S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Snow

Old 01-07-2017, 09:03 AM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Default Snow

"I was tuning in my six o'clock newscast,
The weatherman mentioned snow,
As soon as I heard that four letter word,
I was making my plans to go."
Jesse Winchester "Snow"

I'm sitting here in my study looking out the window watching the snow fall. I'm trying to think of something nice to say about it, but I can't. For the life of me I can't think of any reason that I should be happy that it's snowing.

It's Saturday morning and I had all kinds of great plans for the day. For starters, I was going to take my S2000 out for a drive. I haven't had it out of the garage since the middle of November. Last week I put the battery on a charger and got it ready to go. I was all set to take a top down drive in the cold weather. I love driving top down when it's cold outside. Gloves, a scarf, the heater turned up and you're good to go. There is nothing quite as exhilarating as a cold weather, top down drive, but it's snowing so the S stays asleep for another week.

I was going to prune some of the trees on our property. Last week, when it was raining, I sharpened my chain saw and got my pruning shears ready to go. Over the last year or two some of the trees and shrubs on our property have grown wildly and it's time to trim them back. But, it's snowing and it's dangerous to use a chain saw when it's slippery outside and it's not a lot of fun to prune the trees in the snow. So, the pruning will have to wait for another week.

I was going to clean out my garage and shed. Somehow stuff has a way of accumulating over time. I think it actually gives birth and grows when I'm not looking. I don't remember getting all of the stuff that I have in my garage and shed, but somehow it got there. But it's snowing, and because of the snow I can't line things up on my driveway while I decide what to throw out, what to keep and how to organize the space.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. I had so many great plans for today. But instead we're getting snow. Originally the prediction was for a dusting to an inch, but I just heard that it could be 4 to 6 inches. Looking out the window it does look like we're having a big storm. I guess I'll just have to put off my plans for another week and spend another lazy Saturday indoors.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:19 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

It could be worse, bro. 8 to 12 predicted here. I just took apart a reel and rod to clean them up for spring. The reel is ok and ready to go, but it turns out the rod has a bad eye and will need to be replaced. If the snow all gets cleaned up tomorrow, I'll go to Bass Pro Shop and do a little shopping.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:37 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Let it snow,Let it snow, Let it snow...
Old 01-07-2017, 03:50 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

We are supposed to get up to 7 inches of rain around here. I'd rather have snow, it's prettier, you can go out in it for short periods of time and not get soaked, it's quiet, it won't leak into your house, it can hide an untidy front yard, and did I mention it's pretty? See, lots of things good to say about snow. Of course I live in California....
Old 01-07-2017, 04:05 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
We are supposed to get up to 7 inches of rain around here. I'd rather have snow, it's prettier, you can go out in it for short periods of time and not get soaked, it's quiet, it won't leak into your house, it can hide an untidy front yard, and did I mention it's pretty? See, lots of things good to say about snow. Of course I live in California....
Morris,if you think it's pretty,I can let you have mne...
Old 01-07-2017, 05:56 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Thank you for your kind offer. I think it would be easier for me to drive 3 hours up to the Sierra's and play in it there, so you keep all of yours. I don't want you to feel left out.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:11 PM

Received 2,967 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Wah wah wah, Rob. What would be better, perhaps, is that you get snow more often. Then you'd come up with snow day indoor activities or how about cross country skiing?

My brother in law works on stained glass when the weather keeps him inside in Colorado Springs. I have coloring books I may break out with the rain here in Sacramento, while I'm caring for my daughter after her minor knee surgery.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:44 PM

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,620 Posts

We were at 11" by 8:00 PM with predictions of 12-15 before it's over.

Like many in the north east I think snow sucks. It cramps your style too. Makes it hard to get around, actually most dangerous today. You can't get the stuff done that you need to do. No going out to dinner. Even with a Jeep it was just crazy to be out today and lots of places shut down anyway. And then there is the trip to the grocery store. It's nuts! Indoor keep busy stuff when one would rather be outside only entertains for a while. If you don't like cold outdoor activities, cross country skiing won't be high on the list.

Only alternative for those of us who don't like the white stuff is to move. Three of my sisters have done so......
Old 01-07-2017, 06:52 PM

Received 2,967 Likes on 1,652 Posts

I'm sorry for being a brat. I have no excuse.

My son lives outside Boulder, CO, in Niwot. It's his first winter. He has been sharing photos with me. It's gorgeous. The sun comes out and he can see the Rockies from his house. So far he likes it but he has worked from home more than once (Google). I'll try to snag a photo or two to share.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:02 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

For once I get to smile smugly while reading the snow reports. No snow here. I actually can look out on my green lawn in January!

Can I complain about the temperature? It is 13° right now and the high forecast for tomorrow isn't much better.

Quick Reply: Snow