S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Fuel filter location

Old 01-13-2012, 05:07 AM

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,443 Posts

Originally Posted by grkboy707
Would you guys recommend not changing it, even at 121k miles? I have all the other maintainence complete, except the valve clearence check/adjustment and fuel filter, which I do believe the manual says to do. I dont mind doing a lot of work.
This is one of those topics that is getting beat to death. If you suspect you have low fuel pressure issues then investigate replacing the fuel filter, that is the only reason I would do it. If you want to change it for peace of mind and you don't mind dropping the money on it then do it. If you are in the fuel tank replacing your fuel pump maybe you might want to do it then.

There's no right or wrong answer, but there is nothing wrong with not replacing it if the vehicle is running fine. I personally would not change it just based on mileage, there would have to be other circumstances that would cause me to swap it out.

For anyone that wants to find the part you can see it in the on-line catalogue of majestichonda.com , as part of the fuel tank menu. Iirc it isn't a cheap part.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:11 AM

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,443 Posts

Originally Posted by grkboy707
Would you guys recommend not changing it, even at 121k miles? I have all the other maintainence complete, except the valve clearence check/adjustment and fuel filter, which I do believe the manual says to do. I dont mind doing a lot of work.
This is one of those topics that is getting beat to death. I'll try to lay it out again. If you suspect you have low fuel pressure issues then investigate replacing the fuel filter along with other potential parts. If you want to change it for peace of mind and you don't mind dropping the money on it then do it, nothing gained and nothing lost. If you are in the fuel tank replacing your fuel pump maybe you might want to do it then. If you live in a part of the world where Honda recommends changing it at a certain mileage then consider doing it, just make sure you are following the right maintenance schedule.

There is nothing wrong with not replacing it if the vehicle is running fine. I personally would not change it just based on mileage, there would have to be other circumstances that would cause me to swap it out.

For anyone that wants to find the part you can see it in the on-line catalogue of majestichonda.com , as part of the fuel tank menu. Iirc it isn't a cheap part.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:39 PM

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Sorry to revive this thread after several years of being inactive but I need to know: assuming that fuel filtration is causing lower than acceptable fuel pressure, what would be the cause - the filter sock or the plastic casing itself? What would need to be changed then? The Honda dealer I ordered a fuel filter from got me the plastic casing assembly itself and not the sock so I didn't take it yet but said I would need to confirm first. Symptom making me think I need to do this: slight intermittent stumbling at idle, randomly occurs. I can't be certain if the filter was ever changed in the car's 18 year history as well.

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:40 AM

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

I picked up a new filter a couple of months ago to have on hand. The car is 18 plus years old, sees only a couple thousand of kms a year and is stored 4 to 6 six months a year. Has less than 45K km. It may not be essential to replace it, but I'll do it eventually. The oil and filter gets changed every year with synthetic oil, and I expect this would be considered overkill by some also.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by The King
I picked up a new filter a couple of months ago to have on hand. The car is 18 plus years old, sees only a couple thousand of kms a year and is stored 4 to 6 six months a year. Has less than 45K km. It may not be essential to replace it, but I'll do it eventually. The oil and filter gets changed every year with synthetic oil, and I expect this would be considered overkill by some also.
That's cool. What did you get in the package? Was it the black plastic housing where the fuel pump sits inside or did it include the white filter sock as well?
Old 03-01-2018, 04:43 AM

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
That's cool. What did you get in the package? Was it the black plastic housing where the fuel pump sits inside or did it include the white filter sock as well?
I got the sock-17516-S2A-930 and the rubber gasket/seal 17574-S84-A01.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by The King
I got the sock-17516-S2A-930 and the rubber gasket/seal 17574-S84-A01.
Thanks. Two Honda mechanics told me the sock is not supposed to be changed, only the whole strainer set. Now I'm unsure what to buy...
Old 03-01-2018, 08:02 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

I think that's correct according to Honda, the sock is relatively inexpensive though so if you are going to replace one might as well do both.
Logic tells me the sock is the first thing that's going to get clogged, but I guess it could be much coarser than the plastic housing filter.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by flanders
I think that's correct according to Honda, the sock is relatively inexpensive though so if you are going to replace one might as well do both.
Logic tells me the sock is the first thing that's going to get clogged, but I guess it could be much coarser than the plastic housing filter.
Fair enough. Might as well get a new sock as well because that seems like the only filtration item we can see but then again they say the plastic housing is the actual filter so...I told the dealer to hold onto the plastic pump housing/filter set while I confirm this. Gonna get a valve adjustment first then see about changing the filter if need be. 207000kms MY00 and still feels new I just wanna stay on top of preventive maintenance
Old 03-01-2018, 10:20 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

The plastic housing is the main filter yes, when you replaced it you should break the old one open and take some pictures

Quick Reply: Fuel filter location