S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

MsP's kitchen renovation

Old 01-09-2017, 11:26 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Sometimes I load and unload my dishwasher.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,565 Posts

I have a nice dishwasher but it never gets used. We wash the dishes by hand. I do use it to dry the dishes. I run it every once in awhile to make sure it still works.

It's behind the panel to the left of the drawers.

FinishedKitchen6

Last edited by MsPerky; 01-09-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:50 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Sometimes I load and unload my dishwasher.
Interesting...I do the same and it keeps on working.

Gary
Old 07-29-2018, 06:18 PM

Received 911 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Also, I'm still using the rice cooker I bought when I renovated the kitchen. Still working fine after nine years!!
Deb, we are getting close to starting our kitchen demolition and remodeling, and I just spent a great deal of time re-reading this whole thread. You have a very beautiful kitchen! You, your designer, and contractor did a great job!

And...we have a rice cooker that was given to us by goblue's parents when we got married on August 17,1968. It still works great after almost 50 years!!!

When they gave it to us, I thought..."Why would I ever need a rice cooker???"

We have used it many many times for almost 50 years, and it still works great. Of course, we are not using it as often now that we have gone to a lower carb diet.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:23 PM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,565 Posts

Wow!! Amazing. Thanks for your comments and good luck. It was an expensive kitchen but I'm still as happy as the day I finished it.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:41 PM

Received 911 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Wow!! Amazing. Thanks for your comments and good luck. It was an expensive kitchen but I'm still as happy as the day I finished it.
Yeah, ours isn't going to be cheap either, but it will be a big job...knocking down a wall between the kitchen and dining room, knocking out a half wall between the family room and dinette eating space, making a more open floor plan, etc, etc, etc.

We really love our location and that is why we don't want to move, and are making these renovations instead of moving.

Hope we live a lot longer to enjoy it all for many years.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:50 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

^ there's no reason you shouldn't unless the rice cooker blows up...... heaven forbid. Sue, enjoy the kitchen and the total house re-arrangement. Like you we really like our location and have no plans of moving.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:14 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

When I got back to Colorado from the Alaska trip I discovered that the icemaker in the kitchen fridge had developed a leak in the connecting line. The kitchen area and nearby hallway and bedroom were flooded and the basement rooms underneath were completely saturated. Once the cistern was drained by the leak there was fortunately no more water for the flooding, otherwise I would have needed to build an ark! The workers are here now ripping out the floors in the kitchen and damp areas. The cabinets and baseboards will meed to be replaced, but this company just dries up the dampness and treats for mold and odors, while the reconstruction people wait for their turn. I wasn‘t really in the market for a kitchen renovation, but voilá! It‘s a pain, because we have visitors from Germany coming on August 24 for a week. Looks like we will be walking on subflooring for a while...
Old 08-01-2018, 08:42 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

^
That was Rick's concern as far as ice makers go. Simple things CAN cause big problems.

Sue, be sure to post some photos of your kitchen, before, during and after renovations......you too Jim.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:36 AM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Originally Posted by S1997
When I got back to Colorado from the Alaska trip I discovered that the icemaker in the kitchen fridge had developed a leak in the connecting line. The kitchen area and nearby hallway and bedroom were flooded and the basement rooms underneath were completely saturated. Once the cistern was drained by the leak there was fortunately no more water for the flooding, otherwise I would have needed to build an ark! The workers are here now ripping out the floors in the kitchen and damp areas. The cabinets and baseboards will meed to be replaced, but this company just dries up the dampness and treats for mold and odors, while the reconstruction people wait for their turn. I wasn‘t really in the market for a kitchen renovation, but voilá! It‘s a pain, because we have visitors from Germany coming on August 24 for a week. Looks like we will be walking on subflooring for a while...
Oh crap. I have in my packing notes to always turnoff the the water supply to our ice maker if we are going away for a trip. You've motivated me to continue to do that. Do you also have a well or is the cistern your only source for water?

Last edited by dlq04; 08-01-2018 at 12:17 PM.

Quick Reply: MsP's kitchen renovation