S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Feeding the Birds

Old 02-13-2017, 08:22 AM

Received 2,766 Likes on 1,626 Posts

I only have a minor issue with squirrels. The spring loaded feeders seem to keep them out. They do dine on the suet from time to time, but not a huge deal.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:24 PM

Received 4,951 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
Squirrels have not been a problem in the 24 years I've been feeding the birds here......until this past week. I noticed the suet feeder was laying on the ground a few days ago. Went out to investigate and it looked like my fault. I had recently filled it and it appeared that I hadn't tightened the nut/hanging loop that holds the top on the cage. The nut/loop was still hanging from the Shepard's hook, but the feeder was on the ground. Refilled it and secured the top. Fast forward to Saturday and I see a squirrel on top of the suet feeder trying his best to get in. Turns out he had climbed the tree next to it and dropped 4'-5' on to the feeder from a branch above. Moved the feeder out from under the tree and the squirrel has gone back to grazing under the feeders. Saw him later making an attempt to climb the pole for the main feeder, but the squirrel baffle did just that...baffled him.
They are a pain but you got'a love 'em. Why eat off the ground when you can sit at the table!
Old 02-14-2017, 04:13 PM

Received 158 Likes on 143 Posts

Having an issue with feral cats lately, so got the neighbors trap and baited it..... as of yesterday, caught 2 squirrels!

For squirrels, use the catch and release policy!

In the 3-5 years that I have used the trap on and off, never before have caught a squirrel.

Squirrels sure can move quick when you open the trap door!
Old 02-20-2017, 08:07 PM

frig'n red wing black birds showed up yesterday and are still here . . . where is the snow when we want it!
Old 02-21-2017, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04
frig'n red wing black birds showed up yesterday and are still here . . . where is the snow when we want it!
Do the blackbirds not show up in the snow?

My feeders were a bit quiet the last few days. No storms in sight, I guess.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:29 PM

^ No, we never see red wing blackbirds in the winter but its hard to call 50-60° winter, so a couple are here.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:55 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Dave, why do you dislike the red-wing black birds so much? We had a pair nest in the garden two years ago and we learnt to expect "low flying birds", reminder attacks, which I think lasted for about three weeks. It didn't seem to bother the other birds in the garden. I was disappointed that the following year when they checked us out we didn't qualify for a nest.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tachus
Dave, why do you dislike the red-wing black birds so much? We had a pair nest in the garden two years ago and we learnt to expect "low flying birds", reminder attacks, which I think lasted for about three weeks. It didn't seem to bother the other birds in the garden. I was disappointed that the following year when they checked us out we didn't qualify for a nest.
We live in a migrant bird corridor. When the Red Wing Blackbirds arrive in late winter/ early spring they can annihilate a feeder in 1/2hrs time. The flock will come in and take over driving all of our local birds that winter there away from the feeders they are used to sharing. They will not leave until all of the feed is gone or I have had enough and send a warning shot out with a shotgun. They usually get the message after that... until the next wave arrives.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tachus
Dave, why do you dislike the red-wing black birds so much?
What fullback said. They are mean birds who take over the feeders. They are not into sharing. And once they find a good food supply, like ours with half a dozen feeders, more and more and more show up until we just stop feeding all the birds!
Old 02-23-2017, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04
What fullback said. They are mean birds who take over the feeders. They are not into sharing. And once they find a good food supply, like ours with half a dozen feeders, more and more and more show up until we just stop feeding all the birds!
How long do they hang around, Dave? Do you leave feeders empty in an effort to discourage them? The house sparrows are not that aggressive, but they have been my problem, as they do/did seem to discourage other birds from feeding. My weighted fishing line near/on feeders is still keeping them away.

Quick Reply: Feeding the Birds