S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Discussion on Good Movies

Old 12-03-2005, 04:52 PM

Received 427 Likes on 311 Posts
Default Discussion on Good Movies

I watched the "Big Fish" the other day and thought it was an interesting movie that dealt with reconciliation of dying father with a son who misunderstood his father's story telling of his life as nothing more than fictitious lies.

Perhaps there were other threads on this topic of movie discussion but I thought why not start another one. What have you seen lately? It doesn't have to be new movies as I wait until the new movies come out on DVDs. I thought "War of the Worlds" was a good movie too. That was another thought provoking movie.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Honda 367
What have you seen lately?
Not, unfortunately, any good ones.

I, too, wait for movies on DVD (I long ago got tired of my feet sticking to the floor in what passes for theaters; and now, I expect that cell phones make the whole experience really, really bad). What that means, of course, is that I'm not up on recent releases.

Different people will have different notions of what a "good movie" is, so it may be useful for me to see if I can outline my tastes. In traditional terms, I tend to like witty romantic comedies and science fiction that doesn't take itself too seriously.

So that's the context in which I found "Revenge of the Sith" to be terribly disappointing. This, the final Star Wars chapter, had the handicap that we all knew how it had to end, in some macro sense; and maybe my expectations were too high. Star Wars I, after all, was just lousy, for the most part; and Star Wars II, while a little better with some promising scenes, just set up the Big Ending. So George Lucas had his work cut out in making Star Wars III -- and he just didn't pull it off. A real disappointment all around. HPH
Old 12-03-2005, 05:36 PM

"Sullivan's Travels" starring Joel McCrea and Veronica Lake, written and directed by Preston Sturges, released in 1942. I'll be seeing some more Preston Sturges films.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:45 PM

Seeing Walk The Line tomorrow, hope it's good.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:46 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

I haven't seen it yet, but I want to see "Good night and good luck". Has anyone seen it? Any opinions?
Old 12-03-2005, 05:53 PM

Hilly and I thoroughly enjoyed the Wallace & Grommitt movie, along with Chicken Little. Both movies had a rather large audience of children, and their reactions enhanced our enjoyment of the movies.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:19 PM

If anyone has not seen "The House of Sand and Fog" I highly recommend it. It's a couple of years (2003) old but well worth the rental charge.

Another is Crash - NOT the Cronenburg one but the new one. Again not new, (2004) but another good movie imo.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:32 PM

Received 2,966 Likes on 1,651 Posts

I was thinking we needed a thread like this in Vintage. Glad you started it, Honda 367. Last movie we went to see was 40 Year Old Virgin. Pretty raunchy but we enjoyed it.

We just finished watching the DVD, "Dear Frankie". It's an English movie which we liked better once I figured out how to turn on the subtitles. It was good and worth renting.

I just signed up for NetFlix today. On my list is Westside Story. Never saw it but I've been told/chastised for that.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:58 PM

Received 379 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper,Dec 3 2005, 06:46 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but I want to see "Good night and good luck". Has anyone seen it? Any opinions?

We need another Edward Murrow to get after Bush.

The movie was excellent but keep in mind it's a based on a true story type film, and it's in B&W.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:35 AM

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,566 Posts

There are several new movies out I want to see, but I also usually wait until they are released on DVD and rent them. Three off the top of my head are "Capote", "The Squid and the Whale", and "Pride and Prejudice". I tend to like independent and foreign films. "March of the Penguins" was fabulous. Also, an older but great little film is "Napoleon Dynamite".

Quick Reply: Discussion on Good Movies