S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Howling sound from the rear. Need some help finding the issue.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:57 AM

Received 1,243 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by afzan
I was going to suggest trying different wheels/tires but he said the noise goes away in neutral

could still be tyre related. I have a TSX with snow tyres that I use for winter. They're MUCH more noisy in gear whilst accelerating than they are in neutral.

Not saying he has snow tyres (or maybe he does?). But if a different tyre/wheel set is available to swap on...then its an easy test.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
What kind of tyres do you have? Any cupping?
Tires are Sumitomo HTRZ III. They seem to be wearing fine. I dont know why I think its something else more than wheel bearings but imma give it a shot. Ordering new NSK bearings and oem hubs.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
could still be tyre related. I have a TSX with snow tyres that I use for winter. They're MUCH more noisy in gear whilst accelerating than they are in neutral.

Not saying he has snow tyres (or maybe he does?). But if a different tyre/wheel set is available to swap on...then its an easy test.
They arent snow tires, im in Miami no need lol. Imma try finding a set I can borrow to see if I notice anything different.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KCHRIS305
Thanks for the fast reply Billman,

I just tried this, jacked up the car by the diff and tried spinning each wheel by hand as fast as I can . I dont seem to hear roaring, i hear slight hissing (like if the brakes are slightly rubbing the rotor). I did notice something else though. When I rock the wheel back and forth there is a slight bang in the change of direction. When I look at the axle i see there is some play. it moves slightly on its own before it get the driveshaft to spin with him. Not sure if this is normal.

I think I would hear this more if I was able to spin the wheel in gear. Because when Im driving the car I hear the noise mostly when im in gear cruising. When i take it out of gear and let it roll in neutral the howling nearly goes away. If I go slower than 40 mph, or accelerating past it the noise also seem to go away, but in my opinion in every situation the rear end does seem a little louder than its supposed to be.
When I spun my idler bearings by hand, all I heard was hissing, but running under load they sounded like a coffee grinder full of sand...

Also, the load on the wheel bearing changes drastically from neutral to in-gear. In neutral, the wheel doesn't have to transmit the force necessary to spin the engine through a joint that isn't straight.

Last edited by Spartarus; 12-13-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:02 PM

Quick question, figured I would ask here than start a whole new thread. Do I have to replace the entire rear knuckle when replacing the wheel bearings? or is it just replace hubs an bearings?
Old 02-14-2017, 05:13 AM

Received 403 Likes on 338 Posts

Just hubs and bearings, the knuckle gets replaced only if you bend any of the control arm mounting points(you'd have to thump the suspension pretty hard to do that).
Old 02-27-2017, 10:35 AM

Hey guys, back to update this thread. So over the weekend i was finally able to make time to work on the S. I put brand new rotors, calipers, and pads, because i noticed my front calipers sticking so i figured what the hell il change them all and update the brake system. I also replaced my rear wheel bearings and hubs with brand new oem hubs and wheel bearings.

Disappointed to say, but the howling noise in the rear is still there. Im starting to think maybe a issue with the diff or axles. What you guys think? What next steps should i take ?

Thanks so much guys
Old 02-27-2017, 12:43 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

how about posting a video of the noise?
Old 03-04-2017, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by jyeung528
how about posting a video of the noise?
I tried getting a video of this sound, but its very hard to hear on the video.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:10 PM

little update*

Ive been using the car daily for the past few days. The sound is definitely still there. I hear the sound only in gear and mostly when accelerating, seems to be more noticeable around the 40mph + mark. If i put the car and neutral and let it roll , its silent. Not sure if its just me, but i also think the sound gets louder after a long trip. Im leaning towards a damaged Diff, but not sure. Hopefully the Diff expert Puddymod can chime in on this. Been looking at used Diffs , but scared to purchase a damaged one. Anyone know how to inspect a used Diff?

Quick Reply: Howling sound from the rear. Need some help finding the issue.