S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Timing chain whine after TCT replacement with Ballade Sports TCT

Old 02-02-2017, 09:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are in the Socal area? If you are, why not take the car down to Balladesports so they can install it the right way for you?
Old 02-03-2017, 07:07 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

I am scratching my head here on this install. Don't you insert a pre-loaded and pinned unit into the engine? Once it is in, per Billman, you just remove the wire pin releasing the TCT.

I installed the Billman GenX TCT and it took all of 5 minutes. Works great.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:26 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
I am scratching my head here on this install. Don't you insert a pre-loaded and pinned unit into the engine? Once it is in, per Billman, you just remove the wire pin releasing the TCT.

I installed the Billman GenX TCT and it took all of 5 minutes. Works great.

Agree!!!!--Billman's TCT installs just like the OEM unit because it is a modified OEM one. Took me all of 5 mins also (for each of the two S2000s I've installed them on)

No real way to screw up the Billman TCT installation if you follow the instructions or have the shop manual--

as you stated, it's just bolting the new one in and pulling the pin-----

no need to play around with the starter to try to get the engine and timing chain in the "right position"

And they work great!

Last edited by jetboater; 02-03-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

^ Same with that Inlinepro TCT.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Caleb2k
another question for you since youve been in the same boat, from what i understand basically you just keep turning the timing manually until there is slack in the line. tomorrow could i try maybe removing the new TCT, and just keep turning the timing until it goes in easily?

Well, I cannot call myself an experienced or professional mechanic, but that is logical. I'd be a tad paranoid over the chain jumping teeth (unlikely).

For those that wonder: The Ballade sports TCT isn't held by a pin like the OEM versions. You have a long threaded bolt that screws in from the back and grabs the worm gear and a butterfly nut that will help pull the piston inwards. If i am not mistaken, the overall length of the TCT, compressed, needed to be something like 11CM (i'd seriously consult Ballade on that, though).
Old 02-16-2017, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as stated in OP here is final edit:

i purchased a Billman model TCT after not having a great experience with Ballade. i will say with confidence, and have expressed this to 2 other s2000 owners already, that Billman is amazing. fast shipping, easy to install part, if you run into issues during install he will literally call you and walk you through install and any concerns you have. my S is back on the road thanks entirely to him. i will be purchasing his products in the future and hope one day to have the car inspected by him as well.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:33 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Caleb2k
as stated in OP here is final edit:

i purchased a Billman model TCT after not having a great experience with Ballade. i will say with confidence, and have expressed this to 2 other s2000 owners already, that Billman is amazing. fast shipping, easy to install part, if you run into issues during install he will literally call you and walk you through install and any concerns you have. my S is back on the road thanks entirely to him. i will be purchasing his products in the future and hope one day to have the car inspected by him as well.
Can you elaborate on your experience with Ballade?
Old 02-16-2017, 09:20 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OP I'm sure if you contact Ballade they will be more then willing to help you out, if your in socal swing by they will check out your car. Ballade's TCT comes with a lifetime warranty
Old 02-17-2017, 01:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jr94513
OP I'm sure if you contact Ballade they will be more then willing to help you out, if your in socal swing by they will check out your car. Ballade's TCT comes with a lifetime warranty
I already told him that, not sure why he isn't listening. If I bought a product from someone and it wasn't working the way it was intended to or if I was having trouble with the install, why would you come on here and complain about it instead of just consulting with the shop who provided the product and service for it? Makes no sense. Will be interesting to see the outcome of this situation.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uh0h50
Can you elaborate on your experience with Ballade?
they told me if I could get the TCT to within 2-4mm of the block I could go ahead and wrench it in. That opinion has been conflicted by Billman as well as every other member on this board and that I know IRL. they also were so busy making sure they were in the clear for lawyers or whatever they wouldn't really let me speak or ask questions since I needed advice. Billman was the opposite, very helpful with exactly what tools I needed(I also had to take off my torque damper) and any questions I had as well as checking in when he could on my progress. They are also still not getting back to me about returning my TCT from them and I sent an email inquiring over a week ago. Again this could be a one off and I couldn't go to Ballade since I live in South Carolina but I was not satisfied.

Quick Reply: Timing chain whine after TCT replacement with Ballade Sports TCT