S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Netflix

Old 12-25-2016, 04:43 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts
Default Netflix

I was going buy the wife the movie Harry and Snowman (horse movie) and while searching online I saw it was available on Netflix. So I signed up for their offer of a free month. But when I enter the name in their search I come up empty. In fact, I really disappointed with what they have to offer - bunch old stuff we saw years ago or categories we have no interest in. After looking at the offerings I'd have no issue with cancelling the service the day I started. Is there another way to go about this? I don't understand why it doesn't come up.
Old 12-25-2016, 05:09 PM

After more searching I see it's available on Netflix by Video on Demand, which I'm sure means paying for it. I don't mind doing that. So here's my question - if I pay to watch it over my Mac, can I watch it on TV? I don't see where the TV selections give me a choice to select Video on Demand.

I know several here have said from time to time they use Netflix, so any assistance would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:25 PM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

I know Comcast and Net Flix are working together, but was not sure if that had started already. When I'm watching Net Flix I'm watching on my smart TV. Is your TV smart?

Not all movies are available on Netflix. I just looked up your title and don't see it. You are right, many of their titles are older. I tend to watch some of their exclusive programing/series vs movies on Netflix.

Sorry I can't answer your specific question.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:15 AM

Our TV is not too smart. Not yet anyways. I've been trying to teach it a few things but its got an attitude. What can you expect from a 9 year old.

She did watch a different horse movie last night. Then we started watching a foreign movie and finished it up this morning. It had an unusual ending and I wanted to look it up on the Net but after it ended there was no record we watched it (unlike Comcast which shows everything you've watched separately). I didn't pay close attention to the name; so I guess I'm out of luck. Strike 2.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:04 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 763 Posts

Our subscription to Netflix lasted exactly one month, and we have a "smart" TV.

Waiting to see what brings you to strike 3.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:48 AM

Received 696 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
Our subscription to Netflix lasted exactly one month, and we have a "smart" TV.

Waiting to see what brings you to strike 3.
What didn't you like Gene. We retired our 23 YO Sony and got a smart tv. We were thinking about signing up on Netflix.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:53 AM

Received 2,966 Likes on 1,651 Posts

I have an unsmart TV, too. It came with my house when I bought it in 2008. The picture is fine and I don't watch much TV.

I have a Netflix 3 at a time DVD subscription that is a $17.27 per month charge on my credit card. I'm having trouble keeping movies in my Queue. I'm keeping the account though. I tend to go for the Independent movies that I've never heard of but after reading about them I chose them.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04
Our TV is not too smart. Not yet anyways. I've been trying to teach it a few things but its got an attitude. What can you expect from a 9 year old.

She did watch a different horse movie last night. Then we started watching a foreign movie and finished it up this morning. It had an unusual ending and I wanted to look it up on the Net but after it ended there was no record we watched it (unlike Comcast which shows everything you've watched separately). I didn't pay close attention to the name; so I guess I'm out of luck. Strike 2.
It took me an hour of searching but I did find the 2000/2001 movie we watched. It was called Last Resort. Definitely not a Hollywood type movie but a wonderful movie in the sense it felt really honest; almost documentary about a Russian mother and son in a strange land, England, not by choice but do to a guy who leaves her stranded, poor, no friends, etc. The mother/son spoke Russian a lot without subtitles but it wasn't too difficult to follow and added to the effect of the movie.

Last edited by dlq04; 12-26-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
What didn't you like Gene. We retired our 23 YO Sony and got a smart tv. We were thinking about signing up on Netflix.
I'm not Gene, But Dave's one day impression is it's fine if you like movies but haven't seen many over the past decade or longer. Generally speaking I prefer drama movies over everything else. I didn't see but two or three with good ratings that I had not seen already. We had HBO, Cinimax, etc. previously. We dropped that package because of the lack of good new movies; unless you use "on demand" where you pay extra. We can do that anytime without subscribing to the so-called movie channels. Even then we only do on demand perhaps three times a year. They do have some series that have won top awards and are only available there.

The Netflix free plan I signed up would normally run $10/mo.

Last edited by dlq04; 12-26-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:37 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

If you want the up to date movies, on Net Flix, you need to get the plans that send DVD's to your house. We have the cheapest of those plans at $4.99, I think we get two/month which is plenty. We also added the streaming plan for $11.99/month. Up to four people can watch different things at once. Granddaughter utilizes that at her house, on her laptop, etc.

I like the Netflix exclusive shows, occasionally, I'll watch a movie I haven't seen. When we hit the re-run season on TV which seems like all the time, I'm happy to have the Netflix and Amazon Prime options.

Quick Reply: Netflix