but it just stay's amber. it looks like there's a little slit where another color should light up but nothing happens when i press it.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:36 PM

i was looking at that fuse box and just realized thats my fuse box haha. i have legacySHO's car now and trying to figure out this wiring too
Old 06-27-2011, 02:21 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

check fuse #19 under the dash. 7.5 amp, and fuse # 23, 10 amp.

Also check fuse #34, 20 amp square type in the small underhood fuse block by the master cylinder.

Quick Reply: Defroster relay/fuse? (pics) Please help!