S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Driver's window issue

Old 01-30-2017, 04:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's window issue

I have an issue that used to be intermittent, now happens every time. When lowering the roof, the design is that both driver side and passenger windows also lower. However, my driver's side window moves about an inch and then stops moving. The other window and the roof continue down as designed.

Now, I can raise and lower the driver's side window with the window switch and it works like a charm. Anyone else have this issue and have some suggestions on places to start? I had the center console out yesterday and checked the electrical connection to the switch - all of the wires appear to be in order there.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:20 PM

Found a TSB that I didn't find in the site archive -- #01-008. Looks like the driver's side window regulator has a faulty ground. Just in case anyone else has this issue and has to go through this search, the answer is to replace the regulator assembly at a cost of around $260. The search function on the site didn't surface this one - maybe I just wasn't trying hard enough.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:48 AM

Received 280 Likes on 140 Posts

It might be simpler than that: since the window works with the switch, the auto-down circuit might just need to be reset. The soft top uses the auto-down circuit for the driver's window, i.e. it only sends about a half-second pulse to the window switch. (For the passenger side of course, it has to maintain the pulse to the window switch since there's no auto-down.)

To reset the driver's window auto-down:
Close the window.
Turn off the car.
Turn the key to ON.
Lower the window and keep holding the switch down for 10 seconds after the window's all the way down.
Raise the window and keep holding the switch up for 10 seconds after the window's all the way up.
Turn the key to OFF.

Now check:
Turn the key to ON and check that the auto-down works (i.e. press the switch for a half-second and release; window should go all the way down.)
If it doesn't work, try the reset again, but this time do the lower-hold-raise-hold procedure twice in a row, and hold for 15 seconds each time just to be sure. Check auto-down function again.
If it worked, raise the window. Now you can lower the top and check that the window goes all the way down.
The following 5 users liked this post by twohoos:
**mugen** (03-29-2020), Chris Armstrong (05-09-2020), Classic JDM (02-12-2017), CMK (02-08-2017), Vortexhunter (12-02-2022)
Old 02-07-2017, 10:53 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by spcullen11
Found a TSB that I didn't find in the site archive -- #01-008. Looks like the driver's side window regulator has a faulty ground. Just in case anyone else has this issue and has to go through this search, the answer is to replace the regulator assembly at a cost of around $260. The search function on the site didn't surface this one - maybe I just wasn't trying hard enough.
My 02's regulator had to be replaced under warranty when it was about 5 months old. Has been fine since then.
Levi
Old 02-07-2017, 11:41 AM

It really sounds like an auto-down issue. I've owned my car 17+ years and had these exact symptoms several times; the reset has always worked. Plus it literally takes one minute, so it's a no-brainer to at least try it.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:41 AM

I'll give that a shot, twohoos. If that works, then I may have a regulator assembly for sale...
Old 02-09-2017, 04:23 AM

Score one for the reset procedure. Thanks for the tip -- going to try and redirect the shipping on my window regulator assembly today!

You saved me quite a bit of time and effort. Thanks for responding! May I ask how you found out about this procedure (I had to repeat it twice for it to work, also a good tip)? I never ran across this anywhere else on the web, and I'm shocked that the Honda TSB that I found doesn't list this as a starting point before ripping the door apart.

Well done, good sir.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:22 AM

LOL, first time it happened to me I thought I was in for a new regulator too. But I eventually found the reset on the site here somewhere. (It was probably a Billman post - that guy knows everything about this car! )
Old 02-12-2017, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Thanks for posting! I've had this issue since I bought my car, and thought it would be something that I would have to replace to get it to operate properly. I can't believe the issue was so easily resolved. This is what car forums are all about.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:57 AM

FYI -- mine was back to doing the same thing again over the weekend. I'll try it again and see if it works for a longer period of time this time around. I'm still hopeful.

Quick Reply: Driver's window issue