S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

A "new" boat

Old 01-03-2015, 07:38 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default A "new" boat

Surprise everyone. I am actually posting some pictures. No, it's not the end of the world. I'm just excited about my "new" little boat and wanted to share.

For the back story on this, I own two boats. A 14 foot Cape Horn and a 26 foot Robalo. This past summer I had to use my 14 footer exclusively while the 26 footer was being repaired (long story, bad memory, don't ask). It made me realize the limitations of the 14 footer so I decided to upgrade at the "small boat" position to something in the 18 to 19 foot class. This size boat would still serve very well in the inlets but also allow me to go out with one or two other people into Vineyard sound on a good boating day. But what to buy? The 14 is a center console boat, just like my 26 footer. Why not get something different?

I hunted around and was very excited when I found this 18 footer. It was for sale in South Carolina, so I watched it for a long time. I didn't want to go through all the trouble of hiring a surveyor and a shipping company for a boat this small. But then the seller cut his price in half, so I contacted him. We talked a couple of times and I told him I would think about it. Then he cut his price again! It became too good a deal to resist. Even with the cost of inspection and shipping this still ended up costing me less than half the market value of the boat.

So the boat got shipped up to Cape Cod. But I've been home suffering from the Jerry Plague and did not have the chance to go see it until today. I was a little pensive, but there was no need. It was even better in person that it was in the pictures. And locked in the little cabin was a treasure trove of boating gear and equipment that the seller decided to throw in. I spent an enjoyable afternoon unloading all the gear and sorting it out, but the best part was just going aboard and climbing around the new little boat.

Those who live in the northeast will be familiar with the Novi hull design. It is an old design and somewhat out of fashion with today's high speed boaters. But it has the classic lines of the New England trawlers and working boats of another age. She takes me back to my childhood when I used to go fishing with my dad on his 40 foot Novi. I think she's a pip. I hope you enjoy the pics.

The Novi lines

Standing at the bow

Walking the gunnels.

Ahoy from the frozen north!

Old 01-03-2015, 07:44 PM

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Congrats on the new addition. May there be fair sea wherever she sails.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:45 PM

Thanks David!
Old 01-03-2015, 07:55 PM

Received 702 Likes on 475 Posts

She looks very seaworthy. Is that an 8' beam? Looks bigger than 18' with that nice cabin. Good luck with her Bill.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:01 PM

Thanks Ray. 7'4" beam. The Novis always look bigger. I think it is the sharp bow entry line. It allows for a lot more useful space up front. The cabin can actually sleep two and has a "head" plumbed in. While I doubt anyone will ever sleep in it, the cabin with a head gives us a lot more flexibility to stay out for the day.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like boats Bill.. nothing more relaxing.. and she sure is pretty, clean lines, congrats... so now, you have 3 boat.. Be a nice follow up photo of the Fleet.. I used to have a 19ft day-sailor, might be something for me to consider...
Old 01-03-2015, 09:26 PM

Received 4,945 Likes on 2,999 Posts

I know nothing about boats bigger than 12' but that looks like a great fishing boat.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ryuu
I like boats Bill.. nothing more relaxing.. and she sure is pretty, clean lines, congrats... so now, you have 3 boat.. Be a nice follow up photo of the Fleet.. I used to have a 19ft day-sailor, might be something for me to consider...

Thanks Ryuu. I need to sell the 14 footer now. I hate to let her go, but I only have so much time, space and $$. I thought about buying a sail boat, but stayed with power boats for this one.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04
I know nothing about boats bigger than 12' but that looks like a great fishing boat.

Dave,

She sure looks the part but I noticed she doesn't have any rod holders. I don't think the original owner ever fished this boat. So I will be making a few modifications in that area.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:09 AM

Received 2,592 Likes on 1,569 Posts

Glad you found a boat, LB! It is interesting looking...kinda like half the stern got lost.

Quick Reply: A "new" boat