S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Power Steering Issues

Old 01-06-2017, 04:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power Steering Issues

Hi all,
Recently my power steering has been acting funny. In the mornings when I turn the steering wheel it would have a pulsating feel and sometimes feels stiff. Also, when I turn the steering wheel at a stop either left or right it would feel heavy as well but not when driving. I tried doing the torque sensor rest but I would get flashing EPS codes. Seems to be like the DTC 34 and DTC 22. Which is DTC: 34 A problem with the main microcomputer,DTC: 22 Excessive change of the vehicle speed sensor signal. Is the Main Microcomputer the EPS Module?
Old 01-06-2017, 10:18 AM

Is there anywhere I can find this part? The Torque Sensor.53101-S2A-A03 Called Majestic and Hondapartsunlimited and they said it is backorderd and no ETA.

Can I use the AP1 version in the AP2?
Old 01-06-2017, 11:18 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

From seeing similar threads. I believe people are struggling to find the AP1 version as well.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fri3dric3boi
Is there anywhere I can find this part? The Torque Sensor.53101-S2A-A03 Called Majestic and Hondapartsunlimited and they said it is backorderd and no ETA.

Can I use the AP1 version in the AP2?
AP1 torque sensor is discontinued PN# 53101-S2A-A02
Old 01-12-2017, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fri3dric3boi
Hi all,
Recently my power steering has been acting funny. In the mornings when I turn the steering wheel it would have a pulsating feel and sometimes feels stiff. Also, when I turn the steering wheel at a stop either left or right it would feel heavy as well but not when driving. I tried doing the torque sensor rest but I would get flashing EPS codes. Seems to be like the DTC 34 and DTC 22. Which is DTC: 34 A problem with the main microcomputer,DTC: 22 Excessive change of the vehicle speed sensor signal. Is the Main Microcomputer the EPS Module?
34 refers to the EPS Unit AP2 PN# 39980-S2A-A05, also discontinued

What year is your car and I may be able to provide more info on 22
Old 01-12-2017, 12:03 PM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

From another thread:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...ge8/Originally Posted by lachambers
OK Everyone,,, This is really interesting. I jacked the car so that I could get under the front left side and reach the TS (Tension Sensor) which is just behind the front left tire. You don't have to remove the tire if you can get the car high enough to fit under. Looking straight up without removing anything there is the TS and it faces towards the driver on the steering shaft. There is a DUST COVER that keeps dirt out of the TS and it's internal bearings. It just slides on with no threads. Slide it back up the shaft towards the driver and you will see the internal bearing. The purple grease on top of the bearing was very dry and very thick. I cleaned out the old grease with a wooden stick like a Popsicle stick that I trimmed down and shot some WD 40 to loosen up the old grease which seemed to help removing the old grease. The only grease I had is regular lube grease that you would put lube a cars fittings with. There is probably a better grease but I do not know what it would be. I have the manual and it just says a grease point and does not say what type of grease. So I smeared this grease into the bearing as good as I could and pushed down the dust cover. I started driving the car and there was not much difference for the first few miles and the wheel would still shutter but not as intense. As I drove the car the next 20 miles the problem has almost gone completely away. I guess the grease has to work it's way down into that bearing.
Just an FYI .. My car is a Yellow 2002 with 30,200 total miles and I have owned it since new. When I took the car into the dealership (which was the FIRST ever problem with the car they told me it was the TS and they could not find one in the inventory or anywhere other than a used part and could not install a used part due to Honda's requirements. They also said this problem was well known issue according to Honda's hot line but could not fix this issue, so just brought the car home with a $130 charge.
Sorry for this long reply but I know those of you who are having this problem are very frustrated (like me) and want all the information they can find about it....If I have any negative changes to the car I will post here..
Good Luck...
UPDATE, three weeks later, steering issue has totally gone away with the lubing of the TS.. Originally Posted by X2board
Great news. What was your particular problem prior to adding the grease ?

