S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How to get oil out of your spark plug cylinder DIY

Old 11-30-2010, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get oil out of your spark plug cylinder DIY

First off let me start by saying after buying 3 bad valve covers and taking it off and putting my old one back on i some how got a lot of oil in my cylinders. I was bogging out all the time and when i took my valve cover off this time to check the gap on my spark plugs i saw that the cylinders were flooded with oil.... So i started to panic and didn't know where to start to get the oil out of the cylinders. With the help of my friend that's a honda technician he guided me through the steps. If you had a bad gasket or something and want to replace it and get all the oil out. this is perfect for you

If theres a better way of doing this please let me know and i'll add it to this write up.

Time 45 mins - 1.5 hours

First off you want to take your valve cover off here's a DIY by Saki GT DIY spark plug link

If you follow his guide you'll get far enough to get the spark plugs out of your engine.

now you want to look into the cylinders (if i'm calling this the wrong this please correct me)

okay so you've got this far

the next step is to go under your steering column and take out your fuel pump fuse. It should be the 15a fuse on the left. You want to do this so that there will be no fuel going to the engine while you crank it.

i believe its the third or forth on up from the bottom on the left side. check your fuse panel to be sure.

Crank your engine for a few seconds and you'll get most of the oil out

This is how mine looked like after i took the spark plugs out and let it drain for about 5 minutes after cranking it for a couple of seconds.

Cylinder 1

Cylinder 2

cylinder 3

cylinder 4

next step is you want to take a long extension or screwdriver and tape some paper towels to the end of it. Make sure you tape it enough so it wont fall into your engine.

this is what mine looked like.. I know its kind of ghetto but it does the trick. Stick it in the cylinders and try to get as much of the oil out as possible.

After you get most of the oil out then put it all back together and make put your fuel pump fuse back in. Drive your car around and you'll burn up most of the oil and you shouldn't have any more oil in your cylinders. worked for me. just drove around for 100 miles and still no oil in my cylinders.

hope this helps someone else out.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:59 PM

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,443 Posts

looks pretty good, nice work. Hope you put new gaskets for the spark plug tubes on the valvecover, cheap insurance to prevent that from re-occurring.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well what happened in my case was i bought 3 bad valve covers and when i swapped the gaskets for the spark plug tubes over to the new ones i guess i didn't seat them right. So it started to leak. The new valve cover i just bought from another member already had them in it so i didn't bother to mess with it. Hope this write up helps other people out that want to get oil out of their cylinders haha