S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Barbara's Next Daily Driver

Old 01-30-2017, 02:44 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
same here. Have you seen any reliability reports on them? If reliability is ok and if Barbara likes it, I can live with it.
I'd like to hear from someone who actually has one. The information that I have is that Honda recalled something like 140K cars for transmission problems. This is the single reason that Honda lost their most reliable rating. I drove a Honda Accord a couple of years ago with a CVT, didn't like it. They may have improved since then, but IMO, it's not something a person who enjoys driving would want. That's another reason, I keep driving my 2000 Accord, not many new cars drive as well. I drove a new Accord with a 6mt and immediately noticed that there is little or no road feel. The only other car that I drove recently, another 6mt, was the Mazda 3 HB. It has good power, fun to drive, not much back seat space. On the Honda Civic recall, the reason for the recall was the front wheels locking up at speed. That would certainly get your attention.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:53 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet sitter
I'd like to hear from someone who actually has one. The information that I have is that Honda recalled something like 140K cars for transmission problems. This is the single reason that Honda lost their most reliable rating. I drove a Honda Accord a couple of years ago with a CVT, didn't like it. They may have improved since then, but IMO, it's not something a person who enjoys driving would want. That's another reason, I keep driving my 2000 Accord, not many new cars drive as well. I drove a new Accord with a 6mt and immediately noticed that there is little or no road feel. The only other car that I drove recently, another 6mt, was the Mazda 3 HB. It has good power, fun to drive, not much back seat space. On the Honda Civic recall, the reason for the recall was the front wheels locking up at speed. That would certainly get your attention.

That's for sure!
Old 01-30-2017, 04:07 PM

Received 4,934 Likes on 2,992 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
I'll take her to the dealer and see what she thinks. Thanks for the tip.
If you are ref'g the VW; that's a 2018 model.... could be a long wait.

I agree on the CTV. I drove a Nissan with CTV a few years back and did not like it.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:54 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet sitter
I have a CR-V. In the last year Liz and I have put on 20,000 miles. We bought it as a spare vehicle to have around for when we needed the utility and when it snows. In the last year it's become our weekend vehicle, and Liz was actually using it every day. My son Adam has my BMW in Virginia so the CR-V has become my daily driver for the last three weeks. As much as I hate to admit it, I've become very fond of it. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't give up my S2000 for a CR-V, but for what it is and what it does, its very good.

The CVT transmission is very interesting. Mostly, it's hard to tell the difference between it and an automatic (keep in mind that I'm not especially fond of automatic transmissions). The only time it's felt a little strange is early in the morning while the car is still cold, under hard acceleration the transmission feels like its driven by rubber bands. Once I get up my driveway, and the car warms up the CVT feels very much like any auto transmission. Over the last few days I've been paying closer attention to the transmission because of what I read here, but again, to me it feels like any auto, even under hard acceleration once the car is warmed up. I would expect that in normal everyday driving you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the CVT in the CR-V and an automatic.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:37 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

^Thanks Rob for posting up, I may drop by the dealer and take one for a drive.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:24 PM

I've spoken to two people in the past week that really like the Nissan Rogue.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Consumer Reports states and I am convinced you Cant beat the Toyota Highlander XLE AWD. I sold my 2002 4Runner and bought a 2015 Highlander and enjoy it .....
Old 02-27-2017, 04:11 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks for the recommendation. The Highlander is the same as the Lexus RX 350. It is too big for Barbara.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:20 AM

This is a web site which I really like and encourage others to join and submit their repair history. They just improved how they show the feedback they get. This 'by generation' look at car models is very telling IMHO.

Reliability by Model Generation | TrueDelta
Old 02-28-2017, 06:29 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Nice link! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Barbara's Next Daily Driver