S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Flashing CEL cause found?

Old 02-17-2017, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing CEL cause found?

Few days after running full bottle of chevron Techron, my tank was almost on Empty and my CEL started flashing while idling at a red light. Pulled over at a gas station, filled her up and the flashing cel stopped. Solid link to bad injectors?
Old 02-18-2017, 04:35 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

This is a emissions warning, nothing more. If it goes away it's fine. Calling this a "check engine light" is disingenuous -- but we all do! -- 'cuz it's not a general engine warning light. It's nothing more than an emissions malfunction indicator light (MIL). Guys with "test pipes" by-pass the system or ignore it.''

I've no idea what's in chevron Techron. Nor why using it would cause this. Our fuel tanks are fairly small and a full bottle may by too much?

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 02-18-2017 at 04:37 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
This is a emissions warning, nothing more. If it goes away it's fine. Calling this a "check engine light" is disingenuous -- but we all do! -- 'cuz it's not a general engine warning light. It's nothing more than an emissions malfunction indicator light (MIL). Guys with "test pipes" by-pass the system or ignore it.''

I've no idea what's in chevron Techron. Nor why using it would cause this. Our fuel tanks are fairly small and a full bottle may by too much?

-- Chuck
Thanks for the reply, it would go from a flashing CEL back to solid CEL (my car has the light on for a misfire on all cylinders code) The flashing worried me as I haven't seen it happen before.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:31 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Flashing CEL is most likely due to misfire and what Chuck says is pretty exaggerated.
It's not just an emission light, although most of the error codes obviously affects the emissions.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:41 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Couldn't he get an OBD-II reader and read the stored error codes?

EDIT: Sorry, didn't notice this was a continuation of another thread.

Last edited by windhund116; 02-18-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
Flashing CEL is most likely due to misfire and what Chuck says is pretty exaggerated.
It's not just an emission light, although most of the error codes obviously affects the emissions.
Thanks for the reply, it only happens when the car is idling for a while. I'm gonna take it in the shop next week to get a valve adjustment, will be driving it minimally till then. Hopefully it's nothing serious
Old 02-19-2017, 06:26 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I just had the same problem. Last time it was bad spark plug seals after it read a misfire in 2 cylinders. Oil was seeping though the seals flooding the cool. I changed spark plug seals, valve cover gasket and new spark plugs and all was fine for 2 years and now today it came back. Can it be the same thing or now possibly my coil is bad ?
Old 02-20-2017, 02:50 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

New plugs are relatively cheap and come with new seals. The torque spec has been upped since our cars were new. There's a pen and ink change in my shop manual courtesy, no doubt from Billman, that notes the correct torque is now 24 lb-ft (old spec was 18).

New plugs are factory gaped and come with anti seize on the threads -- don't add more.

-- Chuck
Old 02-20-2017, 04:58 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

The old Honda torque spec was 13 lb-ft and the new one is 18 lb-ft.
Billman has been recommending to torque them even more though and his number may well be 24 lb-ft.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:05 AM

I already installed new NGK plugs, new coils and the issue is still there. I REALLY want to do a valve adjustment by myself. I want to learn everything about my motor and how everything works in detail, nothing better than the peace of mind knowing YOU did the work on your car. I've done all the maintenance on my car since I got it and want to continue that.

Quick Reply: Flashing CEL cause found?