S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

EPS & Tach/RPM Not Working...

Old 07-29-2007, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up EPS & Tach/RPM Not Working...

Hello Everybody,

I just removed my AEM EMS + Modifry ETC on my AP1 the other day. While doing so something must have happened and now my EPS and RPM Reading is not working right. The EPS will actually come back on after the car is on for a couple of minutes, but the light does not turn off. The Tach does not work at all right now...I checked all the plugs and grounds for all the things that could be wrong but nothing is working. I've reset the oem ecu and even tried the AEM unit again to make sure my OEM ecu isn't fried, and still nothing...There are also no CEL's at the moment. I've drove for over 30+ minutes like this and no CEL. The car drives fine, so it's not in limp mode.

Anyone else have this kind of problem?

I've read some other people's problems and they all seem to be yellow box related. I do not or ever had a yellow box installed so it can't be that. Also the speedometer works fine and gas gauge works fine...

Thanks in advance,
Daniel
Old 07-29-2007, 05:43 PM

Kind of funny my eps comes on and the speedo doesnt work but everything else does. Mine is from the yellow box though
Old 07-29-2007, 10:05 PM

Hmm...Anyone else?
Old 08-11-2007, 06:37 PM

Still have this problem...no one ever experienced this?
Old 08-11-2007, 07:07 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

You need to check the speed sensor wires to the ECU and to the Dash cluster. I would think you pulled the wire from the connector when you removed your EMS. One wire is all that it takes to generate these issues.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:31 PM

I'll re-check those...the speed sensor is working though because of my speedometer functioning correctly right?
Old 08-12-2007, 01:16 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

That sensor's wire splits just outside the firewall. One legs goes to the speedo and the other leg goes to the ECU. Since tyhe last thing you did before this issue surfaced was swap the EMS for the OEM ECU, I would bet you pulled it from the ECU connector.

So to anwser your question, No. The speedo can work and the EPS can not.

Also the Crank sensor is where the RPM is generated, it is in the same connector as the speed sensor.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:16 PM

Thanks, I'll look into that. The weird thing is I don't understand why the eps works after a minute or so while driving. I could let the car idle for 10 minutes and the eps won't work unless I actually drive. Kind of weird...I hate electronics!
Old 01-11-2008, 10:40 AM

Well I checked all the wires going to the ecu and everything is nice and snug. Can anyone else come up with anything before I take it in to the dealership? TIA
Old 10-19-2015, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Raines48
Well I checked all the wires going to the ecu and everything is nice and snug. Can anyone else come up with anything before I take it in to the dealership? TIA
thread back from the dead but, i have the same issue; no tachometer, runs fine. Eps light on but, works after driving for a couple seconds. did you find out the issue?

Quick Reply: EPS & Tach/RPM Not Working...