S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Hesitation and loss of power?

Old 10-16-2008, 08:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up Hesitation and loss of power?

Hey anyone know what could be causing this?

whenever you gas it in any gear theres a huge hesitation and seems like no power and even more less torque from 4-6k rpms.

Its like a small kangarooing effect, i had my mechanic friend drive it and he didnt notice anything, but its probably because he doesnt ever drive it and doesnt know how it normally feels, the power band feels choppy and its deffinitly down on power, Vtec feels the same but the car feels slower

Im getting my oil changed today as im a few hundred miles over, Also i recently switched over from using Quicktrip premium to this albertsons store premium gas (just different brands) and we think its a long shot.. but possibly the ECU is just trying to cope with different gas? Or maybe the knockoff stuff as i call it, since its about 15 cents cheaper than anywhere else i see, is just crappier gas?

I have read up on something about the MAP sensor getting clogged up and just tapping it to clear it off? anyone shed some light on this theory?

Other noticables, this is the 3rd or 4th day that its been significantly colder, so ECU could be adjusting to that as well?

anything i need to try to fix / worry about? or maybe just change the oil, go back to regular gas and reset ecu and let it relearn everything to be the fix?

theres also NO CEL which we thought was odd with it acting up like it is
Old 10-18-2008, 08:09 AM

bump
Old 10-18-2008, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how cold is it? Im leaning towards it just being in your head (likely nervous about cheap fuel) considering your mechanic said it was fine. Im no expert though. hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be able to shed some light good luck
Old 10-19-2008, 07:35 PM

about 60ish, i changed the oil, put shell premium (93) in it, and it felt fine, thought it was fixed and went on way, this was at about 4-5pm got back in the car at around 830-9 and the problem is back, this time while cruising, keeping steady speed the RPMs are wanting to drop quickly, almost like im tapping the clutch pedal and immediately letting it back out, and getting that kangaroo, jumpy effect, whole time im just lightly gassing it

the WOT problem is still back though, mostly happening from 3-3.3k rpm, feel a BIG dip in the powerband (head goes forward slightly) you know what im talking about

anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-20-2008, 06:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wiggle the map sensor connector and do a map whack.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:31 AM

May want to check the map sensor. Look in the DIY's and look for "MAP WHACK". I was having a similar problem with my car hesitating every once in a while and this fixed the problem. It may not be your problem, but it only takes 5 minutes and is worth a try. Remember to reset the ECU when your done with this. Just my .02 cents.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:35 AM

How many miles on the car? This might be a long shot since there seems to some inconsistency in the symptoms, but it could be the clutch slipping. Can you verify that you know what that would feel like, and that the symptoms don't feel that way?

Old 10-20-2008, 06:45 AM

S2krazy, this was actually my 'longshot' idea as well.. i searched for slipping clutch symptoms and im not having any shaking or rattling or anything, but maybe my problem is pre-symptoms of those symptoms?

My friend with a WRX had to replace his clutch and he said he felt the same stuff at the beginning, then it got real bad and he couldnt drive the car till he got it replaced, so im a little worried about the clutch, gonna check the easy stuff first though

But thanks guys, later today ill give it a map whack and see what that does
Old 10-20-2008, 12:31 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

i wacked my map sensor and my car stopped doing it.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's this for a resurrected thread? I haven't posted in a while, but my AP1 is exhibiting these exact same symptoms. Helix, did the MAP whack solve your issue?

Below VTEC, the car feels fine except when at WOT. If I back off the accelerator just a little, I get the power back.
Above VTEC, the car does what I tell it to.

This part might be in my head, but it seems like the VTEC engagement isn't as crisp when I have these symptoms. It almost feels like the VTEC solenoid is activating due to WOT, but way before the RPM crossover point. I have a dyno session next week, and I'll use that to grab a plot of what I'm seeing if this isn't sorted by then.

Quick Reply: Hesitation and loss of power?