S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

new starter won't start ?

Old 03-17-2017, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new starter won't start ?

I've changed my old starter with a new one because my old one was broken. Now i did put all cables and others back together and trying to start: it's turning over but too weak.. my engine won't start. It's like a grinding noise.
What did I wrong or what can I do ? It's like a new starter, he should work correctly. I don't know what I can do more to make it work correctly.

any advice is welcome!
Old 03-17-2017, 01:14 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

What the status of the battery? Ground wires clean and tight to clean surfaces?
Old 03-18-2017, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
What the status of the battery? Ground wires clean and tight to clean surfaces?
battery recharged and before that he was starting perfect. Ground wires a little dirty, negative cable to surface. I clean this with water?
Old 03-18-2017, 03:05 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

I'd use some light sandpaper. Take apart first and thoroughly clean contact surfaces. Tighten snug.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:55 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

"Charged" battery may still be the cause. Any of the auto parts stores can put a load test on the battery and see if it's OK. My car refused to start one evening last summer. Push started her and put it on a good charger all night. Battery showed full voltage in the morning. Push started her again (!) in the morning and had the battery tested. Failed under load. New battery solved all.

-- Chuck
Old 03-18-2017, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
"Charged" battery may still be the cause. Any of the auto parts stores can put a load test on the battery and see if it's OK. My car refused to start one evening last summer. Push started her and put it on a good charger all night. Battery showed full voltage in the morning. Push started her again (!) in the morning and had the battery tested. Failed under load. New battery solved all.

-- Chuck
so if i am right my car will do start with startingcables connected to another car (with good running battery)? If it does start i know it's the battery?
​​​​​​​
Old 03-18-2017, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by windhund116
I'd use some light sandpaper. Take apart first and thoroughly clean contact surfaces. Tighten snug.
cleaned all up today and used sandpaper.
​​​​​​​tomorrow testing again and if he doesn't start i'll try with startingcables to another car (to check if it's the Battery )
Old 03-19-2017, 05:20 AM

Jump starting the car shows that there's no problem between the battery and the starter; that is the starter and associated wiring is OK. If you can't jump start the car the problem is downstream of the battery.

No need to buy one but if you think the auto parts might say the battery is dead just to sell you a new battery a battery tester is $20 at Harbor Freight. A resistance and meter thingie. Loads the battery with a high resistance and measures the voltage under load. Battery may show a perfect 12.7v voltage at rest but drop below 9v under load and that voltage may not be enough to start the car.

I recall the test takes only a few seconds.

These are probably made in the same PRC factory (dozens of "brands").

-- Chuck
Old 03-20-2017, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Jump starting the car shows that there's no problem between the battery and the starter; that is the starter and associated wiring is OK. If you can't jump start the car the problem is downstream of the battery.

No need to buy one but if you think the auto parts might say the battery is dead just to sell you a new battery a battery tester is $20 at Harbor Freight. A resistance and meter thingie. Loads the battery with a high resistance and measures the voltage under load. Battery may show a perfect 12.7v voltage at rest but drop below 9v under load and that voltage may not be enough to start the car.

I recall the test takes only a few seconds.

These are probably made in the same PRC factory (dozens of "brands").

-- Chuck
Yesterday I tried to start my car with a startbooster on my battery : he did start.
So i have to change my battery i guess?

Last edited by s2kBelg; 03-20-2017 at 01:40 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:04 AM

Sounds like it. Autozone (etc.) should be able to test the battery right in the car with a meter that functions like the one above.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: new starter won't start ?