S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Barbara's Next Daily Driver

Old 01-15-2017, 07:25 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
Bill,

I don't know what it is with Acura dealers, but the experience is awful. We've bought two cars from the Acura dealer in our area and were disappointed both times. After the first experience we had a bad taste in our mouth for the dealership and didn't want to go back, but they were the only game in town. The experience after the second purchase was so poor that we won't go back. If we ever buy another Acura, it won't be from this dealer. Others have had similar experiences. I think it's probably part of the Acura franchise agreement to offend customers.

When I sold my X-1/9 Liz and I decided that we wanted a spare vehicle just to have around. We wanted All Wheel Drive for the winter and something with a little hauling capacity. We didn't want anything too big and we wanted something reliable. We ended up buying a Certified Pre Owned CR-V. I didn't think I'd like it, but I've grown very fond of it. Liz loves it. In the 14 months that we own it we've put almost 20,000 miles on it. It's become our weekend car and our visiting Adam in Virginia car. Right now because Adam has my BMW in Virginia, the CR-V has become my daily driver. It's not an exciting car, and it's not fun to drive like the S2000 is (it's not even as much fun as the BMW) but it's very reliable and does everything we ask it to do. I wasn't too fond of the CVT but we've not had any problems with it, and it does seem to have enough power to suit us. We have a 2012 EX-L. If I was buying new today I'd buy the Touring version. When Liz's TSX comes to the end of it's life in a few years, she likes the CR-V so much we'll probably buy a new Touring version.

We also tested the HR-V and thought it was very nice, but decided that if we were going to buy a Cute Ute we may as well buy something a little be bigger, a little bit more powerful and something that better serves our needs.

I'll bet that when Barbara drives the CR-V she'll like it. We do.

By the way, the big problem with Honda and Toyota dealers and dealerships are that they are always busy. We've bought a lot of cars from our local Honda dealer and we get a lot of attention, but if we were walking in cold, I could see where we'd have to wait for attention.

Good luck.
Thanks Rob. Another concern I have about doing business with a Honda dealer is the trade-in value on the Lexus.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:34 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Thanks Rob. Another concern I have about doing business with a Honda dealer is the trade-in value on the Lexus.
That could be a problem. Honda dealers don't especially like tradeins. Who knows, maybe they'll offer you a good price, but the CR-V is one of the stars of the Honda line and they tend to be a bit independent.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:45 AM

Received 4,934 Likes on 2,992 Posts

Bill, this is one you can cross off your list without ever seeing it...

GMC Terrain shift buttons

In 2016, the Dumb-est Shifter of the Year Award went to the lever inside the Buick LaCrosse and Cadillac XT5. GM is clearly looking for a repeat win in 2017, so it introduced a series of shift buttons on the new GMC Terrain that are designed by the Three Stooges. The instructions go like this: push one button for Park, pull another for Reverse and to put it in Neutral you slap yourself on the back of the head for buying a GMC Terrain. Consumers already have plenty of confusing gear shift options to choose from, and this confusion can lead to dangerous consequences; you'd think automakers would start to wise up and just give us something that makes sense.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...utonews-weekly
Old 01-16-2017, 06:30 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Bill, this is one you can cross off your list without ever seeing it...

GMC Terrain shift buttons

In 2016, the Dumb-est Shifter of the Year Award went to the lever inside the Buick LaCrosse and Cadillac XT5. GM is clearly looking for a repeat win in 2017, so it introduced a series of shift buttons on the new GMC Terrain that are designed by the Three Stooges. The instructions go like this: push one button for Park, pull another for Reverse and to put it in Neutral you slap yourself on the back of the head for buying a GMC Terrain. Consumers already have plenty of confusing gear shift options to choose from, and this confusion can lead to dangerous consequences; you'd think automakers would start to wise up and just give us something that makes sense.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...utonews-weekly
Now there are some memories, my mother had a 58 Plymouth (Savoy, I think) with push-button shifting. Not a great car.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:23 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

I had a 58 Dodge with a push button tranny. (and fins) Ugly car, but it also had a semi-hemi engine and was the second fastest car in my high school.
Also I only paid $100.00 for it cause the seller thought the steering was failing. It was only a power steering belt that needed to be tightened.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:46 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

My neighbor bought an Infiniti QX30 SUV, AWD and loaded for under $40K. He's only had it a few weeks, but it's a nice looking car and so far he's pleased.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jet sitter
My neighbor bought an Infiniti QX30 SUV, AWD and loaded for under $40K. He's only had it a few weeks, but it's a nice looking car and so far he's pleased.
Thanks for the tip. The price seems great. The vehicle looks like another "pill box" with high belt lines that are difficult for a short person to see over like the Mercedes, but we'll take a look.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:00 PM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

I think the high belt lines derive from a euro pedestrian safety thing.
When they raised the front bumper height requirements to not hit pedestrians low it screwed up how a vehicle lines flow.
The high doors I think are also how they get better side impact numbers.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:16 AM

Received 697 Likes on 473 Posts

Bill, I know you have an M235 so how about a 228ix for her. My wife loves ours and the mileage is excellent. Ge an Estoril blue and you can be twins.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:23 AM

Maybe Ray. We did stop by the BMW dealer around the time I first started this thread. She hasn't asked to go back.

Quick Reply: Barbara's Next Daily Driver