S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

HELP AP1 Transmission Noise!!

Old 11-20-2016, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP AP1 Transmission Noise!!

Hello S2KI, I recently traded '13 FR-S to '02 S2000, wow, what an amazing car! however the car is 14 years old, I'm experiencing some noise coming from the transmission.
After I start my car (Clutch in and press the red hot button) noise appear when I let go the clutch
noise is less significant when gearbox warm up! and probably not that noticeable when its in gear accelerate or decelerate.
Thought it was clutch/throw out bearing, had clutch replaced but noise is still there, can anyone determine what part is failing?

Any input helps, thank you!

Here is the youtube video link:
Old 11-20-2016, 02:05 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

I had my volume up max and did not notice anything that stood out to me in particular?

This is a very noisy, loud, rough car, and not as refined as a BMW Z4 or even a Miata in many ways (yet alone a new BRZ/FR-S). AP1s were also more prone to clutch buzz than AP2s.

Are there any physical symptoms? You had your clutch replaced just because of the noise?
Old 11-20-2016, 02:10 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

X2
Levi
Old 11-20-2016, 04:05 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I definitely heard the noise you are referring to with some headphones on and listening to the video. It sounds similar to the noise my miata made but it had a lightened flywheel and aftermarket clutch.

My 2006 is does not make that type of noise when releasing the clutch, I'm presuming you put new MTF in? If it's internal to the trans I'd just make sure to have fresh fluid in and then drive it.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by HarryD
I had my volume up max and did not notice anything that stood out to me in particular?

This is a very noisy, loud, rough car, and not as refined as a BMW Z4 or even a Miata in many ways (yet alone a new BRZ/FR-S). AP1s were also more prone to clutch buzz than AP2s.

Are there any physical symptoms? You had your clutch replaced just because of the noise?
Noise starts at 0.08 of the video, and yes, I thought it was throwout bearing, so I had clutch replaced hoping to solve the issue and end up costed me $1,200, i shoulda confirm its a bad clutch before hand ..
Old 11-21-2016, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by lookstoomuch
I definitely heard the noise you are referring to with some headphones on and listening to the video. It sounds similar to the noise my miata made but it had a lightened flywheel and aftermarket clutch.

My 2006 is does not make that type of noise when releasing the clutch, I'm presuming you put new MTF in? If it's internal to the trans I'd just make sure to have fresh fluid in and then drive it.
I did not get MTF changed while I get my clutch replaced, but I got new diff fluid, I will replace the MTF and see if it helps with the noise....
Old 11-21-2016, 05:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 8.86.200
Hello S2KI, I recently traded '13 FR-S to '02 S2000, wow, what an amazing car! however the car is 14 years old, I'm experiencing some noise coming from the transmission.
After I start my car (Clutch in and press the red hot button) noise appear when I let go the clutch
noise is less significant when gearbox warm up! and probably not that noticeable when its in gear accelerate or decelerate.
Thought it was clutch/throw out bearing, had clutch replaced but noise is still there, can anyone determine what part is failing?
First, welcome. to the forum!!

I also recently got out of an FRS and into an AP1

I notice the whine you're talking about...

There have been other reports of secondary shaft bearings causing transmission noise, but the secondary shaft isn't moving when the car is stationary, which it looks like it is in the video... If the car is stationary, only the mainshaft will be turning. There's only 2 bearings that support that shaft. 1 front and 1 rear. Angular ball bearings. The oil pump, countershaft, and secondary shaft (Tailshaft) will be stationary. The gears will all be stationary except first and second. ...But every gear rides the shaft on a needle bearing, and those bearings will all be spinning. 3-6 because the gears are stationary and the shaft is turning, and 1-2 because the gears are turning on a stationary shaft.

That said, gearboxes whine. Especially old ones. In order to disassemble the transmission enough to find the problem, you'll wind up paying for a rebuild. If that's not worth it to you, I'd just drive it. It could be any one of 8 bearings. Or it could be whine from first or second meshing...

Last edited by Spartarus; 11-21-2016 at 05:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
8.86.200 (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 05:11 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

For sure, it is not throw-out bearing. Maybe, check metal residue in tranny oil.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Spartarus
First, welcome. to the forum!!

I also recently got out of an FRS and into an AP1

I notice the whine you're talking about...

There have been other reports of secondary shaft bearings causing transmission noise, but the secondary shaft isn't moving when the car is stationary, which it looks like it is in the video... If the car is stationary, only the mainshaft will be turning. There's only 2 bearings that support that shaft. 1 front and 1 rear. Angular ball bearings. The oil pump, countershaft, and secondary shaft (Tailshaft) will be stationary. The gears will all be stationary except first and second. ...But every gear rides the shaft on a needle bearing, and those bearings will all be spinning. 3-6 because the gears are stationary and the shaft is turning, and 1-2 because the gears are turning on a stationary shaft.

That said, gearboxes whine. Especially old ones. In order to disassemble the transmission enough to find the problem, you'll wind up paying for a rebuild. If that's not worth it to you, I'd just drive it. It could be any one of 8 bearings. Or it could be whine from first or second meshing...
we have the WINNER here!!!! sooooo.... I decide to jack the car up and replace the transmission fluid, but the noise is still there, then I kept the car running and put my ear really close to the gearbox, and voila the noise is coming from the rear angular ball bearing, while the drive shaft is stationary!

Any idea on how much it would cost to get it replace? I know the part cost about $25-$45

I feel really dumb for throwing $1200 for clutch that i did not need :{
Old 11-21-2016, 08:27 PM

red circle is the part that makes noise .... is that input or output shaft bearing?

Quick Reply: HELP AP1 Transmission Noise!!