S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Issue with gas furnace - Any experience with this?

Old 02-10-2017, 04:17 AM

Received 2,746 Likes on 1,620 Posts
Default Issue with gas furnace - Any experience with this?

We had a new gas furnace installed about 6 years ago. Time flies. We've never bothered having it cleaned, as we were under the impression that was more necessary for oil burners/furnaces. Rick changes the filter regularly.

Twice in the last little while the furnace does not cycle on to heat, and the temp drops more than two degrees past the set temp, last night it was 4 degrees and still the heat did not turn on. Rick has turned the main switch off and on again and it works fine. We have also noticed the thermostat (digital) buttons are not as responsive as they work, especially if adjusting down, have to hold/push the button a few times.

I called for service but they have warned me that if the system is not malfunctioning when they arrive they may not find anything, I get that. I asked if there was something that possibly just needs cleaning, and there is some kind of rod. So I have asked them to come by and clean the furnace $99.00 (cash or CC only). Thinking of having them replace the thermostat as well $85.00.

Could the thermostat be more likely to be the culprit here?
Old 02-10-2017, 04:41 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Lots of electronics is some new furnaces but I suspect the thermostat. Consider a "smart" thermostat. I put a Honeywell version (Home Depot) on my 7 year old system a couple of years ago. Mainly for remote access because we're often away from this house. It works wonderfully. Has a fan setting for Circulate that runs it periodically during the day to keep the temps even. These need some sort of special wire (C?) in the system to work. New furnace in our main house this past summer has a similar but more basic thermostat (also remote control).

-- Chuck
Old 02-10-2017, 04:42 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
We had a new gas furnace installed about 6 years ago. Time flies. We've never bothered having it cleaned, as we were under the impression that was more necessary for oil burners/furnaces. Rick changes the filter regularly.

Twice in the last little while the furnace does not cycle on to heat, and the temp drops more than two degrees past the set temp, last night it was 4 degrees and still the heat did not turn on. Rick has turned the main switch off and on again and it works fine. We have also noticed the thermostat (digital) buttons are not as responsive as they work, especially if adjusting down, have to hold/push the button a few times.

I called for service but they have warned me that if the system is not malfunctioning when they arrive they may not find anything, I get that. I asked if there was something that possibly just needs cleaning, and there is some kind of rod. So I have asked them to come by and clean the furnace $99.00 (cash or CC only). Thinking of having them replace the thermostat as well $85.00.

Could the thermostat be more likely to be the culprit here?
In addition to the cleaning, my vote is the thermostat. Get one at Lowes or Home Depot and DIY. A simple job. I just replaced ours with a programmable one that can be set-back at night to save a little energy. It can be adjusted as to how much below the set-point to come on. I have also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:17 AM

OK, guy just left. He thinks the issue could have been that there was a little cleaning needed, but I had him change the thermostat as well. He said if it happens again to check for a code that will be visible.

We are not real DIY people lately....no time. I know I probably just paid $85.00 for a $20.00 thermostat........
Old 02-10-2017, 05:21 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 763 Posts

OK, guy just left. He thinks the issue could have been that there was a little cleaning needed, but I had him change the thermostat as well. He said if it happens again to check for a code that will be visible.

We are not real DIY people lately....no time. I know I probably just paid $85.00 for a $20.00 thermostat........
Well, let us know if that fixed it.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:35 AM

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,513 Posts

I would lean towards a good cleaning. In the newer furnaces there are multiple sensors to detect pressure differences, current flow to ignition coils, presences of spark at igniter, etc. By cycling the power you would have reset any errors the system had detected.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
I would lean towards a good cleaning. In the newer furnaces there are multiple sensors to detect pressure differences, current flow to ignition coils, presences of spark at igniter, etc. By cycling the power you would have reset any errors the system had detected.
I'm hoping you are correct. He said all the parts looked fine. I didn't hear any kind of vacuum going...not sure how he cleaned it...hmmmm. Probably used a swiffer.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:20 AM

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,513 Posts

I'm hoping you are correct. He said all the parts looked fine. I didn't hear any kind of vacuum going...not sure how he cleaned it...hmmmm. Probably used a swiffer.
It is amazing what you can do with a can of compressed air.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:22 AM

LOL. Never thought of that Dave
Old 02-10-2017, 01:19 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

We have ours cleaned every two or three years. The igniter needs to be replaced every three years. The original igniter lasted 10 years. The replacements are aftermarket and suck.

Quick Reply: Issue with gas furnace - Any experience with this?