S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission Fluid Change DIY

Old 08-01-2010, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Thank you kingbriani for the fantastic write up, I used your DIY and the Differential DIY at the same time, and wow what a difference. Diff DIY

Like I said on my post over in the other thread, I wasn't anticipating the difference in how the car reacts, but it seems that this service may have never been done by the previous owner.

Thanks again for your write up, I can't wait to go drive my S some more!!
Old 08-01-2010, 06:21 AM

Great post, did transmission and differential....too easy. Plus the oil that was in the car came out nice and clean....which made me feel better.

vaya_broki
Old 08-08-2010, 05:08 AM

INDYMAC just did a UOA (used oil analysis) on a sample of Honda MTF that came out of his S2000:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbth...964#Post1976964

He also did a VOA (virgin oil analysis) of the new fluid to see its starting point:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbth...039#Post1971039

Interesting stuff for those who care to know the details.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so the Honda MTF does not last long! should we use the GM Synchromesh or any other oil?
Old 08-09-2010, 06:18 PM

buzz944: "So, the Honda MTF does not last long! Should we use the GM Synchromesh or any other oil?"

Even though I have two bottles of Honda MTF 2 on my table, I'm starting to think there may be a better fluid choice for some Honda transmissions ... especially those putting up with 150hp or more.

The original Honda MTF had a cSt (viscosity) of around 10-11 or so (@ 100C/212F). The new one takes a dramatic drop to about 7.5. That's in the same territory of ATFs and ultra-thin syncro fluids like Royal Purple's Syncromax.

And our manuals state that if the proper syncro fluid cannot be obtained, a 10W-30 or 10W-40 motor oil can be substituted ... and they have a viscosity range of about 11.5 - 14 cSt.

Now, that means the "acceptable range" of fluids starts at about 11 cSt and goes all the way down to ATF-thin fluids (cSt of 7.0 or so). I don't know if everyone knows this, but there are dozens of fluids in that range ... including the GM/Chrysler/Pennzoil syncro fluids with a cSt of about 9.0.

I'm going to use my Honda MTF II for now ... but will dump it at the first sign of balky/notchy shifting and (probably) switch to Pennzoil Syncromesh for my next fill.

We'll see ...
Old 08-09-2010, 07:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, I feel really stupid but I can't get the fill bolt off. This is my first time changing my S2000 transmission fluid. I'm using a 17mm with a socket wrench and tried using a PVC pipe as an extension to snap it off... just not working. I'm turning it counter-clockwise, as I'm pretty sure the bolt is normal thread.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to get an impact hammer or something? HELP!
Old 08-10-2010, 02:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like your fill bolt (and probably your drain bolt) was over-torqued on your last service. If you don't know what you are doing, I recommend that you take it to a professional for removal and possible repairs. You did the right thing by trying to remove the fill bolt first though! Hopefully the threads won't have to be machined if removal becomes unconventional. A new fill bolt and crush washer might be required and would be good to have on hand before the servicing.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bror Jace,Aug 9 2010, 09:18 PM
buzz944: "So, the Honda MTF does not last long! Should we use the GM Synchromesh or any other oil?"

Even though I have two bottles of Honda MTF 2 on my table, I'm starting to think there may be a better fluid choice for some Honda transmissions ... especially those putting up with 150hp or more.

The original Honda MTF had a cSt (viscosity) of around 10-11 or so (@ 100C/212F). The new one takes a dramatic drop to about 7.5. That's in the same territory of ATFs and ultra-thin syncro fluids like Royal Purple's Syncromax.

And our manuals state that if the proper syncro fluid cannot be obtained, a 10W-30 or 10W-40 motor oil can be substituted ... and they have a viscosity range of about 11.5 - 14 cSt.

Now, that means the "acceptable range" of fluids starts at about 11 cSt and goes all the way down to ATF-thin fluids (cSt of 7.0 or so). I don't know if everyone knows this, but there are dozens of fluids in that range ... including the GM/Chrysler/Pennzoil syncro fluids with a cSt of about 9.0.

I'm going to use my Honda MTF II for now ... but will dump it at the first sign of balky/notchy shifting and (probably) switch to Pennzoil Syncromesh for my next fill.

We'll see ...
Bror,

I know you're searching for a MTF that will last a long time. I think that is possible, but there will most likely be a trade-off in performance. Many fluids have been tried either intentionally or by mistake.

I recommend that you try the Honda MTF II first and see how that works. I think you'll find that you are very happy (most people are) with the performance. Acceptance of performance is very subjective, especially in this car. One day you'll wake up and drive it and say to yourself that it isn't shifting as well as it used to...time to change the fluid! That's just the way it is.

The Pennzoil, GM and AC Delco (all the same) synchromesh fluids have been tried here and got similar results as Honda MTF I as I recollect. AC Delco/GM Synchromesh Friction Modified got great reviews (from even myself), but didn't necessarily last any longer than Honda MTF I. It only lasted 3K miles for me, and less for people who tracked their cars. Some people were able to do a little better than me. It is the most expensive fluid available ($24/qt).

Many other fluids have been tried as I said: Redline MTL and MT90, AMSOIL MTF and MTG, Specialty Formulas MTL-P, and even M1 75W-90. Some, like myself have tried mixing a couple together for a desired viscosity. Do a search and you will find out a lot of information about the performance. I think the clear favorites are Honda MTF II, AMS MTF, and RL MTL for performance. But like I said, it's very subjective as it will be for you.

Good luck!
Old 08-11-2010, 02:34 PM

INDYMAC,
It's not just the short interval (which is a nuisance, that's all) but the switch from Honda MTF I to Honda MTF II is a decrease of about 30% in viscosity ... in the same tranny that previous called for a thicker oil. That just gived me the heebee jeebees.

I suppose it's no worse than going from a 5W-30 to a 5W-20 in the engine as most Hondas did in 2001.

I already bought the MTF II and will use it in the tranny. I'm already at the point where IU feel the current shift quality is fair to poor. I can feel teeth as I go from 1st to 2nd.

Next time? I'm thinking I'll try Pennzoil Syncromesh or Amsoil MTF II. Hard to say because that will be at least 2 years from now ... even if it only lasts about 8,000 miles.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:18 PM

I think your car came with MTF II as OEM fill. If it has never been changed, than that would explain what condition your fluid is in and the quality of shifting (or lack thereof). Mine came with MTF I OEM, then on to GMSMFM, then on to MTF II, then a quick trial of AMS MTF/MTG blend, then back to MTF II. So like the rest of us have already tried several, I think you will too and then find one that you are comfortable with and settle in. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Change DIY