S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

5 New England winters takes a toll

Old 11-25-2005, 05:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default 5 New England winters takes a toll

Well, it seems that driving year round in New England has finally taken a toll on the car. On Wednesday, I had the car in for a 4 wheel alignment, after hitting a major pot hole a few weeks earlier. The right front and right rear were both out of spec. Unfortunately, the mechanic could only adjust the front. Both left and right rear adjustments were completely frozen and couldn't be adjusted. They were afraid of breaking the cam bolt and putting the car down completely. So, I have a full set of cam bolts and plates on order to arrive next week and we'll try again. He thinks they'll have to cut the old bolts out.

I'm surprised that even running 5+ winters that this would have happened so soon. I had an alignment done maybe 2 years ago and they didn't have a problem.

So, a warning if you use your can year round. Check this stuff. The cam bolts and other parts are pretty inexpensive (around $40.00 total) but it's just a pain to bring the car in again.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:50 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

IMO, this is not a bad price to pay for being able to enjoy the car all year round.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is something that always happens on the rears of Hondas. It is what it is and I would gladly deal with this then major problems from buying another brand of car. Something that I have found that helps is to put anti seize goop on the new stuff before you put it back together.

Your mechanic is going to have a hell of a time getting those old bolts out. It once took me bout 4 hours to do exactly what they are about too.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:17 PM

I agree it's a small price (well, maybe, depending upon how long it takes to chop out the old parts) to run year round. I was just surprised by it. I've not owned recent Hondas other than the S2000 but had a Prelude for many years in the 80s. Don't recall the same problem despite running it year round.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:47 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Move to S.Cal.,or Florida;or do like I do:

Old 11-26-2005, 04:33 AM

I'm stuck in New England until I retire which should be in about 5 years. I'll take my chances with the elements in the Winter. There's too much enjoyment in driving the car to put it up on blocks. After all, it's just a car.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:17 AM

Well, here I am replying to my own post again with a followup.

The rear suspension cam bolts came in and the car went back to the alignment shop Monday to replace the bolts and align. Got a call that they cannot get the bolts out as they are frozen solid in the bushings. 48 hours of soaking with PBblaster penetrant and a four foot breaker bar resulted in the tech only getting a bloody nose when the socket broke. They apparently almost pulled the car off the lift.

So, the end result is a suggestion that the only recourse may be to sawzall them out and replace the upper and lower control arms. Looks like the total is now around $500 per side. So we left the alignment alone. I get the definite impression that the shop hopes I go somewhere else.

I'll do this myself in the spring. Anyone have suggestions on the best place to go for OEM parts - hopefully at a big discount?

I'd like to personally thank Honda for not using $.06 worth of anti-seize on a $32K car. Steel bolts in aluminum bushings with no anti-seize + New England winter = priceless.

Sure wished search worked so I could look for other control arm topics.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:13 AM

basic search works accessible from the link all the way at the bottom of the page.

Home
Old 12-07-2005, 07:41 AM

New England winter, yes I'd remembered. I'd lived there for 19yrs, now I ride in the streets of Minnesota. As for me, I'll never drive my S or a rwd vehicle in the snow but some aren't so lucky. Hope things work out for you. BTW, heard Providence is all ghetto now...
Old 12-07-2005, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by DaveA,Dec 7 2005, 08:17 AM
Well, here I am replying to my own post again with a followup.

The rear suspension cam bolts came in and the car went back to the alignment shop Monday to replace the bolts and align. Got a call that they cannot get the bolts out as they are frozen solid in the bushings. 48 hours of soaking with PBblaster penetrant and a four foot breaker bar resulted in the tech only getting a bloody nose when the socket broke. They apparently almost pulled the car off the lift.

So, the end result is a suggestion that the only recourse may be to sawzall them out and replace the upper and lower control arms. Looks like the total is now around $500 per side. So we left the alignment alone. I get the definite impression that the shop hopes I go somewhere else.

I'll do this myself in the spring. Anyone have suggestions on the best place to go for OEM parts - hopefully at a big discount?

I'd like to personally thank Honda for not using $.06 worth of anti-seize on a $32K car. Steel bolts in aluminum bushings with no anti-seize + New England winter = priceless.

Sure wished search worked so I could look for other control arm topics.
Not much you can do beside cut them or heat them out. BTW the car that took me forever on the back suspension was from New Hampshire.

Quick Reply: 5 New England winters takes a toll