S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I need help !!! Sherlock holmes style !!!!

Old 01-08-2017, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I need help !!! Sherlock holmes style !!!!

here is my story;

recently got a healthy, well maintained, 2004 AP2. Engine is rock solid, pulls like a breast, my second S2K.

Recently got out of work, starter on the first jump ( Push Start ) , got to the gym, killed my routing =) and as i walked out and got into my car, getting ready to leave i turn on the ignition, transponder gives me a go, check engine light goes off, i push the clutch in and press the Start Button and nothing happens, no click click ( your battery died ) no funny smells, nothing happens, car is numb...... i push it back in neutral and ask some Gramps to give me a small push , i jumped in the car clutched 1st gear and bam car lit up, running on all 4's like if it was just shocked into live, sounds as good as always, no check engine light , 83k miles, oil level was recently checked, half a tank of gas, temp is lower than half ( Normal ).i go home and as i go i still cant realize what could have happened, im going 45 MPH i decide to shut down the engine and put it in neutral, and try to PUSH START the car as in cruide in neutral, my engine is dead, i turn the ignition ON again, push the clutch ( CAR IS IN NEUTRAL ) and press the PUSH START and NOTHING HAPPENS.... im frustrated, clutched it into 6th and started up ( AS I KNEW IT WOULD ). Next day i decide its the starter and change it for a TESTED ( AUTO PARTS ) Starter, huge struggle, swapped it just fine, put everything back, ITS GOTTA GO THIS TIME RIGHT ? i try to give it a go, pray for 5 seconds before hitting that START BUTTON and when i did NOTHING HAPPENED AGAIN !!!....... next day i take it to a SO SO OK Mech i trust, he is FAM... he uses a light signal to detect continuity and voltage, and he tests every single fuse and everything checks, flips around a few relays and everything oK, i slide under the steering wheel and unclip with a huge struggle both switch pedal plugs and bypass them ( IV HAD MANY STICK SHIFT CARS AND NEVER HAD I EVER RAN INTO THIS ISSUE THAT THE CLUCK SWITCH DIED ) , i think its gonna go this time, i mean what else could it be, i try it and NOTHING, i changed the starter button, NOTHING...... i found this post, from someone here,

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...issue-1031340/

THIS POST HAS THE SAME EXACT SYMPTOMS MY CAR HAS, DOWN TO 100 %%%, THIS IS ME A FEW YEARS BACK I SWEAR. I NEED HELP FIGURING THIS OUT ( I RULES OUT ( FOR SURE FOR SURE ) STARTER, PUSH START BUTTON, CHECK ENGINE CODES, BATTERY, BOTH PEDAL CLUTCH SWITCHES. What else could it be ???? i will reward 100 $ to the winning answer. I am an IT Tech guy, im not a mechanic but i have a passion for cars and know when something is wrong and when something is not in my daily driver, and i know that by the symptoms its not any of those 5 things mentioned. THANKS IN ADVANCED !!!
Old 01-08-2017, 05:59 PM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

I still wonder about the clutch switches. You say you checked them and electrically they may be okay but there is a part that often fails in the depressed position making the clutch switches falsely actuate closed or open. I was unaware of that and just this week got into a discussion with my Honda parts guy; apparently fairly common.

You also might want to refresh your battery and ground connections.
The following users liked this post:
eromeroS2K (01-13-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 06:26 PM

I unplugged them both the one on bottom and on top and tapped them with a cable, im extremely certain thats not the case, car has 83k miles, and i treat her like a princess
Old 01-08-2017, 09:43 PM

Go for the low hanging fruit then. Check and tighten up your battery connections and the grounds to the frame itself. Connections can be intermittent and degrade over time.
eromeroS2K (01-13-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 12:29 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Go for the low hanging fruit then. Check and tighten up your battery connections and the grounds to the frame itself. Connections can be intermittent and degrade over time.
Also, double check for corrosion and tightness of lines going to starter and solenoid. Good luck!
eromeroS2K (01-13-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 03:21 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Bypassing the clutch switch is easy. Have you tried it?
eromeroS2K (01-13-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 05:09 AM

i did, i used a small wire to jump the switch, its 2 wires, simple stuff
Old 01-09-2017, 05:13 AM

i have an update, not sure if this is true , please help me debug this, is this possible ? i have a guy saying on a facebook S2K Post i made that it could be this part of the switch.

he says, that when you open up the switch one of the contacts its not triggering the start button or closing the circuit as it should, is this possible ? i wanna know if its true before i decide to change the starting key switch
Old 01-09-2017, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller

wires look solid man, i dont think its a wire problem, i think SOMETHING is not letting communication between the push button and the starter
Old 01-09-2017, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by eromeroS2K
i have an update, not sure if this is true , please help me debug this, is this possible ? i have a guy saying on a facebook S2K Post i made that it could be this part of the switch.
he says, that when you open up the switch one of the contacts its not triggering the start button or closing the circuit as it should, is this possible ? i wanna know if its true before i decide to change the starting key switch
It is common, according to my Honda guy (includes cars other than the S2000 of course)

Have not heard too many problems with the starting key switch.
eromeroS2K (01-13-2017)

Quick Reply: I need help !!! Sherlock holmes style !!!!