S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Pulsing shake or vibration from 73 - 88 mph

Old 04-22-2016, 04:05 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I hate to bump an old thread but I didn't want to beat a dead horse and start a new one.

My car has a very faint vibration above 80mph, like everyone states it feels different on different highways.

It does not go away if I let off the accelerator and I do not feel it at low speeds which makes me think it is not the cv buckets.
I have re balanced my wheels twice in the last month. (This problem has been persistent for a few months already.) wheels are all in perfect shape and road force showed no difference in tire wear.

I was going to have the cv buckets swapped tomorrow at a hefty price of $200, I don't mind paying it but don't want to do it if it's not gonna cure my issue. Should I bite the bullet and see if it helps?
Car is a 07 with 80k
Old 04-24-2016, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this to fix a probably altogether unrelated problem, but it won't hurt to try: remove the rust on the brake rotors that contact the rims and the rust on the inside of the rims that contact the rotors. I used a power drill with wire brush attachments. If the rust is left on there, the rims' contact with the rotors, even when the lugs are torqued to spec, won't be perfect. This may cause harmonic vibrations at higher speeds and uneven brake pressure when coming to a slow stop (the problem I was having).
Old 09-21-2016, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Similar problem for me on a 2001 Ap1 (JDM VGS model right hand drive) with 65k miles on it. In fact there are two different problems:

1. Vibrations from rear while accel between 60-80 km/h - on the forums seems to be the cv joints problem, since it's only during acceleration/load and gets stronger if turning at those speeds.

2. A weird elastic vibration/wobble sound from the back that randomly appears and disappears after I slow the car to a stop and seems to be favored by cold weather and driving constantly at ~2500-2700 rpm in 4'th and 5'th (that would be around 50-60 km/h i think) gear for a few minutes. The elastic wobbling sound is quite high, first time I heard it I thought I had a flat tire or bent rim or something. When it starts doing it it only stops if I break to a stand still, doesn't mater if i'm on the brakes, or acceleration or get the gear in neutral, just have to stop on the side of the road or at a stoplight to make it disappear.

Similar to the one in this post but not that loud and it's not permanent, also doesn't change frequency with speed but more the loudness.
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/103...ise-from-rear/

The tires are new yokohamas with around 1500 km on the, got them balanced etc so shouldn't be from those.

If you guys have any advice it would be greatly appreciated. I will make an appointment with my mechanic soon and let him test drive and try to replicate the issues.

P.S. I bought the car last year used.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:55 AM

I wanted to post here instead if a new thread. Needless to say I have the same problem, vibration from ~35 and ~70mph. I only saw one reference to shocks fixing the problem, but it makes sense that a vibration occurring in different speed ranges (linear velocity) would be affected by a loss of damping and allowing the springs to move freeely. Also consider that a hardtop would add significant weight to the car, affecting the springs behavior. I was under my car a few days ago and saw that the stock driver side shock is leaking and am almost ready to pull the trigger on a new set of Konig to see if that is the issue. I hope the shocks caused the vibration and not the vibration killed the shocks.

Any thoughts, insight, success stories involving the shicks? By the way, this is S2kseeker's car. I bought it last spring and have been chasing the same vibration.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2017, 07:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

New tires fixed the vibration I was having at ~75pmh.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I seem to have mostly solved my 70+ MPH vibration, and it has immensely increased my enjoyment in my car again. I'm much, much more confident that when I do happen to feel a vibration, it's the road that's causing it.

The most recent things done that could have affected this issue:

1. Replaced one torn up front motor mount
2. Rotated my tires. Tires are 255 square, Sumitomo HTRZ 2s. I partly think the vibration is caused by these tires, they are cheap, and have a very, very stiff sidewall.
3. Replaced my lug nuts because the set I had was a combination of 2 types
4. Replaced calipers, rotors, pads. Old calipers were sticky, and a very likely cause of the vibration.

As we all know, this car is extremely sensitive to small changes. So the little stuff does add up.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:00 PM

I replaced the shocks with the Koni yellows...no luck, vibration still there.

Next things on my list...check motor mounts, check wheel bearings/hubs, alignment, tire balance.

I pulled the rear calipers last summer and they seemed fine. Will possibly check again just to make sure while I have it in the air for the mounts. Man, I hope I can figure this thing out.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by steamedturtle
I seem to have mostly solved my 70+ MPH vibration, and it has immensely increased my enjoyment in my car again. I'm much, much more confident that when I do happen to feel a vibration, it's the road that's causing it.

The most recent things done that could have affected this issue:

1. Replaced one torn up front motor mount
2. Rotated my tires. Tires are 255 square, Sumitomo HTRZ 2s. I partly think the vibration is caused by these tires, they are cheap, and have a very, very stiff sidewall.
3. Replaced my lug nuts because the set I had was a combination of 2 types
4. Replaced calipers, rotors, pads. Old calipers were sticky, and a very likely cause of the vibration.

As we all know, this car is extremely sensitive to small changes. So the little stuff does add up.

I have the same tires and the same vibration. how much do you think its the calipers over the tires?
Old 05-17-2017, 02:52 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

my vibration was caused by the pinion nut on the diff backing out loose.

this could happen over time with the crushed sleeves as deflection under heavy loads could back the pinion nut loose.