S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

knocking and clunking noise coming from left rear?

Old 03-25-2013, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im having perhaps the same problem? ive also been looking everywhere and again also tried to tighten the rear axle nuts. Mine makes the noise 99% of the time, as i pull off i hear the almost clicking noise? but is doesnt matter what gear.etc, i also hear it on liftoff and when i reengage the power. during drive there is no noise at all, in neutral no noise, in gear under power no noise.... does yours do this too? I was thinking of opening a new thread asking for advice coz its driving me mad!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:07 AM

One of the other guys on here said his rear control arm bushing was worn making a noise, try checking that. sorry if I'm not helping much.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bossman302
Awesome thanks, its hell when people don't post how they fixed the issue. I've researched a ton of stuff and most all haven't replied with how it was fixed:/
I hear on ya on that bud! Its a waste of space and time even being created if they arent going to share the answer!

Originally Posted by S2000&1
im having perhaps the same problem? ive also been looking everywhere and again also tried to tighten the rear axle nuts. Mine makes the noise 99% of the time, as i pull off i hear the almost clicking noise? but is doesnt matter what gear.etc, i also hear it on liftoff and when i reengage the power. during drive there is no noise at all, in neutral no noise, in gear under power no noise.... does yours do this too? I was thinking of opening a new thread asking for advice coz its driving me mad!
Same for me it makes that knocking or clunking noise whenever the shock seems to rebound from the uneven pavement. Whether its coasting neutral, in gear under load, or not under any load it doesnt matter it makes the noise! i wouldnt describe it as a clicking noise tho. Im going to be working on my car tonight at the shop doing all my differential and tranny fluid service. I will overlook the suspension once more tonight and if i can not find something my damn alignment guy better find something tomorrow when he does it! LOL

Originally Posted by madenot
One of the other guys on here said his rear control arm bushing was worn making a noise, try checking that. sorry if I'm not helping much.
I have a feeling it may be that damn bushing! Cuz the shock looked perfectly fine with no leaks, and it also makes a clunking noise when stabbing the throttle lightly. Aye brother any information helps.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:29 PM

I had a similar problem as yours after installing some aftermarket rear shocks. The sleeve in the bushings of the shock had chewed through the rubber and the clunking sound was the metal sleeve slamming up and down on the rod they connect to on the frame.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Murphg05
I had a similar problem as yours after installing some aftermarket rear shocks. The sleeve in the bushings of the shock had chewed through the rubber and the clunking sound was the metal sleeve slamming up and down on the rod they connect to on the frame.

Yep i think its that left rear shock making the noise, cuz the mechanic checked out the bushings and etc.. by trying to wiggle with a pry bar and nothing moved. So im sure that knocking is a bad shock, and the clunking is a bad diff mount? We could not pin point that exactly today. But when i install the new bushings and blox differential mount kit we will know then.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:56 PM

please keep us updated! i have the same problem but with T1R coilovers. only my rear right side is making this noise and i have been trying to solve these for months
Old 05-07-2013, 08:30 AM

I know this post is a couple of months old but if you double checked everything and also had a mechianic pry on the bushings in the rear to ensure that nothing was torn or loose....

I have a couple of questions for you

Are you able to push the car down (open the trunk stand there and make the rear bounce) and hear the noise?

Is it only during a load? (load meaning when you apply the gas pedal)

Is the diff mount torn? If it isn't then more than likely thats not the problem.

My recommendation is for you to swap out the rear shocks to see if the noise switches over to the passenger side. If it does then you've figured out the problem. See if there is any oil on the shocks as well. Thats just another way to inspect the part and know that it's damaged.

I have a huge feeling that the problem might be the sway bar end link. It wasn't mentioned anywhere on this posting. Our oem end links are made of a plastic material and metal. I dont think this is common but those things take a beating. They are under stress when you drive, they also move with your shock travel and supports the resistance of body lean.

If you can't visually see the bushing worn, ummmm to test that out, take the wheel off, get something large and stable to put under the LCA (thick wood or something similar), make sure the car is leveled then jack the car up a couple of inches and down onto the board to see if you see any play there. Typical the noise should be present too. If there is another way to do this, somebody please feel free to add.

Dont just swap out parts, that can potentially become pretty costly. If that mechanic didn't figure it out, it doesn't mean the next guy wont. I hope this helps and good luck.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Community Organizer

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

i've had the same problem, replace the shock and that'll take care of it
Old 05-07-2013, 06:12 PM

I had a similar problem, it was a rear caliper bolt that goes into the hub. It had come loose so the caliper was moving around slightly.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:45 PM

just bought the car and now I encounter the same issue. so what did you fix s2k0utlaw? I know this is old post, someone can help. I did re-torque it to 250ft lbs of torque

Quick Reply: knocking and clunking noise coming from left rear?