S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

MsP's kitchen renovation

Old 03-01-2007, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Mar 1 2007, 03:10 PM
No, the kitchen was installed when the building was built. There is a floor plan around somewhere, but not like the new one.
When we had our house remodeled, the first thing our architect did was to measure everything and draw a set of plans of the original house and lot. Then from there, we designed the additions and changes. So we always had the "before" plan to compare things to. I guess your architect did not work in the same way.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

SIX WEEKS!!!!! Dang that's a long time without a working part of the house. Especially such an important part. Good luck with the remodel.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:26 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

White - I can certainly see doing that when you are changing the configuration of a house, to compare old with new. In this case, we are working with just one room and the basic area remains the same.

Yes, six weeks is the projection. I just hope it isn't longer! But this contractor has been doing these types of kitchens for quite awhile, so he should know. We'll have our microwave, toaster oven, portable refrigerator, crockpot and dining out to get us through. My main concern is dust in the living room and front hallway. I plan to cover just about everything. There are two doors to the kitchen, and I'm hoping he can keep them closed most of the time. The demolition will be the worst. When my designer comes by this afternoon I'm going to discuss it with him.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:03 AM

Granny, I hardly ever use the dishwasher. The +1 is the dishwasher. But, of course, I need one for dinner parties and investment. The pic below shows that the new one will be behind a cabinet door, which I like. Also pictured is the handle I am getting for the drawers, cabinets. Beautiful black wrought iron. The new ceiling fixture I found (forged in Vermont - semiflush mount) hangs down from the ceiling on twisted wrought iron that closely matches the design of the handles. It's really neat. Maybe I can post a pic of the fixture.

The cabinet design pictured was the original one I saw (and loved) when I walked past the Poggen Pohl showroom in Georgetown - which is what got me into this mess. But once I went in and started talking to Daniel about it, I discovered that design was the most expensive one they make, naturally... Which means in the stratosphere on price. So...I came down a few levels to make it semi-manageable. The kitchen is still going to cost about $30K more than I wanted. But this condo is worth any investment I make in it. It's already appreciated almost $200K since I bought it last year. I'll just go look at the view when I start to go crazy.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:36 PM

Here's the light fixture I ordered for the kitchen ceiling. It will replace a really ugly fluorescent fixture. Complements the drawer/cabinet handles nicely, I think.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:15 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,627 Posts

I like that Deb. I think my hallway could use something like that!
Old 03-02-2007, 05:36 PM

Thanks...it's made by Hubbardton Forge. I got something similar thinking I would use it in the kitchen. But I ended up replacing the foyer fixture with that one. This one goes better in the kitchen. I really love semiflush mounts. Right up against the ceiling doesn't appeal to me.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! Looking forward to seeing it all finished!
Old 03-03-2007, 02:59 AM

Received 1,108 Likes on 988 Posts

How come you're not replacing/redoing the floor? Will the cabinet/appliance footprint change from what you have now? I hope that you have tile cover all the floor, and not "cut out" where the cabinets are.

<My parents went thru this kitchen redo about 5-6 years ago, and they weren't planning on changing the tile either. 1/2 of the cabinets had tile under them, the other half didn't. So they had to end up redoing the floor.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:21 AM

I'm not replacing it because I like it (beautiful Mexican rose/salmon-colored sautillo - I matched the granite to it), it is firmly installed, and it is not only in the kitchen, but extends into the foyer, hallway, and second bath. It's also on the balcony. The tile does extend under the refrigerator, etc. The footprint is not changing. There is a small area where the washer dryer will be which needs a few tiles, but the contractor is going to buy and install them. It is a good question, though! If the tile could not be matched, it would be a problem. Fortunately, we don't need much and what is being done will be under the washer dryer.

Spoke with Daniel yesterday about dust during work, etc. He said they will keep the door to the dining room closed with plastic over it, so no dust escapes. That's good. The contractor will use the other door to the foyer, which is tile, so I'm not so concerned about that one. But he can keep it closed, too, when necessary. Should be OK. I'm still going to cover the furniture in the living room, just in case. And I'm having my new demisofa and loveseat, when they are ready, held at the warehouse until this job is finished.

Quick Reply: MsP's kitchen renovation