S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Timing chain whine after TCT replacement with Ballade Sports TCT

Old 02-01-2017, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing chain whine after TCT replacement with Ballade Sports TCT

basically title, replaced TCT because it was making noise. now on acceleration it has a supercharger like whine. i am not finding very much information from google searches and am really worried since it is related to timing. My S is my daily so any help is greatly appreciated.

edit:
i purchased a Billman model TCT after not having a great experience with Ballade. i will say with confidence, and have expressed this to 2 other s2000 owners already, that Billman is amazing. fast shipping, easy to install part, if you run into issues during install he will literally call you and walk you through install and any concerns you have. my S is back on the road thanks entirely to him. i will be purchasing his products in the future and hope one day to have the car inspected by him as well.

Last edited by Caleb2k; 02-16-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:30 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Try posting a video.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd suggest you stop driving it, like NOW. Had that issue when I did mine. You're supposed to pre-load the TCT to a specific overall length, and install it with engine at TDC. The timing chain should have slack on the side where the TCT is installed.

What happened here, is you have no slack on the chain and you're stressing the hell out of it. This may result in stress cracks or, even worse, chain snapping = pistons becoming intimate with your valves.

I got ahold of the guys at ballade sports (bought from them), and was walked through setting the TCT compression.
it'll be different if you've got an oem replacement.
Billman250, Ballads, threads, or YouTube.

but, I'd suggest you not drive around without resolving it.
The following users liked this post:
Caleb2k (02-04-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by imnida
I'd suggest you stop driving it, like NOW. Had that issue when I did mine. You're supposed to pre-load the TCT to a specific overall length, and install it with engine at TDC. The timing chain should have slack on the side where the TCT is installed.

What happened here, is you have no slack on the chain and you're stressing the hell out of it. This may result in stress cracks or, even worse, chain snapping = pistons becoming intimate with your valves.

I got ahold of the guys at ballade sports (bought from them), and was walked through setting the TCT compression.

ok thank you, like i said dont need it tomorrow. i also spoke with ballade. the technician also advised that if it wasnt going in smoothly to turn the timing about 90 degrees, then push. i did that, it was still having some difficulty sitting flush with the block, but was only sticking out about 3-4mm, the technician then said that when it is that close, that it is fine to go ahead and put the bolts in and turn very very slowly until it was flush, so i did that. i will possibly contact them tomorrow or contact my local "s2000 mechanic" and see about him coming and helping resolve the issue. again thank you for the reply, ill stay off until its resolved.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by imnida

another question for you since youve been in the same boat, from what i understand basically you just keep turning the timing manually until there is slack in the line. tomorrow could i try maybe removing the new TCT, and just keep turning the timing until it goes in easily?
Old 02-02-2017, 05:47 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Mine sat flush up against the block before tightening down. I had my hand on the tct putting pressure on it while turning the crank very slowly, id say about a quarter of a turn it popped right in. No issues here.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:46 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

If you have a whining noise, the chain is severely over tightened.

If you are drawing the tct flush to the head with the bolts, that is the cause.

The tensioner must sit flush to the head with the pressure of no more than one finger. Drawing it in with the bolts will severely over tighten the chain. 1mm of draw is too much let alone 3-4mm.

Last edited by Billman250; 02-03-2017 at 09:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Caleb2k (02-04-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
If you have a whining noise, the chain is way over tightened.

If you are drawing the tct flush to the head with the bolts, that is the cause.

The tensioner must sit flush to the head with the pressure of no more than one finger. Drawing it in with the bolts will severely over tighten the chain. 1mm of draw is too much let alone 3-4mm.
thank you for your reply. another question for you, since i need to remove the new tct should i remove the back plate first and reinstall the banjo bolt until it is tight before i remove it? when doing that it will draw the piston back into the tct correct?
Old 02-02-2017, 11:35 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Didn't buy the Billman Gen X TCT but there Bill was, ready to help by answering questions and giving insight.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:41 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by freq
Didn't buy the Billman Gen X TCT but there Bill was, ready to help by answering questions and giving insight.

Quick Reply: Timing chain whine after TCT replacement with Ballade Sports TCT