Shuddering
Wandering Steering
Temperature Sensitive
Uneven / Irregular Assist
No Assist
I't still doing fine NO ISSUES after the grease addition. My problem started about a year ago with very light issues while backing out of the garage and making a left turn after out of the garage. While the turn was initiated it would shutter the steering wheel. As last year went on it would come and go mainly in cooler temperatures. Then it started to get bad in Nov of 2016 where it would do it all the time in tight steering areas, moving forward and backwards. Then it started doing it while driving straight lines with slight inputs to the steering wheel. I would feel it lock up and go away then lock up. When I say lock up I mean like hitting a hard spot in the steering. I would always come back to normal after those little shutters in the steering wheel.
Since I added the grease it took a few miles to work in I guess and all the issues went away...
I took it back to the Honda service manger who I spoke with and he told me they were not allowed to add the grease to the TS... Yeah Right!!!
Hope this helps.....
The following users liked this post:
cdelena (01-15-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Reasonable Doubt
34 refers to the EPS Unit AP2 PN# 39980-S2A-A05, also discontinued

What year is your car and I may be able to provide more info on 22
Old 01-17-2017, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
From another thread:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...ge8/Originally Posted by lachambers
OK Everyone,,, This is really interesting. I jacked the car so that I could get under the front left side and reach the TS (Tension Sensor) which is just behind the front left tire. You don't have to remove the tire if you can get the car high enough to fit under. Looking straight up without removing anything there is the TS and it faces towards the driver on the steering shaft. There is a DUST COVER that keeps dirt out of the TS and it's internal bearings. It just slides on with no threads. Slide it back up the shaft towards the driver and you will see the internal bearing. The purple grease on top of the bearing was very dry and very thick. I cleaned out the old grease with a wooden stick like a Popsicle stick that I trimmed down and shot some WD 40 to loosen up the old grease which seemed to help removing the old grease. The only grease I had is regular lube grease that you would put lube a cars fittings with. There is probably a better grease but I do not know what it would be. I have the manual and it just says a grease point and does not say what type of grease. So I smeared this grease into the bearing as good as I could and pushed down the dust cover. I started driving the car and there was not much difference for the first few miles and the wheel would still shutter but not as intense. As I drove the car the next 20 miles the problem has almost gone completely away. I guess the grease has to work it's way down into that bearing.
Just an FYI .. My car is a Yellow 2002 with 30,200 total miles and I have owned it since new. When I took the car into the dealership (which was the FIRST ever problem with the car they told me it was the TS and they could not find one in the inventory or anywhere other than a used part and could not install a used part due to Honda's requirements. They also said this problem was well known issue according to Honda's hot line but could not fix this issue, so just brought the car home with a $130 charge.
Sorry for this long reply but I know those of you who are having this problem are very frustrated (like me) and want all the information they can find about it....If I have any negative changes to the car I will post here..
Good Luck...
UPDATE, three weeks later, steering issue has totally gone away with the lubing of the TS.. Originally Posted by X2board
Great news. What was your particular problem prior to adding the grease ?

Shuddering
Wandering Steering
Temperature Sensitive
Uneven / Irregular Assist
No Assist
I't still doing fine NO ISSUES after the grease addition. My problem started about a year ago with very light issues while backing out of the garage and making a left turn after out of the garage. While the turn was initiated it would shutter the steering wheel. As last year went on it would come and go mainly in cooler temperatures. Then it started to get bad in Nov of 2016 where it would do it all the time in tight steering areas, moving forward and backwards. Then it started doing it while driving straight lines with slight inputs to the steering wheel. I would feel it lock up and go away then lock up. When I say lock up I mean like hitting a hard spot in the steering. I would always come back to normal after those little shutters in the steering wheel.
Since I added the grease it took a few miles to work in I guess and all the issues went away...
I took it back to the Honda service manger who I spoke with and he told me they were not allowed to add the grease to the TS... Yeah Right!!!
Hope this helps.....
did you take any pictures of how you did it?