S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Replace rubber brakes lines etc. just on age?

Old 01-16-2017, 07:24 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
Although I do no tracking - I do drive pretty hard on occasion on back roads in Vermont and New Hampshire, some in the "mountains." We don't call them "canyon" roads in these parts. But, back road driving in the mountains of Vermont and New Hampshire presents similar safety issues if you have a sudden brake failure and it does give the brakes a harder workout then typical street driving. I think your point is that if you are giving your brakes a more of a work out than you do in normal street driving then it might make sense to replace the 15 years old brakes lines. The radiator hoses are not so critical as far as safety goes.

I'm going to replace the brake lines and watch the radiator hoses. I know I am probably falling victim to "new owner syndrome." On the other hand, the car is 15 years old. It is not expensive and it will make me feel more confident and safe.

Next question - what kind of brake lines? Stainless? OEM rubber? A quick look suggests the pricing is not much different between the two. I see Science of Speed, coated stainless, for a little over $100, (https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index...l-coating.html), and I see OEM rubber for a little of $100, (https://www.hondapartsnow.com/oem-honda-brake-line.html). Might be other brands of course. Suggestions?

While we're at it, I may take this opportunity to replace the brake fluid, what type,brand of brake fluid do you recommend for my kind of driving? I'll be keeping oem rotors and pads.

Again, I know this is covered in old threads but things change and it would be helpful to bet some fresh input. Thanks.

for brake lines go with SS lines. SOS is cool or stoptech. The SS lines give a better pedal feel and it's very direct. And the added safety is a plus.
For brake fluid u can go with ATE super gold or blue ( same stuff different color) has a much higher wet boiling point for the money compared to others. I think 1 liter was like 20$ when I bought it. It is the top 3-5 brake fluid out there. If u wana put a hole in ur pocket u can go with Motul racing fluid or Stoptech.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:27 AM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

I've always wondered -- why does stainless steel give a better "feel?" Since we know Honda lines have an interior with PTFE/teflon/etc -- and on these aftermarket lines, presumably the interior isn't stainless steel, so what gives?

I also can't find the country of origin on the SOS or Stoptech parts, but we know the Honda lines are made in Japan.

And since I'm always questioning, how are people so confident in the QA and R&D manufacturing/testing/longevity of the aftermarket brands on such a crucial [potentially life-threatening in case of failure] part?
Old 01-16-2017, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by HarryD
I've always wondered -- why does stainless steel give a better "feel?" Since we know Honda lines have an interior with PTFE/teflon/etc -- and on these aftermarket lines, presumably the interior isn't stainless steel, so what gives?

I also can't find the country of origin on the SOS or Stoptech parts, but we know the Honda lines are made in Japan.

And since I'm always questioning, how are people so confident in the QA and R&D manufacturing/testing/longevity of the aftermarket brands on such a crucial [potentially life-threatening in case of failure] part?

Lol. Sos is USA origin is Nevada CA. stoptech is USA also ( I think). The oem rubber lines has flex to them when slam on
the brake. There is a ton of vids out there on this. The SS LINES have a direct Feed System. Do. ur research b4 questioning SOS or Stoptech bud. These brands are the leading brands and top quality products. If u ever been to a track u will see 80% of the ppl running stoptech kits and they do this cuz they know they rely on stoptech and their quality.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have not found any real difference in feel. The PTFE line in both does not expand. The SS lines look cool and give better protection from impacts but I don't see a big difference. I currently have SS lines because I got a great deal on them from someone that needed to sell them but I would not buy them for my car otherwise.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:56 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Be careful you don't cause more harm than good. If you can't manage to fully bleed the brakes after replacing hoses, your new SS braided lines will perform worse than your 15 yo rubber ones. Bleeding the brakes after replacing the hoses is not easy. So if you do it, do it right.

You can produce a shocking amount of psi in brake lines when you use them. So they can expand, balloon up. Braided steel lines do a better job preventing this. So firmer pedal. But the lines in our cars are already pretty firm. So the value of such a mod is limited for us.

I would focus attention on other areas of the car...
Old 01-16-2017, 01:11 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Singh_snisen
Lol. Sos is USA origin is Nevada CA. stoptech is USA also ( I think). The oem rubber lines has flex to them when slam on
the brake. There is a ton of vids out there on this. The SS LINES have a direct Feed System. Do. ur research b4 questioning SOS or Stoptech bud. These brands are the leading brands and top quality products. If u ever been to a track u will see 80% of the ppl running stoptech kits and they do this cuz they know they rely on stoptech and their quality.
Re: Stoptech product page @
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Technical White Papers
Stainless Steel Brake Lines Q-A

Re: SOS product page @
https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index...l-coating.html

I know Stoptech has some rotors that are made in the USA, but I could not find country of origin info on their SS brake lines.The Stoptech product page at least includes info about being DOT approved, whereas the SOS simply says "These brake lines are better than the rest!" Not exactly helpful, not unlike your post :P

Also, the Stoptech page touts the benefit of their brake lines to be the "Teflon inner hose," whereas according to them "OEM hoses contain a compliant polymeric..." Since someone in this thread said the Honda OEM lines are also Teflon-inside, does this mean that aftermarket SS brake lines are only there for looks [at least for the S2000]?

Just because all the track guys do it does not mean it always makes sense...
Old 01-16-2017, 01:17 PM

Re: Stoptech product page @
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Technical White Papers
Stainless Steel Brake Lines Q-A

Re: SOS product page @
https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index...l-coating.html

I know Stoptech has some rotors that are made in the USA, but I could not find country of origin info on their SS brake lines.The Stoptech product page at least includes info about being DOT approved, whereas the SOS simply says "These brake lines are better than the rest!" Not exactly helpful, not unlike your post :P

Also, the Stoptech page touts the benefit of their brake lines to be the "Teflon inner hose," whereas according to them "OEM hoses contain a compliant polymeric..." Since someone in this thread said the Honda OEM lines are also Teflon-inside, does this mean that aftermarket SS brake lines are only there for looks [at least for the S2000]?

Just because all the track guys do it does not mean it always makes sense...

i personally have wilwood bbk and lines. Imo all the high grade SS lines r the same. I can tell u from first hand experience these lines r not for show lol. I have blowen an oem line b4. ss lines might not make any difference but I know for a fact they will not leak or blow up on me especially when I'm 120mph+ comin to at 40 mph corner. I no the oem Honda lines r one of the best but after all they r rubber. Only so much stress u can put through them. If u track like once every 2-3 month I suggest u get ss lines. They only 100$. But if u track once a year or just like driving hard they I don't think u need them. Then again 100$ is nothing for s2000 parts. That's cheap
Old 01-16-2017, 02:13 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Once you make the decision to replace the lines the cost of OEM rubber v. SOS Stainless is about the same as far as I can tell. I'll do it myself. If I run into troubles with the bleeding process, which I doubt, I'll have my local trusted mechanic fix up my mess.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:33 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by rpg51
Once you make the decision to replace the lines the cost of OEM rubber v. SOS Stainless is about the same as far as I can tell. I'll do it myself. If I run into troubles with the bleeding process, which I doubt, I'll have my local trusted mechanic fix up my mess.

gravity bleed it!! It's slow but works the best!
Old 01-16-2017, 03:33 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Singh_snisen
gravity bleed it!! It's slow but works the best!
Yup. That is the plan. I have to wait till March or April. But this will be near the top of my list. I'll get all the parts in the meantime so I am ready to go.

Quick Reply: Replace rubber brakes lines etc. just on age?