S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Replace rubber brakes lines etc. just on age?

Old 01-15-2017, 07:15 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Replace rubber brakes lines etc. just on age?

I know there are threads spread out all over the forum touching on this and I have read a lot of them. Still, I am uncertain about how aggressive to be about changing the original oem rubber lines including brake lines and radiator hoses, etc. I am 100% street driver and my 02 s2k is almost completely stock - I use ap2 wheels most of the time. I bought it last summer with about 8500 miles. It was owned by an older women and stored in her garage. It is extremely clean. There is no apparent performance problem or deterioration of the brake lines or radiator hoses.

This is my question, to the experienced owners out there, should I change out these rubber lines (brake and radiator) simply given their age, (15 years), even though they look and perform perfectly? Or, should I leave well enough alone? I am trying to do all that should be done to keep this car in tip top shape and reliable.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:24 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

It's a worthy upgrade regardless of how you use the car in my opinion.

You can usually get them for around $100, swap in some DOT 4 fluid while you're there and enjoy the rock solid brake pedal.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:29 PM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

If you tracked the car or drove it on some canyon roads I'd say definitely replace them, there have been a couple horror stories of oem lines breaking in extreme track use. Those brake lines will surely last another 10+ years without issues, but like mentioned above you can get new stainless lines for relatively low cost and they are a nice upgrade in feel and longevity. If it was my car I'd do it, plus it is likely due for a fluid swap.

Last edited by zeroptzero; 01-15-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The rubber is a outer protective layer but the fluid run through a PTFE (teflon) interior line. There is no reason to replace them unless you see deterioration.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:09 PM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

Still got original on my 98 Civic 1.8vti
Stainless on the "S" when I bought it
Old 01-15-2017, 05:53 PM

What about the radiator hoses?
Old 01-15-2017, 06:40 PM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
What about the radiator hoses?
If they aren't soft or blistered they could live a longer life, give them a squeeze and see if they have any softness to them, if not then I'd leave them. But check the plastic tanks on the radiator for any signs of crazing, they are more apt to leak than the hoses.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:43 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Brake lines replace with SS stoptech or which ever brand. Rad hose with mishimoto. Replacing these guys insures u have breaks and coolent all the time . If u track or auto x u need these. For daily I highly recommend it as it's cheap to replace and it adds Safety to ur car.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:02 PM

Received 1,555 Likes on 924 Posts

I agree with zeroptzero on everything. No tracking, no need to change unless you see deterioration. My DD/airport car is a 1994 T-Bird. I just did a full brake job on that and I could find no deterioration to the brake lines. I had a long time friend who has owns a pretty big auto shop to take a look as I also wanted to replace them due to the age. He said what zero said. Stay with them till the look like they are going bad. I should note I do regular maintenance on my cars and I am the orginal owner of the T-Bird.

I also do the squeeze check on the radiator hoses; still original on the 25 year old Ford too. Only the ignition wires have been changed (3 times).
Old 01-16-2017, 05:58 AM

Although I do no tracking - I do drive pretty hard on occasion on back roads in Vermont and New Hampshire, some in the "mountains." We don't call them "canyon" roads in these parts. But, back road driving in the mountains of Vermont and New Hampshire presents similar safety issues if you have a sudden brake failure and it does give the brakes a harder workout then typical street driving. I think your point is that if you are giving your brakes a more of a work out than you do in normal street driving then it might make sense to replace the 15 years old brakes lines. The radiator hoses are not so critical as far as safety goes.

I'm going to replace the brake lines and watch the radiator hoses. I know I am probably falling victim to "new owner syndrome." On the other hand, the car is 15 years old. It is not expensive and it will make me feel more confident and safe.

Next question - what kind of brake lines? Stainless? OEM rubber? A quick look suggests the pricing is not much different between the two. I see Science of Speed, coated stainless, for a little over $100, (https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index...l-coating.html), and I see OEM rubber for a little of $100, (https://www.hondapartsnow.com/oem-honda-brake-line.html). Might be other brands of course. Suggestions?

While we're at it, I may take this opportunity to replace the brake fluid, what type,brand of brake fluid do you recommend for my kind of driving? I'll be keeping oem rotors and pads.

Again, I know this is covered in old threads but things change and it would be helpful to bet some fresh input. Thanks.

Last edited by rpg51; 01-16-2017 at 06:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Replace rubber brakes lines etc. just on age?