S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Tons of white smoke after long idle

Old 01-14-2017, 07:38 AM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

Originally Posted by Mullallyman
I'm in Kansas City so it is cold but it definitely smelt like oil. I tried to get it to do it again and I can't now. Drove it around a little and then let it idle for 10 minutes and revved it and nothing. Wondering if maybe the pcv could've got a little gulp of oil for some reason? Really at a loss at what it could be besides possible my intake manifold having a loose bolt which I am going to check tomorrow. The one that would be causing 4 to leak I can't really get a good turn on without taking off a coolant hose
I had that happen to me at the Dragon event a couple times and I've seen it on other S2000s that were in front of me, when changing directions, cornering, or just accelerating from a stop, it seems like the engine gets a gulp of oil from the pcv all of a sudden. I think it's white because it is a combination of oil, fuel, and water vapour, and I see it happen more often on vehicles with high flow cats or test pipes, not as much on oem cat equipped cars.

To get to that last bolt on the manifold I can do it with a combination of extensions and a swivel socket and some bright lights, but if you are smelling burnt oil then it won't likely be the manifold issue as that only affects coolant.
The following users liked this post:
Mullallyman (01-14-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 09:28 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I had that happen to me at the Dragon event a couple times and I've seen it on other S2000s that were in front of me, when changing directions, cornering, or just accelerating from a stop, it seems like the engine gets a gulp of oil from the pcv all of a sudden. I think it's white because it is a combination of oil, fuel, and water vapour, and I see it happen more often on vehicles with high flow cats or test pipes, not as much on oem cat equipped cars.

To get to that last bolt on the manifold I can do it with a combination of extensions and a swivel socket and some bright lights, but if you are smelling burnt oil then it won't likely be the manifold issue as that only affects coolant.
Awesome thank you for the info! I have a high flow cat so that would make some sense. It seems like it would be easy for oil to get on top of that plate and then suck a little pool of it up. Time for a catch can! and its not the last one but the one before the last. Its the bolt directly underneath the #4 port. I can get a swivel on it pretty well and get it tight but the angle causes it to slip so i need to pull the coolant hose on the bottom of the air pump valve and then it gives plenty room. just a PITA

Pretty terrifying day! thought my S was going to be out for a while

Last edited by Mullallyman; 01-14-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:40 PM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

Originally Posted by Mullallyman
Awesome thank you for the info! I have a high flow cat so that would make some sense. It seems like it would be easy for oil to get on top of that plate and then suck a little pool of it up. Time for a catch can! and its not the last one but the one before the last. Its the bolt directly underneath the #4 port. I can get a swivel on it pretty well and get it tight but the angle causes it to slip so i need to pull the coolant hose on the bottom of the air pump valve and then it gives plenty room. just a PITA

Pretty terrifying day! thought my S was going to be out for a while
Yeah when I saw it happening with mine I had a high-flow cat too. After I put the oem cat back on it stopped, as oem cats are three-way catalysts so they convert hydrocarbons very well. High flow cats are not three-way so they don't convert hydrocarbons nearly as well. I think you are fine, nothing to worry about IMO, not worth removing a coolant hose as that will just cause more work and introduce air into the cooling system and require burping. It's up to you though.