S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine Seized. Please Help

Old 01-10-2017, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Seized. Please Help

A few weeks ago, I had an oil change, and the shop put in the wrong oil (not full synthetic). The engine died later, and it was towed to a shop. Shop says the engine automatically shut itself off after detecting the wrong oil. So they switched out the oil, and the car was running again.

Now 3 weeks later, I'm driving from Austin to Houston, and I notice that the car has some issues starting. It seemed like a battery issue. The engine would turn weakly. I shut off the lights, and the car starts fine. I stop for dinner, and once again, I shut off the lights to get the car started. About 3 minutes later, I'm changing gears and the car stalls. I think I may have switched gears poorly. I try to restart, but this time, there's just not enough juice. The engine turns a bit, but not strong enough.

A tow truck comes out and tries to jump start the car. No start and weak turn. The next morning, another tow truck comes and tries to jump start. Once again, the engine turns, but it doesn't seem like there's enough juice. Then they suggest push starting it. They get my car rolling with the clutch down in 2nd gear, then after some speed, completely release the clutch. It did not sound pretty, and we tried twice. After that, I ask them to tow me to AutoZone to replace the battery. The battery is replaced, but this time, the engine doesn't turn at all. It just makes a click sound.

The local mechanic tried to turn the engine, and he says it doesn't budge. Then he took out the spark plugs and tried again. No budge. Mechanic says the engine is locked, and he doesn't know what's wrong with it. He says oil looks fresh. He charged $200 for labor so far.

I need to tow the car back to either Austin or San Antonio.

Question 1: Does anybody know a good s2k mechanic in Austin or San Antonio? I pray that I don't need an engine swap.
Question 2: What could be wrong? Again, praying.
Question 3: I have comprehensive insurace, but I don't know if this would be covered. I'm insured by Nationwide. Does anyone have similar experience with them?
Old 01-10-2017, 05:29 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow, don't ever take it to the mechanic that said "it shut itself off after detecting the wrong oil". Synthetic is fine and the engine has no way to know if it has oil let alone the wrong oil

if the engine is locked it could be a main bearing. There are other possibilities though, but that is the worst. It also could be a seized starter which wouldn't be too bad

i doubt insurance will cover a thing unless it is from some sort of vehicle accident

Last edited by bgoetz; 01-10-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 3,358 Likes on 2,441 Posts

The oil change wouldn't cause an issue unless they made a major mistake, hard to tell without all of the facts on that. I think you have a bad thrust bearing, when they fail they usually result in engine replacement.

One of the best S2000 mechanics moved to McKinley Texas - Jordan Kwolik, but I've lost touch with him since he moved and haven't seen him post here.

Last edited by zeroptzero; 01-11-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:23 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If it's a 2007-2008 then it's most likely the bearings/rods. Have seen it happen to couple of 07-08 s2k's.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:03 AM

Received 1,423 Likes on 954 Posts

Dreaded thrust bearing issues?

Old 01-11-2017, 12:56 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Check the starter first though
Old 01-11-2017, 01:22 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by PadThaiNoodl
A few weeks ago, I had an oil change, and the shop put in the wrong oil (not full synthetic). The engine died later, and it was towed to a shop. Shop says the engine automatically shut itself off after detecting the wrong oil. So they switched out the oil, and the car was running again.
This sounds pretty weird. It doesn't make much sense. I wonder what the real reason is that the engine "died." Did it run out of oil? That might explain later troubles.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:41 AM

Received 1,423 Likes on 954 Posts

PadThaiNoodl, does this sound familiar?

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...ilure-1031359/
Old 01-11-2017, 06:32 AM

Received 1,221 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by PadThaiNoodl
How long after you left the shop did the car die?

Read carefully here...Very carefully.

There is NOTHING that can detect what type of oil is in the car. What the shop told you is a complete lie, a fabrication.
Sounds to me like they forgot to put oil in it, and fed you this lie to cover there blunder. Surprised they didn't come up with something that actually COULD cause the car to die. Typical slimeball repair shop.

Last edited by Billman250; 01-11-2017 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:04 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Nope ...Lol wrong oil. Sorry not a laughing matter, just can't believe shops can get away with excuses like this. I would go full dog head tilt they told me some shit like that. But to cover my stress I don't let to many people even touch my car, let alone a oil change.
sorry to hear this.

Quick Reply: Engine Seized. Please Help