S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

F1 points system

Old 02-03-2004, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F1 points system

I know there are a lot of race fans in here, so I thought I would post this here...

'Unfair' Points System will Stay, Says Mosley
Tuesday February 3rd, 2004

Formula One will continue with the revised points system introduced in 2003 despite Ferrari criticisms that it is unfair, FIA president Max Mosley has said.

"There has been no move at all (to reconsider) either in the Formula One commission or recently in a meeting of team principals," he said. "I think it was Luca who said 'it's unfair.' Well, we know that. I don't think it will change."

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has criticised the system, which awards points in a 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 format instead of a previous 10-6-4-3-2-1, and urged the International Automobile Federation to change it.

The scoring puts a premium on consistent finishing rather than race wins. McLaren's Kimi Raikkonen almost secured the Championship last year despite the Finn having only one victory to Michael Schumacher's six. The German claimed a record sixth title by two points.

Mosley conceded that it would have been unjust had Raikkonen clinched the title at the final race of the season at Suzuka but said it was a price that had to be paid.

"It's one of those things that was discussed at great length," he said. "The downside is that you could win the Championship without winning an event. The smaller you make the gap (between first and second) the more likely you are to have somebody who has only won one race or no races winning the Championship. It really could happen.

"But then the other side is that it makes it more likely that people go to the end of the season, which indeed it did. If we'd had the old points system we wouldn't have gone to Suzuka last year with the Championship still open.

"We could have got a very unfair result if it had rained at that race at Suzuka and probably Raikkonen would have been champion. And you could argue that would have been, in regard to the whole season, not the right result.

"But that's the price you pay for a system that makes it interesting."

What do you think about this points system? How can Mosley keep this point system when he has already admitted that it would have been unjust for KR to win last year? Is the points system in place merely to add drama to the season or to truly award the racers?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 02-03-2004, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another example of Max and Bernie shoving their heads into the sand. We have all heard over and over the big auto makers are ready to pull out of F1 and start their own series, it's things like this that make me understand why they would think about that...

Max has come right out and said it is an unjust system, but then fails to make a change, to me that is another example of a pathetic work ethic. Good grief man, if you feel it is wrong stand up and grow a backbone.

I think the original change to give the first 8 cars points was good because it gives everybody more hope, but the measly 2 little points for 1st over 2nd is lame. A driver and a team really push and take calculated risks to get to 1st, they should be rewarded for having the fortitude to handle the risk management. Come on Max, come on Bernie, why can't you just give away a few more points and adopt the following- 12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1?

And while we are at it, why not give a point to getting pole position? With the new one engine rule, this will make the risk of pushing to get pole even more worthy of a true championship team.

Thanks Matrix, now I can turn down the heat in here because now I am hot...
Old 02-03-2004, 12:12 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

The same is in NASCAR right now... Winning should have more points than it is currently. How could Raikenen be so close to winning the Championship when Schumacher had won so many races?

It will be a sad day when someone wins a Championship with only one win or no wins; doesn't sound like a champion to me...

Maybe Minardi can get some point after all....
Old 02-03-2004, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by mosesbotbol
It will be a sad day when someone wins a Championship with only one win or no wins; doesn't sound like a champion to me...
- You hit the nail on the head!

I know I wouldn't want to be called a champion if I didn't win a single race all season....would you call that person a champion????
Old 02-03-2004, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Triple-H
adopt the following- 12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1?
This is a good idea....
Old 02-03-2004, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I realize the total number of points would be higher come the end of the year, but that should not make a difference. Be it 10 or 12 for the win what's the difference as long as it is substantially more than 2nd place.

And I must admit, I'm a huge fan of giving a single point away to the winner of the pole position for each race.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:27 PM

with the point for pole. Give the reward to the fastest person, not to someone who continually places second....
Old 02-06-2004, 08:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Although I greatly enjoyed last year's championship chase far better than the rout of 2002 I do agree there should be more points for winning (I like the 12 concept) to reward victories. I do not favor any other phoney adjustments to the competitive nature of F1, let the teams spend what they can to win and the best one will. I have always thought the concept of a point for pole (like in the 1950's) was a good idea in any form of racing.

With the well-known clout the Scuderia has in F1 I wonder how long it will take to get a revised points system in place. The demise of the GPWC group does not in my opinion reduce the massive influence Ferrari has on the series.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:25 PM

Well, what do you (and Mosley and Eccelstone) want? You want a big reward for wins, or a championship that comes down to the wire?

I can respect a champion with 1 win and 10 2nd places. If that's what the rules say, that's the champion.

Really, at this point, ANYONE but Schumacher and Ferrari. Enough is enough.

(go Alonso!)
Old 02-07-2004, 07:21 AM

I want the winner to be rewarded. What is the point of racing if winning is not important?

Quick Reply: F1 points system