S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Difficulty with jack stands

Old 04-09-2014, 02:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Difficulty with jack stands

I know the safe zones for resting an S2000 on jack stands, but are there other sections along the sides I can use to jack the car up?

Reason: I have a J's front bumper, and a rear diffuser. This makes it almost impossible to fit even a low profile jack under the front or back. I have TWO low profile jacks that I can use on each side at once, but then I'm unsure of how to replace said jacks with jack stands.

I apologize if this is a newbie question.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull the front end up onto 2x4's, and you may be able to get it high enough to get a jack under it depending on how low your car is.

I had to do this to even get a jack under the side. Still had to pull it up on 2x4's to get a low profile jack far enough under the car to hit the central jacking points.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to do it in 3 steps for the front end: Drive up onto 2x4 that gives me enough room to use my small pump jack. I slip that under the control arm mount near the tire and jack it up about 6". Then use my floor jack under the K-member and jack it all the way.
Rears are 2 step - up onto 2x4 and the use the floor jack on the diff.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by DrakeValle
Pull the front end up onto 2x4's, and you may be able to get it high enough to get a jack under it depending on how low your car is.

I had to do this to even get a jack under the side. Still had to pull it up on 2x4's to get a low profile jack far enough under the car to hit the central jacking points.
I have to do this already to get the jack under the sides in the front lol. I may end up making a ramp out of 1/2" plywood (stacked in stairs).
Old 04-09-2014, 03:10 PM

there are 2 center jacking points that are safe to get it up in the air. one is the flat part of the rear diff and the other is in the front (forgot where without looking, but it should be fairly obvious.)
take one of your jacks and jack the side up enough to get to the front center point with the other jack. i don't have a rear diffuser, so my low profile jack barely fits under the rear diff once i have the front supported on stands. so as far as how you're going to get the rear up....not really sure, haha.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:15 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

you can jack the car up anywhere along the pinch weld of the side. just jack it up next to the tab where you normally put the jack and stick the jack stand on the normal spot once its up in the air.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I jack from the sides on the pinch welds. Once up in the air, I put my jack stands underneath the frame rails.

Mike
Old 04-09-2014, 08:50 PM

All great tips.

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-10-2014, 04:13 AM

Low profile jack one of the front jack points, jack stand under other jack point (I use my scissor jack to lift it high enough for my floor jack as it is faster and can lift higher/safer). Then go to the other side of the front, jack it up on one jack point then put jack stand under the other. I then put the floor jack under the diff and lift the rear and put both other stands on the jack points, you on the other hand have a diffuser so this probably wont be possible. I would try jack up both sides enough to get the floor jack under the diff, jack it up off the other jacks and swap in jack stands.

Who would think with a convertible sports car you would have to jack so much
Old 04-10-2014, 05:21 AM

low profile jack and a wooden board about 12inches wide and 2inches thick and make a slot 1inch deep in the middle of the board, and jou can jack the car in the middle on the sides and do 2 wheels at once

Quick Reply: Difficulty with jack stands