S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Discussion on Good Movies

Old 03-22-2017, 06:05 AM

Received 2,982 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
Saw The Shack last night. My niece read the book, and discussed it with my wife, shortly before she passed away. The movie is a real tearjerker and had an impact on my wife who has had a hard time with my niece's death. I think she feels a little closer to her now and I think the movie helped with her healing process. I'm not a believer in God, but still enjoyed the movie.

The Shack
I saw "The Shack" a week ago. I liked it but as with every movie, if I've read the book first, I don't enjoy the movie as much as I probably would if I hadn't read the book first. I loved the book but my imagination of the wondrous things in the book was better than the movie's presentation. I always am thinking of how the two are different while watching. The book actually changed my beliefs.

Oh, and I saw "Beauty and the Beast" on Monday, in Colorado Springs, with my sister and others. It wasn't on my to-do list. At least there were fine recliners.

Last edited by Kyras; 03-22-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:07 AM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
We've got a theater 10 minutes from the house that shows first run movies for $5.25 on Tuesday nights. We go about once a month, but never buy the popcorn. They just added the recliner seats, so I expect the price will be climbing. We liked it before the recliners. Could show up as the movie was starting and still get a great seat. With the reserved recliners, there are fewer seats and the good ones go early. Also makes it difficult to make last minute plans with our nieces, because you need to buy the seats a day ahead now.
I HAVE to have popcorn on the rare times I do go to the movies.

I watched "Manchester By the Sea" the other night. I found it really dragged. I know it won awards, the acting was good, but I'm happy I watched it on a Netflix DVD vs dishing out $$ to see that one in a theater!
Old 03-22-2017, 06:15 AM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

I can recommend "Sully". Another solid Tom Hanks performance. Really does a nice job portraying the absolute terror that must have been felt by the flight's passengers. It also highlights the crucial role of the responders in keeping the disaster's death toll at zero. And like Apollo 13, the suspense builds nicely even though you know how things turn out. The film also focuses on the follow-up investigation. The NTSB examination is a fascinating part of the story that I was not all that familiar with. A little research seems to confirm the overall accuracy of the film's portrayal of this investigation and its ultimate outcome.

Also saw "Deepwater Horizon". Not bad. Does a good job of communicating the enormity and complexity offshore drilling rigs and of just what a hell-on-earth one can become when things go wrong. Apparently the film sticks pretty much to the facts. But the film does oversimplify assignment of blame for the disaster, painting BP in general, and BP well site leader Donald Vidrine specifically, in the all-important (to Hollywood) villain role. The facts are much more complicated and blame for the disaster was assigned by governmental and independent reports to multiple people and corporations. But I suppose the black eye BP gets in this film is well enough deserved even if other players get off a little too easy. Anyway, John Malkovich's portrayal of Vidrine is worth the price of admission.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:34 AM

We to enjoyed "Sully" also watched "Hacksaw Ridge" recently. It's pretty gory, but if anyone has any doubts as to why some men come back from a war (any war) with emotional difficulties, watch as the troops go into battle. Within five minutes, you will have no doubt as to what these brave folks deal with.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:20 AM

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
We to enjoyed "Sully" also watched "Hacksaw Ridge" recently. It's pretty gory, but if anyone has any doubts as to why some men come back from a war (any war) with emotional difficulties, watch as the troops go into battle. Within five minutes, you will have no doubt as to what these brave folks deal with.
I agree 110%
Old 03-23-2017, 03:02 AM

Received 152 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
I HAVE to have popcorn on the rare times I do go to the movies.

I watched "Manchester By the Sea" the other night. I found it really dragged. I know it won awards, the acting was good, but I'm happy I watched it on a Netflix DVD vs dishing out $$ to see that one in a theater!
We had seen this at the theater and our feelings mimic yours.... the academy may have liked it, but we thought it was a waste of time.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:58 AM

I enjoyed Manchester By the Sea. I was a downer but I thought the acting was great. It was in my opinion a true to life movie.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
I enjoyed Manchester By the Sea. I was a downer but I thought the acting was great. It was in my opinion a true to life movie.
It was...and I knew the movie was going to be a downer, but still thought it dragged. I did enjoy seeing the area the movie was filmed in. It's about and hour a half from our house. It's on the list of places to go to this summer, camera in hand.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:54 PM

We saw "Gifted" this past weekend. It was great! We really enjoyed it.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:24 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Sullly-This is the first movie that I've watched in a very long time where I knew how it was going to end before it started but still found it exciting. Tom Hanks is perhaps the best male actor of the last two decades and he lives up to that title in this movie. The movie was very good, not great, but very good and the scenes of the crash, evacuation of the plane and rescue were exciting. Liz brought home the DVD from the library so I saw it on a TV. I suppose it would have been even better in a movie theatre. Still, it was worth watching.

Quick Reply: Discussion on Good Movies