S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

SRS reel replaced, horn/CC not working, help!

Old 12-20-2012, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SRS reel replaced, horn/CC not working, help!

Hi guys,

Long story short, bought the car knowing it needed a new SRS reel (PO ran an aftermarket wheel and removed the SRS reel). Finally got around to replacing the SRS reel, bought a used one from the forums, installed it, horn/cc didn't work, SRS light still on even after doing the reset. Sent that part back to the seller thinking it was faulty. Received a new used SRS reel today and it is still not working. To summarize:

No SRS reel installed in car
SRS light on
Horn not working
Cruise control not working

Installed SRS reel into car, assembled it all back correctly.
Nothing worked, tried SRS light reset, comes right back on after start up.

Replaced SRS reel with a different unit, still not working.
I have checked the fuses and replaced them with the spare fuses that are in the fuse box.

Assuming the fuses are fine, what else could it possibly be?

I plan on buying brand new fuses and trying with them. But if it isn't fuses, what else can I check?

Thanks
Old 12-27-2012, 06:31 AM

Anyone? Just ordered a set of new fuses so will replace those again next week.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:18 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you bothered to see what the code for the SRS light is? Did you buy the same MY reel as your car?

I don't think I'd be throwing money at something without knowing the actual problem. Maybe your passenger airbag is missing?

Refer to:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/928...t__p__21409991
Old 12-27-2012, 10:00 AM

Thanks for that link! Didn't even know you could do that.

The reel is from an 04/05 but thought I read on the forums that it would work on AP1 (I know the 06+ are different). But I also tried an AP1 reel and still didn't work. Passenger air bag shouldn't be missing, no idea why PO would remove that, but I can double check. Only other thing I can think of that might be causing problems, is I am missing the short cable for the seat belt reel on the passenger side. Not sure how to describe it, but unfortunately they do not sell that part separately. I can understand the SRS light going on for that, but the Horn/CC should work regardless if the srs light is on. That makes me think that something else is messed up in the system if the horn doesn't work.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:06 AM

Just double checked and it is the correct part number. 2004 uses the same as 2003. 2005 is different (according to Majestic Honda website./)
Old 12-27-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Need to find code and check again. Could be a sensor in the front as well
Old 12-31-2012, 07:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both the horn switch and the cruise switches use the same power wire in the cable reel, which comes from the horn relay coil and then the horn fuse. So a bad horn relay or bad horn fuse will kill both the horn and cruise control.

Try this - Does the horn honk when you do a double-lock using the key fob? If yes, then the problem is most likely the cable reel or wiring to it. The horn honking with the fob proves the horn fuse and horn relay are both good.

If it does not honk with a double-lock command, then check the horn relay and horn fuse. If you have a meter or test light, verify the horn wire inside the steering wheel has +12v on it all the time. If you ground that wire the horn should honk.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by modifry
Both the horn switch and the cruise switches use the same power wire in the cable reel, which comes from the horn relay coil and then the horn fuse. So a bad horn relay or bad horn fuse will kill both the horn and cruise control.

Try this - Does the horn honk when you do a double-lock using the key fob? If yes, then the problem is most likely the cable reel or wiring to it. The horn honking with the fob proves the horn fuse and horn relay are both good.

If it does not honk with a double-lock command, then check the horn relay and horn fuse. If you have a meter or test light, verify the horn wire inside the steering wheel has +12v on it all the time. If you ground that wire the horn should honk.

Thanks for this response! The horn does honk with the double-lock command.

I just bought a bunch of new fuses, so I will be replacing them all just to be safe. I have tried 2 SRS reels at this point and neither is working, so I'm guessing it's something to do with the wiring leading to the reel. Going to mess with it later this week and hopefully get it working.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:15 PM

So over the weekend I replaced some fuses, and replaced a small cable I was missing for the passenger side seat belt reel. I then reset the SRS light and it went off! Think it was on since I was missing this seat belt reel cable.

Buuuut, my horn and CC still don't work? The horn chirps when I double lock the car with the key fob though. Any ideas>?
Old 07-17-2014, 10:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am having the same exact issue; did you ever figure it out?