S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine noise...... AGAIN!

Old 12-08-2016, 03:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine noise...... AGAIN!

Hi,

I had my TCT changed last week, all went well and the engine sounded fine, I've done around 100 since and now there is a noise again, not as bad as last time but I can still hear it, the oil levels are fine and I only drive 5 mins to and from work so hasn't been revved excessively, as you can see from the video it stops when I turn the A/C on and isn't noisy when driving.

I have to say I'm getting really pee'd off with the car now, I paid £8k for it as it only had 65k miles and FSH, I went for an S200 as my S14 was costing me a fortune and Honda's were suppose to be reliable and have bullet proof engines

Old 12-08-2016, 07:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like noisy valves but not that bad. Get a valve adjustment seeing it has 65k it would be a peace of mind maintenance. Better them noisy then to tight making no sound. Also driving it back and forth 5 minutes as a commute doesn't really let he car warm up. You should find some backroads on the way to work.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Who changed the TCT and are you sure it was done? Was it a refurb or new OEM piece? If so, that's not really fixing the problem. You need an aftermarket piece like Billman's. I can't listen to the video now, just wanted to share some insight.

These really are very reliable, bulletproof engines. Do a valve adjustment as recommended by S_DosMil. I did both the adjustment and TCT at 30k miles.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:59 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I wonder if you're chasing a similar rattle to which I am in my K24 Acura TSX w/auto trans and 185K miles on the clock. In my case the noise is only present at idle when in gear and when the A/C compressor kicks ON vs yours is OFF. Makes no noise when driving or in park for that matter. I swapped these parts in this order: Accessory Pulley & Belt, A/C Compressor, and then TCT. After all of that the noise persists... about ready to trade the thing when I stumbled upon a thread on acurazine. I won't link to it in case that is against rules but google "TSX engine rattle during idle" to find it.

I ordered a new timing chain kit assuming mine had stretched After reading the article I bought a new "balance shaft tensioner" or also described as "oil pump chain tensioner" and cancelled the timing chain order. I can't confirm if this solved my problem yet, the shop is dropping the oil pan tomorrow to take a look at it. Normally I'd do this type of work but have run out of patience and after seeing cost of a car payment decided to take a risk, originally the shop suggested it was a crank bearing failure. I can report back if you're interested, will get results tomorrow.

Here's my video of noise (Need decent speakers or headphones to hear):

Old 12-08-2016, 11:26 PM

Cheers for the replies guys,

Yeah I thought it might be due to lack of distance driving, the TCT was def changed as I can see it's been replaced, it was a brand new OEM Honda part.

My oil is right upto the max mark on the dip stick so I'm wondering if it might be something to do with that as daft as it sounds, also last week I put normal unleaded fuel in the car (as it was a few days before payday and had limited funds) so last night I put some 97 octane petrol in it, sorry for the negative comment yesterday I just felt so annoyed as I used all my money to buy the car and it made me broke so now to have problems it's got me really down, especially around Christmas after having to shell out for meals, presents, etc

I'll keep you guys posted after taking it out for a good few days driving over the weekend, thanks again

Paul

Last edited by PaulConUK; 12-09-2016 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:10 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Reliable? Very.
100% reliable? No.
Maintenance free? No.

Compared to other roadster options it is hard to knock the reliability of the s2k. That is one of its strengths.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:22 AM
Fat

From my end it doesn't sound too bad. It doesn't have the card in bike spokes noise like some TCTs sound like.
My car sounds similar to yours, probably just noisy valves. I can especially hear mine when against a wall or barrier but I don't think its anything to worry about.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:39 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

a valve adjustment is your friend, the engine sounds fine otherwise.