S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Shake/vibrate intermittent, feels like flat tire

Old 01-07-2017, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Shake/vibrate intermittent, feels like flat tire

I have a 2007 S2000 that gets a shaking/vibration, usually between 30-55 mph. It always feels like a flat tire or a flat spot on the tire. Once I pull over to look and then start driving again, it usually goes away, sometimes not to return again for days at a time. Even at the same speed on the same road. Putting the clutch in does not change the feeling nor does changing speed, except it is less apparent at slower speeds. Steering wheel shakes as well as gear shift. I only feel it on relatively straight, flat roads. I had the tires re-balanced and thought it solved it, but it came back weeks later. Got two new front tires, but it came back again. Honda cannot find the problem nor do they have the time to drive it enough to re-create the feeling since it is so intermittent. It feels like it is coming from the front end. I could use two new rear tires, but hate to put in the money because if this problem cannot be solved I do not feel safe keeping the car much longer.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:41 AM

Is it purely speed related, and in no way rpm related? I've had some vibration issues, once from what I assume were poorly manufactured Dunlop's, every other time it was traced back to the axles. How many miles and have you ever tried swapping or replacing the axles?
Old 01-07-2017, 01:39 PM

I would not even say it is speed related because it does not happen every time I hit a certain speed, and then once its happening and I slow to a stop, I think I do still feel it to some degree. Just not as obvious as over 30 mph. As for being RPM related, I did put in the clutch and it was still happening...so I assume that means its not RPM related.
I have not done anything to the axles but I can suggest that to the mechanic who has it now. What shall I tell him that you think may be wrong with them?
I have 95,000 miles.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

First thing to do is verify tire pressure.

Utah
Old 01-07-2017, 02:13 PM

Yes, thank you. We have been watching tire pressure very carefully. We will verify pressure is OK and 10 minutes out of the garage it can happen anyway.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is 150% a sticking caliper. Ive had this issue twice and had to rebuild the front calipers.

The best way to check is to pull over when it is doing it and one of your wheels will be miles hotter that the others. Thats the one with the sticking caliper.

took me ages to figure it out.

It feels like one of your wheels is going to fall off
Old 01-09-2017, 07:49 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chrome233
This is 150% a sticking caliper. Ive had this issue twice and had to rebuild the front calipers.

The best way to check is to pull over when it is doing it and one of your wheels will be miles hotter that the others. Thats the one with the sticking caliper.

took me ages to figure it out.

It feels like one of your wheels is going to fall off
Damn, beat me to it.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:15 AM

I called my mechanic this morning and he will take it on a test drive today and watch for a sticking caliper. I'll let you know if he discovers anything. Its so intermittent, I hope it happens for him.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:49 PM

Mechanic could not find anything wrong. I finally have the car back and am waiting for it to shake for me so I can feel the wheels. In the meantime, he did do an alignment.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:29 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Is the car lowered or stock height?

utah

Quick Reply: Shake/vibrate intermittent, feels like flat tire