S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Aging with your S2000

Old 07-15-2016, 04:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Aging with your S2000

Hey all,

I'm at something of a milestone in my life journey. About a year ago I had a lower back sciatica issue manifest itself whose root cause was an accident I was in when I was 13 years old. I'll be 59 years old in September.

I saw a neurosurgeon about the issue and we went through some diagnostics and I have a bulging disk which has evidently been there for a long time as evidenced by the bone erosion around the bulge. Saying all that, the disk has full thickness, so this is entirely a soft tissue issue. He indicated that he would not operate on it, but was certain that if I looked around I could find someone who would. I will/would avoid any sort of back surgery unless there were no other option so that really isn't a concern.

In looking back, I've had symptoms off and on all my life, but never for long periods of time until now.

Like most folks, I sit all day and until recently did little to no regular exercise. I've always worked my backside off around the house with rehab and such, but physical exertion oftentimes does not equal exercise.

The Doctor had given me some recommendations for things to do which helped, but it was amazingly easy to trigger a spasm which would last several days at a time and created excruciating pain.

I've always wanted to try yoga in the past and used this as an excuse to make myself go, so I took an entry level class at a local studio in March. Honestly the first class was fine, but the next morning I had a perturbation of staggering intensity that lasted almost 5 days. It wasn't a pleasant experience.

As result of that experience, and because I couldn't do a lot else, I put together a 15 minute stretching sequence that I now do twice a day, with some strengthening poses added at night.

This activity, combined with the class have me in a significantly more flexible and much stronger position than I've been in a long time. The major perturbations have virtually disappeared and when they do occur, are short in length and minor in intensity. So, by and large, I'm very pleased with the progress. And I've managed to lose weight as well

What does all of this have to do with an S2000 you ask? Well, I find I can only sit in the car for short periods of time before I start to spasm. The short trip back and forth to work is no issue, but my son and I did an all day drive for Father's day and by the end I was miserable.

I love Jessica and revel in driving her, but all this has me asking myself if it's time to move on. The best time to sell her would be before the winter weather sets in, so if I'm going to do it it would have to be in the next 3-4 months.

What are your thoughts?

thanks,
Old 07-15-2016, 04:57 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,565 Posts

I don't have this issue, but a close friend has been plagued with back problems, including those awful spasms, and can no longer drive an S (or any car with a low center of gravity). Just too difficult to get in/out of without pain. IMO you probably have to sell it. Your health is more important than the car. Good luck, whatever you decide.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by MsPerky
I don't have this issue, but a close friend has been plagued with back problems, including those awful spasms, and can no longer drive an S (or any car with a low center of gravity). Just too difficult to get in/out of without pain. IMO you probably have to sell it. Your health is more important than the car. Good luck, whatever you decide.
Thanks Deb. I'm not going to make any rash decisions, but I am leaning in that direction.

Honestly though, in recent weeks, I've made a lot of progress so I'm going to drag this decision out for at least another month or so.

LOML is very happy that I'm thinking of selling the car. To be kind, she is not fond of it.....

cheers
Old 07-15-2016, 05:16 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,565 Posts

Really...why would anyone not love the S???!!! But I guess we drivers are a bit biased. I must say I don't have any fun being a passenger in one (or any other car).
Old 07-15-2016, 05:26 AM

Received 1,102 Likes on 986 Posts

Have you read the book 'Mindbody Prescription' by Dr. John Sarno?
Old 07-15-2016, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by zdave87
Have you read the book 'Mindbody Prescription' by Dr. John Sarno?
No, hadn't heard of much less read it. Did a quick review. Interesting idea. I'll probably queue up a Kindle copy.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:38 AM

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Don't sell it! Not yet anyway. Think about it. If you can enjoy the car on a more limited basis, (not all day drives) and can afford to keep the vehicle keep it. On the longer drives do you stop often, get out and move around? Have you tried a small pillow behind your back or anything else to take the pressure off the area?

I know dlq/Dave's wife was never comfortable in the S due to back issues. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Hoping the best for you.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:50 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

As long as my leg can push the clutch pedal,it's a keeper.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:18 AM

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Try a Back joy it looks like a tractor seat but it totally cured my wife's back issues in the S . Not as serious as your issue but we have been all over North America with little or no issues
Old 07-15-2016, 09:21 AM

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by cdubea
Hey all,

I'm at something of a milestone in my life journey. About a year ago I had a lower back sciatica issue manifest itself whose root cause was an accident I was in when I was 13 years old. I'll be 59 years old in September.

I saw a neurosurgeon about the issue and we went through some diagnostics and I have a bulging disk which has evidently been there for a long time as evidenced by the bone erosion around the bulge. Saying all that, the disk has full thickness, so this is entirely a soft tissue issue. He indicated that he would not operate on it, but was certain that if I looked around I could find someone who would. I will/would avoid any sort of back surgery unless there were no other option so that really isn't a concern.

In looking back, I've had symptoms off and on all my life, but never for long periods of time until now.

Like most folks, I sit all day and until recently did little to no regular exercise. I've always worked my backside off around the house with rehab and such, but physical exertion oftentimes does not equal exercise.

The Doctor had given me some recommendations for things to do which helped, but it was amazingly easy to trigger a spasm which would last several days at a time and created excruciating pain.

I've always wanted to try yoga in the past and used this as an excuse to make myself go, so I took an entry level class at a local studio in March. Honestly the first class was fine, but the next morning I had a perturbation of staggering intensity that lasted almost 5 days. It wasn't a pleasant experience.

As result of that experience, and because I couldn't do a lot else, I put together a 15 minute stretching sequence that I now do twice a day, with some strengthening poses added at night.

This activity, combined with the class have me in a significantly more flexible and much stronger position than I've been in a long time. The major perturbations have virtually disappeared and when they do occur, are short in length and minor in intensity. So, by and large, I'm very pleased with the progress. And I've managed to lose weight as well

What does all of this have to do with an S2000 you ask? Well, I find I can only sit in the car for short periods of time before I start to spasm. The short trip back and forth to work is no issue, but my son and I did an all day drive for Father's day and by the end I was miserable.

I love Jessica and revel in driving her, but all this has me asking myself if it's time to move on. The best time to sell her would be before the winter weather sets in, so if I'm going to do it it would have to be in the next 3-4 months.

What are your thoughts?

thanks,
https://jet.com/product/detail/087d5...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is what Bob is referring to ... My wife & I both have one ... They really, really do work ... We have used them on LONG hauls..( out west 3 times ) I HIGHLY recommend them...

Quick Reply: Aging with your S2000