S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil change resulting in weird noise.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change resulting in weird noise.

So like any 3k oil change i change the oil in my car, use synthetic. but when i went to start it up after it made a real ruff noise and then not even a second later it killed itself. so i got out to see what was up and saw nothing noticeably so i tried again, and it did it again. but a third time it started up normal, now it seems like there is a small clicking noise.

anybody know what happened, did i hurt my car.
Is this a tall tale sign my oil pump might be going. got 100k miles
just seeing if anyone heard of this before.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:22 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

did you check your oil level?
Old 11-05-2010, 01:04 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

Was the real rough noise like a screeching noise, a card-in-the spokes rattling noise, or a grinding noise? Exactly how long did it last each time? Did it begin making the noise immediately when the engine began firing or did it take a while? Do you have a CEL? Is there any possibility that you may have dropped something in the oil cap opening besides oil?

More details would be helpful.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:15 PM

Not to insult you, S2K_Melee, you you have to rule out the simple things first ... did you forget to put oil in? Did you forget to tighten the drain plug ... and you lost all your oil. Did you drop anything into the oil filler hole? Did you use the correct filter?

What kind of filter did you use? If it is (highly) defective and plugged solid with glue or something, it could have starved your engine for precious seconds allowing damage to occur.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:55 PM

rough noise is more like a clunking noise. and yes i put oil in it before i started, and checked the level. drain plug was tightened obviously when i got out of the car the first time and didnt see gushing oil coming out. Im not a mechanical idiot just have never had a car do this before. im positive nothing went in besides oil.
no for the filter i used a fram and the #'s matched.

so say if something was in the oil when poured wouldnt it keep doing it. car is starting fine now.. only thing is its idling really low now when warm.

Slalom- it happened instantly and i mean not even a second later it killed itself. i mean it fired made i weird clunk nois and killed itself..

and its running no codes
Old 11-05-2010, 04:31 PM

I'm not going to draw any conclusions here, but I suggest you pull that Frahm and take a look at it.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21883344-...L-FILTER-REVIEW

For reference, this is a Purolator PureOne that I used for 5k miles on my S2000.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a shot in the dark here so go easy motorheads. "If" you removed your filter from the topside of engine bay check to see if the harness was damaged or not connected properly on the V-tech solenoid valve. Don't know how the engine may or may not act but as I said ....just a shot in the dark here. Otherwise this issue could be a coincidence of a part that is due to fail. Like maybe a TCT.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:50 PM

ok so changed the filter today, even put oil in it. started it up, off the start it was having a hard time running again but this time it didnt kill itself. there was a loud rattling sound coming from the front of the motor but before i made it over there to see where it was coming from it stopped. so turned off the car then started it again and doesnt do it anymore..
any ideas..
Old 11-05-2010, 07:06 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

If it happened instantly, it wasn't the oil filter. I'm no fan of Fram filters either, but you can't blame this on the filter if the noise started instantly.

Check to make sure you didn't leave some tool in the engine bay that may have hit the serpentine belt or some pulley when you started it up. I could imagine a wrench, screwdriver or socket falling down there causing your symptoms.

There's a chance that you flooded or oil fouled your engine and the clunking may have just been the car hitting on one or two cylinders which it couldn't sustain. That would explain why it may have happened a couple of times. This would be most likely to occur if your engine was nice and warm.

It's possible that the clicking noise was there all along and now you just notice it. The valve trains on our engines tend to be noisy anyway.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:34 AM

S2K-Melee, I hate to accuse a forum member of committing a really bone-headed move ... but they happen. I pulled a few of 'em myself over the years when working on my stuff (I am more careful when working on friend's cars and equipment). But, if you've eliminated those things then ...

slalom44, I am also a person that hates the "F" word ... Fram ... but agree that no matter how bad the filter is, it couldn't kill the engine in 1-2 seconds as a couple seconds' worth of dry start is not uncommon when doing an oil change.

But what if the filter was REALLY defective? Maybe some disgruntled fool on their assembly line put something in the filter like a piece of rag or a massive blob of sealant that caused the anti-drain back filter to seal shut?

I think your idea that a tool, or something else fell into the serpentine belt is a really good one. That could make a loud initial clunk or other wracket, possible cause the engine to stall ... and then all sounds disappear as the object falls out or settles into an out-of-the-way corner.

Quick Reply: Oil change resulting in weird noise.