S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Driver Door Randomly Locking

Old 01-26-2017, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Door Randomly Locking

Hello,

I am unsure what do to about this problem,

When I have any movement on my driver door, the door locks. I need to put the key in and keep it fully turned to open the door. If I hit unlock and then pull the handle the door locks. When I shut the door, the door locks. Locked myself in my car a few times because of this. When I get out I need to roll down the window so I can reach in while the cars running. Thoughts on how to fix this?

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:32 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Weird, this happened to me a couple random times over the 13 years of ownership, one time locked me out wile the car running and I had no way to get in. Few other times the top was down and just randomly locked after I shut the door. No idea why, but hasn't been a chronic issue or id be trying to figure it out too.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:36 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Take the battery out of your remote in your key ring and see if the behavior stops. Easiest thing to eliminate/confirm is the problem.

-- Chuck
Old 01-27-2017, 12:54 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has been doing the same thing lately. I'll try removing the remote battery and see if it stops.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:31 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

If it stops the problem is isolated. Next to investigate is the internal locking module (or what ever) that will automatically lock the car 30 seconds after pressing Unlock on the remote if no door is opened.

Mine gets locked in my garage without my knowledge but I suspect I'm butt-pressing the remote in my pocket.

-- Chuck
Old 01-27-2017, 04:36 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine locks even when I have the door open in the garage?
Old 01-27-2017, 12:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
If it stops the problem is isolated. Next to investigate is the internal locking module (or what ever) that will automatically lock the car 30 seconds after pressing Unlock on the remote if no door is opened.

Mine gets locked in my garage without my knowledge but I suspect I'm butt-pressing the remote in my pocket.

-- Chuck
Mine does exactly the same thing. 2001 AP1. It locks itself while in the garage after I get out and go in the house.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:38 PM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

Originally Posted by Bronsky
Mine does exactly the same thing. 2001 AP1. It locks itself while in the garage after I get out and go in the house.
I find my S2000 locked in my garage all the time and I never lock the car on purpose, my keys are in the house all the time never touched between drives that are usually on weekends only for a garage queen type of use. I honestly believe a neighbour has the same frequency as my s2000 and it locks based on that. I'd say this happens a couple times per month minimum. It never happens anywhere else, just when stored in my garage.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about a month into my 2003 Ap 1 and I have been noticing the full gamut of random locking events mentioned above. Reading Dr. Feelgoods recommendation is causing me to wonder if I just need to replace the batteries in the remotes? I bought a two pack, for just in case, but haven't put them in yet because the remote still seems to work without a hitch. Now I'm just going to do it to see if this weirdness stops.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:37 AM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

The idea to remove the battery from the remote is not that a weak battery is somehow transmitting a lock signal with no button press. Rather its to verify that no one is accidentally hitting the button (lock or unloack) as keys are laying around. Maybe a button is actually being pressed, but being inside the house and out of earshot of the car locking, the person doesn't realize it.

Removing the batteries makes sure this can't happen. So if removing the remotes batteries resolves the issue, then the issue is with humans, not with the car.

Quick Reply: Driver Door Randomly Locking