S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

2017 Solar Eclipse

Old 08-28-2016, 06:10 PM

Received 2,983 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Thank you, Jonathan! I'm seriously looking into booking flights, a rental car and hotel.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:04 PM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Originally Posted by The Raptor
Originally Posted by tof' timestamp='1468537288' post='24016824

OK. Are we about done?

I mean, I love Carly as much as the next Vintager, but
We're talking about total solar eclipses. If you can see the August 2017 total eclipse, I strongly recommend that you do it. It's one of life's great experiences.
I agree. This is a great thread.

My comment was directed at the ongoing "You're So Vain" references.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool!
Old 02-03-2017, 09:35 PM

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by The Raptor
We are traveling to Oregon to see it, probably the Astoria Airport, which has the best chance of good weather. We chase solar eclipses. We've seen total and annular eclipses in Roundup, Montana, Cabo San Lucas, Santa Catalina Island, Aruba, Munich, south of Puerto Vallarta, and St. George, Utah. Here are some pics from our St. George annular eclipse trip in 2012:
Wow! Thanks for the awesome pics and info you've contributed. I think I have Laurie convinced this is a "trip of a lifetime", but these pics will certainly help my case!

Originally Posted by tof
Unlike The Raptor, I have NEVER seen a total eclipse of the sun. Seen a few partials and several total lunar eclipses. But this is on my bucket list.

Fortunately...
a. My son, daughter-in-law, and grandson live in Nashville, which is in the path of totality and
b. It's on Sandy's birthday.

So, yeah, we will probably be visiting our grandson that day.
Any extra space??

Originally Posted by Kyras
It must be the July 11, 1991 eclipse I remember fondly. I was picking my two kids up from preschool in Acton, California and I looked on the ground at the filtered light shining down through the trees. It was the oddest and most interesting thing! Normally filtered light looks like little circles on the ground but in this case it was little crescents. It seemed magical to me.
I remember this, too! The little crescents were incredible! I also created a box viewer to see it (where you put your head in the box with a pinhole in one end), but found that just looking at the ground under the trees was a better view!!

Originally Posted by tof
I agree. This is a great thread.

My comment was directed at the ongoing "You're So Vain" references.
Yay Internet!!

So, I have convinced Laurie this is a worthwhile trip, but I still have to choose an interesting itinerary (for her) that will put us in a place that we can still chase weather, if necessary.

We are located near Baltimore and will likely be looking at Columbia, SC as a target destination. I figure we arrive there a day or two prior and plan from there. I would prefer Charleston or Nashville as an initial destination, but Charleston may limit my options. Opinions?

I'm sure hotel spaces are filling up rapidly, if not already. Any advice is appreciated as I turn toward actually planning this out.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:16 AM

Received 1,180 Likes on 908 Posts

I bought a Meade 647 Flip Mirror System, which allows you to see and shoot through the same telescope. It works like a single lens reflex camera.

https://www.optcorp.com/pdf/meadepdf...orCatPages.pdf

Now, for the first tome, I can shoot through the big scope.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by dwb993
Wow! Thanks for the awesome pics and info you've contributed. I think I have Laurie convinced this is a "trip of a lifetime", but these pics will certainly help my case!

Any extra space??

I remember this, too! The little crescents were incredible! I also created a box viewer to see it (where you put your head in the box with a pinhole in one end), but found that just looking at the ground under the trees was a better view!!

Yay Internet!!

So, I have convinced Laurie this is a worthwhile trip, but I still have to choose an interesting itinerary (for her) that will put us in a place that we can still chase weather, if necessary.

We are located near Baltimore and will likely be looking at Columbia, SC as a target destination. I figure we arrive there a day or two prior and plan from there. I would prefer Charleston or Nashville as an initial destination, but Charleston may limit my options. Opinions?

I'm sure hotel spaces are filling up rapidly, if not already. Any advice is appreciated as I turn toward actually planning this out.
Total Solar Eclipse 2017 - Weather Forecasts
Old 02-04-2017, 09:58 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow! Some very nice hardware, Rob. Anxious to see your eclipse (and other) photos.

Myself, I’ve recently purchased a 400mm Canon compatible lens. Its use will be mostly for wildlife, long distance, and lunar photography.

Here’s my most recent (and best) photo of a waxing half moon that was taken Thursday night through a light haze in Denver. I must admit that telescope, such as yours, with a longer focal length have an advantage over my heavily cropped and post processed photos.

Gary
Old 02-04-2017, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by skunkworks
Wow! Some very nice hardware, Rob. Anxious to see your eclipse (and other) photos.

Myself, I’ve recently purchased a 400mm Canon compatible lens. Its use will be mostly for wildlife, long distance, and lunar photography.

Here’s my most recent (and best) photo of a waxing half moon that was taken Thursday night through a light haze in Denver. I must admit that telescope, such as yours, with a longer focal length have an advantage over my heavily cropped and post processed photos.

Gary
Nice half moon shot. BTW, I'm George, not Rob.

Last edited by The Raptor; 02-07-2017 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:08 PM

Received 3,509 Likes on 2,375 Posts

Eclipse will be cool ( not so much for us in the northeast.) but I'm kinda getting excited for this.
Colliding stars will light up the night sky in 2022 | Science | AAAS

Prediction is for 6 months or so it will be the brightest star in the sky.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:36 AM

Received 2,983 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I've finally nailed down my eclipse plans. I'll be flying into Kansas City, MO on Sunday, August 20th and leaving the next night, after seeing the eclipse just north by about 33 miles. Quick and relatively easy.

Don't we have some members near Kansas City, MO?

Quick Reply: 2017 Solar Eclipse